tonycpsu

2017 Losers Thread: The Agony of Defeat

Finished second in my h2h redraft to the fifth seed. Main reason was my offense didn't show up - Blackmon, Rizzo, Cano and my pitching was just too injured to make a solid push in pitching cats - I was missing fulmer degrom Paxton and Nelson. 

Next year my change will will be to neglect average more and focus more on homeruns rbis and runs, and to draft a true bonafide ace like sale or kluber. I'll probably completely punt saves and for hitters I'll be paying more attention to walk rates when I target guys.

Picks that absolutely killed me were Gregory polanco and Xander Boagearts. I told myself pre draft not to pick guys that are injury prone and I broke my rule!

For pitchers I'll be drafting guys with lower upside but greater durability like chris archer and Jose Quintana. I want to maximize my chances of my staff being in tact come playoff time.

4 hours ago, ktierne3 said:

Finished second in my h2h redraft to the fifth seed. Main reason was my offense didn't show up - Blackmon, Rizzo, Cano and my pitching was just too injured to make a solid push in pitching cats - I was missing fulmer degrom Paxton and Nelson. 

Next year my change will will be to neglect average more and focus more on homeruns rbis and runs, and to draft a true bonafide ace like sale or kluber. I'll probably completely punt saves and for hitters I'll be paying more attention to walk rates when I target guys.

Picks that absolutely killed me were Gregory polanco and Xander Boagearts. I told myself pre draft not to pick guys that are injury prone and I broke my rule!

For pitchers I'll be drafting guys with lower upside but greater durability like chris archer and Jose Quintana. I want to maximize my chances of my staff being in tact come playoff time.

The ironic part that in the championship round (assuming it was the final week of the season), a bonafide ace wouldn't have helped. It helps getting you to the finals though.

Speaking of bad picks: does Dahl ring a bell?

I finished 4th in one 0f my roto leagues by .5 of a point got passed on the last day in BA the final difference was .2645 to .2643, missed out on $100

Edited by azeri98
add

17 minutes ago, exm said:

The ironic part that in the championship round (assuming it was the final week of the season), a bonafide ace wouldn't have helped. It helps getting you to the finals though.

Speaking of bad picks: does Dahl ring a bell?

Haha I stayed the hell away from Dahl. Every bad pick I make comes from me trying to outsmart myself...I take it that Dahl burned you?

Edited by ktierne3

3 minutes ago, ktierne3 said:

Haha I stayed the hell away from Dahl. Every bad pick I make comes from me trying to outsmart myself...I take it that Dahl burned you?

I am > 10 leagues and I targeted him in all of them. OUCH.

The best owner in my league dominated the season from the middle of May all the way until the last day. The guy in 2nd closed the gap to 3 roto points going into the final day. He streamed 5 pitchers off the waiver wire - Gausman, Mendgen, Bridwell, Snell, and Pivetta. They threw 33 innings of 1 earned ball and 40 strikeouts with 4 wins. He ended up passing the guy in strikeouts and wins and swung 4 points to pass him on the final day. He won by 1 win and 6 strikeouts. Miracles do happen people.

The guy who was passed had extended his lead all the way up to 10 roto points with one week to go and lead for 70% of the season. The winner made up 10 roto points in the final week. No team is ever out of contention!

12 hours ago, Bravesfan155 said:

The best owner in my league dominated the season from the middle of May all the way until the last day. The guy in 2nd closed the gap to 3 roto points going into the final day. He streamed 5 pitchers off the waiver wire - Gausman, Mendgen, Bridwell, Snell, and Pivetta. They threw 33 innings of 1 earned ball and 40 strikeouts with 4 wins. He ended up passing the guy in strikeouts and wins and swung 4 points to pass him on the final day. He won by 1 win and 6 strikeouts. Miracles do happen people.

The guy who was passed had extended his lead all the way up to 10 roto points with one week to go and lead for 70% of the season. The winner made up 10 roto points in the final week. No team is ever out of contention!

Holy crap.  I recognize most of those names because they were involved in me hanging on in my AL-Only league. After struggling to get wins all season I magically get wins out of Archer, Junis, and CFulmer on Saturday despite them all going about 5-6 IP with little run support.  But the guy in second had Gausman and Hamels on Sunday.  A win by either would have made us tie, but Snell outdueled Gausman.  I win by .5 pts thanks to a few thousandths of a point lead in BA.

But this is about failures.  In my NL-Only league I give away expensive contracts for Kershaw and Scherzer assuming I will just buy one of them at the draft when they get cut before the draft.  Neither gets cut.  There's no pitching to buy.  I spend on offense including Starling Marte (suspension), Freeman (injury), and I'm convinced nothing will come of Kang's DUI.  Two HUGE FAAB situations then occur.  Ian Happ is called up and I lose the bid via a tiebreaker. I needed that so badly after losing Freeman.  Then late in the season I'm trying to decide whether to place a middling bid on Rhys Hoskins just in case or a strong bid to make sure I get him.  I decide to make a strong bid, but since I've already placed it I don't bother double-checking.  Turns out my bid was $14, not $26. The guy who got him won the league. All because I was too lazy to check my bid. My pitching was so horrible that still wouldn't have boosted me, though.

Edited by Squeeealer