Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmbargoLifted

2018 First Rounders Discussion

Recommended Posts

Just now, exm said:

 

I'm concerned about J-Ram's bad month of August. I need consistency and reliability from my first rounder.

 

he had a horrible May too.  Though thats not unusual for a young player to be streaky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

 

he had a horrible May too.  Though thats not unusual for a young player to be streaky.

 

That's 2/6 months. It's fine in Roto but in H2H that's a killer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

 

he had a horrible May too.  Though thats not unusual for a young player to be streaky.

They get streaky when they're older too, it's baseball..

 

 

55 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

 

hey I'm not saying he's a bad player ... but I think his Hrs fall back down to earth and his SBs cap out at 15-20.  A very good useful player, I just don't if it's first round material. 

 

He replicated his sb from last year with 18 fewer PA and an abysmal hit rate despite finally getting over a double digit walk rate. His success rate on steals improved, albeit barely.

 

With health I confidently project 30 steals for Mookie next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billofwa said:

Goldy going that far down is blasphemy.

 

 

I agree...Hell, I almost took him at 7...He's only 30 so it's not like he's that old...People obviously wanted youth with stud production in the first round...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zombies said:

 

 

I agree...Hell, I almost took him at 7...He's only 30 so it's not like he's that old...People obviously wanted youth with stud production in the first round...

 

Only problem I see with Goldy is declining steals and 1st base being super deep. My head tells me he's a top 5 pick easily, but I know come draft time I would be hard pressed to pick him there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brockpapersizer said:

 

Only problem I see with Goldy is declining steals and 1st base being super deep. My head tells me he's a top 5 pick easily, but I know come draft time I would be hard pressed to pick him there. 

 

 

For sure...At 7 with a 24 year old Mookie on the board I couldn't go Goldy...Still, I didn't think he'd fall that far...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Trout

2. Altuve

3. Turner

4. Goldschmidt

5. Rizzo - I can play him at 2nd base at most sites 

6. Betts

7.Judge

8. Stanton

9. Scherzer

10. Bryant

11. Kershaw

12. Correa

 

Standard Redraft

Given the 2nd pick though I might take Turner as I really feel the best is yet to come

Stanton could rise if Miami trades him to a better park or fall if the opposite happens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

 

hey I'm not saying he's a bad player ... but I think his Hrs fall back down to earth and his SBs cap out at 15-20.  A very good useful player, I just don't if it's first round material. 

I don't own him, but I've liked him since he first emerged last season.  I wouldn't be surprised if his HRs fall a little next season, or at least when MLB decides to stop juicing the baseballs.  He's still going to be a pretty valuable player though, but I probably wouldn't take him in the first round either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

 

5. Rizzo - I can play him at 2nd base at most sites 

 

 

 

 

Yahoo- he will have 2b

ESPN- no 2b

CBS- no 2b

NFBC- no 2b

 

20 games is standard, yahoo consistently poops the bed for position eligibility, IMO.   

 

Rizzo obviously carries a lot more value with 2b eligibility, more of a back round 1st rounder for me though.  Need the steals.  Can't see why  I wouldn't rather have Jose Ramirez though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is theres a platform where we can mockdraft already? Not available on Yahoo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bryant was consensus Top 3 last year. I'm still a believer.  I think the injury sapped that power and he'll be back in the top 3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MugsyBogues said:

Bryant was consensus Top 3 last year. I'm still a believer.  I think the injury sapped that power and he'll be back in the top 3. 

 

Bryant is very good and still is, but he was not consensus top 3 last year. I dont think there was a consensus after Trout, and technically some rare instances people were pro Kershaw, and in other cases Arenado was pushed ahead of him.  Last year was mostly Trout Betts/Altuve Kershaw Bryant Arenado, but I wouldn't call that consensus.

 

He's really good, not sure I'd take him in top 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dodgers said:

Most pvt leagues I see people post on here use 10 games over the years. 

 

Don't know what PVT is, but that doesn't make sense since yahoo uses 5 and all other main sites use 20. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dodgers said:

Private leagues. I figure most of the people that spend time posting on a forum play in private leagues that you set your own rules. 

 

Im sure a lot of people play in 10 game positional leagues, but I'm willing to bet its well below the amount of people who use the default 20 or 5.   On EPSN and Yahoo you can't change the default position requirement and overwhelmingly people play on yahoo or ESPN with others sprinkled in and NFBC and CBS are among those (where you can't change the settings either).  The number of people playing on fantrax or onroto and then setting it to 10 games is a clear minority.   10 is better than 5 IMO, so better than yahoo. 

 

I think a lot of people are going to get cut with Rizzo in yahoo leagues thinking they have unlocked some secret advantage by getting him at 2nd.  If you play in a deep yahoo league with MI and CI his value is clearly strengthened by being able to play him in 5 seperate spots.  That being said, I think Jose Ramirez is a better bet for average and steals and has 3b instead of the deeper 1b. 

 

The people really benefitting from Rizzo are the ones in yahoo keeper leagues. Congrats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Low and Away said:

1. Trout

2. Altuve

3. Turner

4. Goldschmidt

5. Rizzo - I can play him at 2nd base at most sites 

6. Betts

7.Judge

8. Stanton

9. Scherzer

10. Bryant

11. Kershaw

12. Correa

 

Standard Redraft

Given the 2nd pick though I might take Turner as I really feel the best is yet to come

Stanton could rise if Miami trades him to a better park or fall if the opposite happens

 

There's no way I would take Judge over Bryant but maybe thats just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

Bryant is very good and still is, but he was not consensus top 3 last year. I dont think there was a consensus after Trout, and technically some rare instances people were pro Kershaw, and in other cases Arenado was pushed ahead of him.  Last year was mostly Trout Betts/Altuve Kershaw Bryant Arenado, but I wouldn't call that consensus.

 

He's really good, not sure I'd take him in top 3

I felt like it was pretty common to go Trout-Betts-KB last year. I'd never take a pitcher that early, considering I prefer H2H. 

 

Altuve, while an obvious Top 3 talent now, wasn't as valued as KB to begin the season. I had Altuve in a keeper and was pretty locked into his ranking. Then, I traded him and a pick for KB. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Evincar said:

 

There's no way I would take Judge over Bryant but maybe thats just me.

Laughable to even consider it, IMO. But, to each his own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

I felt like it was pretty common to go Trout-Betts-KB last year. I'd never take a pitcher that early, considering I prefer H2H. 

 

Altuve, while an obvious Top 3 talent now, wasn't as valued as KB to begin the season. I had Altuve in a keeper and was pretty locked into his ranking. Then, I traded him and a pick for KB. :(

 

Both NFBC and FantasyPros had altuve ahead of Bryant. In fact if you just google "2017 fantasy baseball ADP" the first 3 entries all have altuve over Bryant. Altuve was the #1 player in 2016. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dodgers said:

I don't have him any of them but in my 3 keeper leagues we use a 10 game rule so he qualifies there next year. All on CBS

 

You sure about that? It takes  5 or 10 to qualify there for in season but 20 for next year.  I'm not sure if you can change it on CBS, but even if you can, you have 3 different comissioners who all changed the default from 20 to 10?

 

You might just be viewing in season  qualifications that won't carry over, but it's also possible what you are saying is correct. 

 

I play in 2 CBS leagues

 

"During the fantasy season, all MLB players will remain eligible at their initial (pre-season) designated primary position, and will also be eligible at any position at which they played at least 20 games in 2016 or at least 5 games in 2017. Also, be aware that a player's primary position may change at any time at the sole discretion of the Commissioner, CBS Sports. "

 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/games/free/rules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

You sure about that? It takes  5 or 10 to qualify there for in season but 20 for next year.  I'm not sure if you can change it on CBS, but even if you can, you have 3 different comissioners who all changed the default from 20 to 10?

 

You might just be viewing in season  qualifications that won't carry over, but it's also possible what you are saying is correct. 

 

I play in 2 CBS leagues

 

"During the fantasy season, all MLB players will remain eligible at their initial (pre-season) designated primary position, and will also be eligible at any position at which they played at least 20 games in 2016 or at least 5 games in 2017. Also, be aware that a player's primary position may change at any time at the sole discretion of the Commissioner, CBS Sports. "

 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/games/free/rules

I agree with everything you've said in this topic. I'm not gonna argue rankings since everyone plays different ways but I haven't seen Charlie Blackmon anywhere mentioned. Unless it's keepers for 3 years, than Regardless of age I'm not sure how Blackmon is overlooked. 

 

I play roto fyi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2017 at 7:55 PM, exm said:

 

I'm concerned about J-Ram's bad month of August. I need consistency and reliability from my first rounder.

Probably one of the better hitters in baseball, he's 25, steals bags, plays everywhere. Nuff said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, zstlj said:

I agree with everything you've said in this topic. I'm not gonna argue rankings since everyone plays different ways but I haven't seen Charlie Blackmon anywhere mentioned. Unless it's keepers for 3 years, than Regardless of age I'm not sure how Blackmon is overlooked. 

 

I play roto fyi

 

He was mentioned earlier in this thread a lot. There’s going to be a big betts vs Blackmon debate this year it seems. Both are first rounders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2017 at 8:19 PM, brockpapersizer said:

They get streaky when they're older too, it's baseball..

 

 

 

He replicated his sb from last year with 18 fewer PA and an abysmal hit rate despite finally getting over a double digit walk rate. His success rate on steals improved, albeit barely.

 

With health I confidently project 30 steals for Mookie next year.

Some evidence suggests vets are less streaky than young players. Merits being emotional stability plays a role. Aka mental maturity and wisdom thru experience.

 

(That is not to say vets are not streaky, of course they are. Its just volatility is less)

 

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/are-veterans-better-at-slump-busting/

 

For whatever its worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

He was mentioned earlier in this thread a lot. There’s going to be a big betts vs Blackmon debate this year it seems. Both are first rounders. 

I did not inform myself my bad. Both definitely first rounders agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.