verismo

Josh Richardson 2017-2018 Outlook

12pts 4blocks 1 three, 1 steal, 3 rebounds tonight albeit a preseason game..

maybe a sneaky 1/1/1

Is he worth a flier or is he going to succumb to dion waiters? 

Depends. Waiters is dealing with an ankle injury it seems. He could do wonders, or he could be held back.

He is most definitely worry a flier.  He's probably my most targeted Heat player.  Great ADP and he could blow his ranking out of the water. 

Edited by Gorgeous George

I like Richardson a lot, but one of those blocks came because he fell asleep on defence and allowed Schroder to easily get to the rim. Thankfully, Richardson was able to use his incredible athleticism to make up for this lull and blocked the sh!t out of Schroder at the rim.

In Miami's positionless system, you have to move past the tired narrative of traditional depth charts and "mouths to feed."  He will play PG, SG, and SF in their system and get 28-32 minutes.  I hope people are hung up on depth charts and Waiters so he will keep falling in drafts or can be bought cheaply.  At the end of the day, minutes are all that matter.

• Like 2

If Waiters was healthy then i think people will get hung up on depth. A strong preseason from Richardson is gonna make him not much of a sleeper

The talent gap between him and Waiters defensively is laughable. He should get all the minutes he can handle. 

Probably the most legit 1/1/1 sleeper out of all the late round guys.  It's simple.  He gets minutes, he gets 1/1/1.  Injuries have been the issue.  Also a great pick for punt points build.  

Damn. He just needs those mins. Heat has some depth though.

Waiters has decent offense but I think he is Dragic's backup. Winslow doesn't look like he is ready for big time. Tyler Johonson will get his. And the mcgruder/ellington will get the "luke babbit" minutes.

I am thinking 25 mins a game? You guys?

If they are going to play him at PG as they did today in addition to SG and SF then I don’t think minutes will be much of an issue. The team also looks quite keen to develop him. 

Bit the bullet and dumped Chandler Parsons for Richardson after today’s game. 

16 minutes ago, HarmStrong said:

If they are going to play him at PG as they did today in addition to SG and SF then I don’t think minutes will be much of an issue. The team also looks quite keen to develop him. 

Bit the bullet and dumped Chandler Parsons for Richardson after today’s game. 

they have T.Johnson as their backup pg

42 minutes ago, Lakers_Fan2 said:

Minutes will always be the issue here.  Will be watching that roster carefully as guys go down.  

Not necessarily.  Richardson got 30 min/game last season and was a deep league streamer at best.  I'm not trusting Richardson until he shows consistency during the regular season.

2 hours ago, kane said:

they have T.Johnson as their backup pg

Sure, but they started him today and played nearly 30 minutes at PG. That says something, no?

There's so much talent in the later rounds nowadays that there are guys sitting on my wire who are incredible even in a 12 man.. gotta love how deep the NBA is now.. it's making fantasy so fun and competitive compared to years past.

Josh Richardson will end up being the biggest steal in fantasy this year considering his current ADP.. I got him in the 10th round of my 12 man draft yesterday and I'm stoked.. these blocks,steals, 3's and a sprinkle of boards/assists with improved %'s is looking unreal in preseason. This is the type of pick who'll end up winning you a week just by himself in 3 categories, and even in his off-games he'll still put up well-rounded lines.

He can play 3 positions, he's a lock to get 30 mpg as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rob0403 said:

Damn. He just needs those mins. Heat has some depth though.

Waiters has decent offense but I think he is Dragic's backup. Winslow doesn't look like he is ready for big time. Tyler Johonson will get his. And the mcgruder/ellington will get the "luke babbit" minutes.

I am thinking 25 mins a game? You guys?

A couple of things:

1. He's very versatile and can play multi-positions (up to 3)

2. Spoelstra is able to find minutes for many guys all ranging from 25-30 across various positions (Tyler Johnson, Waiters, Richardson all found significant playing time last year playing alongside eachother, Richardson still had 25 mpg when Waiters was healthy and Tyler was healthy), instead of giving one guy 35+.

Despite the back-court depth last year, check the minutes each month:

image.png.b7c2be4058d82ab1911de194d20e9b7c.png

3. Waiters is the opposite of a healthy player. He already has a sore ankle which caused him to miss time last year, and he said he's "managing" it as we speak. I read previously that he's still playing on a sore ankle currently. If Waiters misses time, Richardson suddenly jumps to 35+ MPG easily.

4. Winslow can play some PF minutes and he can't stretch the floor, he's a playmaker so he gives more assists to help guys score... not worried about his impact cause I just feel he isn't a very good scorer unless he's in the open court or slashes to the bucket, or on the catch and drive when the defense is shifting.

Edited by Lifschitz

Miami Heat with good depth. looks like all the players from Tyler Johnson, Dion Waiters, Mcgruder, Winslow, and even possibly Wayne Ellignton might see some mintues at both the 2 and 3. So i expect a time share of all these players to hurt all their fantasy value.  Josh Richardson to get minutes from 22 to 28 varying on games. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

A couple of things:

1. He's very versatile and can play multi-positions (up to 3)

2. Spoelstra is able to find minutes for many guys all ranging from 25-30 across various positions (Tyler Johnson, Waiters, Richardson all found significant playing time last year playing alongside eachother, Richardson still had 25 mpg when Waiters was healthy and Tyler was healthy), instead of giving one guy 35+.

Despite the back-court depth last year, check the minutes each month:

image.png.b7c2be4058d82ab1911de194d20e9b7c.png

3. Waiters is the opposite of a healthy player. He already has a sore ankle which caused him to miss time last year, and he said he's "managing" it as we speak. I read previously that he's still playing on a sore ankle currently. If Waiters misses time, Richardson suddenly jumps to 35+ MPG easily.

4. Winslow can play some PF minutes and he can't stretch the floor, he's a playmaker so he gives more assists to help guys score... not worried about his impact cause I just feel he isn't a very good scorer unless he's in the open court or slashes to the bucket, or on the catch and drive when the defense is shifting.

I agree. The only thing I would add is that annoying clause that would get Waiters more money if he played more than 70 games. I think the ankle isdue sounds like he is forcing it and Waiters will play less if the Heat can afford it.

Fully on board.  I always picked him up the past two years anytime he was "healthy" and getting PT.  His blocks and 1/1/1 potential from the guard position are too valuable and you get him for basically nothing.  Will absolutely target this year late in drafts.  

Always love his across-the-board production. How high would you guys reach for him though?

Pretty sure he can be had in the last round in standard 12 team leagues.  If you want to ensure you get him 12th round should be safe enough. There are other similar players available even if you miss him.  SG SF are pretty easy to find off waiver in 12 man leagues.  In 14+ leagues it's a different story.

On 10/1/2017 at 9:45 PM, HarmStrong said:

I like Richardson a lot, but one of those blocks came because he fell asleep on defence and allowed Schroder to easily get to the rim. Thankfully, Richardson was able to use his incredible athleticism to make up for this lull and blocked the sh!t out of Schroder at the rim.

This type of analysis is bad when it's in fantasy football, it's even worse in basketball where the number of possessions is so high.

1 hour ago, coyote_5 said:

This type of analysis is bad when it's in fantasy football, it's even worse in basketball where the number of possessions is so high.

???

I was simply stating a fact and don't think for a second the coaching staff doesn't see this. Too many plays like that and a player is likely to lose minutes.

It's worth noting and I did post yesterday that I picked Richardson up, so it's not like I'm telling people to stay away from him.

Josh Richardson... will he be able to get enough minutes since it's very crowded right now in the Heat back court / wings...?

Edited by adithmuluk