verismo

Josh Richardson 2017-2018 Outlook

4 minutes ago, bhkim814 said:

Josh Richardson made 1-of-10 from the field for three points with two rebounds, two assists, one block and one 3-pointer in 36 minutes against the Wizards on Friday.

Yes, this shooting line is brutal and he's been ice cold for almost every game. However, Richardson was outstanding on defense tonight and he's the best perimeter defender on the team, so he's not going to be losing minutes. We've seen him get really hot before and it feels like it's just a matter of time before his shot starts to drop. He still has plenty of pep in his step, so it should click sooner rather than later. Nov 17 - 10:41 PM

This is the type of analysis that keeps us from dropping him. Are we sure he's not writing these?

Edited by hardyharhar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I literally accused them of damage controlling for their "picks", and the example I used was Josh Richardson all of last season

So I am not surprised. At all.

• Like 1

I'm going wire shopping tonight and returning this dude w/ his broke a** shot to the pile.

I ended up dropping him for valentine. Monroe making me regret that decision. Either way. J rich potential is all minutes. Some guys do way more in way less minutes. 

Edited by SuperHans

This guy is a scrub people. Just a guy. Over valued. You can’t hold a guy in hopes he’ll get you a steal and a block every once in a while but kill you everywhere else. Not even sure what scoring option he is on this team honestly. It’s seriously time to move on the next hot FA you see make that move. 

Edited by JooCraig
  • Like 1

Dropped him and grabbed 2017 David West who gets ~1/1 in 10 mins (LOL) for the PHI (possible frontcourt foul trouble for GS) / BKN (Game will be over after 5 minutes) weekend.

I liked Miami’s Indiana match up but FG% is close and I have Marcus Smart playing tomorrow.

I’ll pick him up again if he stays on the wire or Waiters misses time 

Yeah, honestly, as much as I hate to agree with the roto writers, I think he'll bounce back.  He's getting so many minutes due to his defense and he's historically capable of contributing across the board (esp in stocks).  

However, I'm with all of you.  I have him in 3 leagues and even used a waiver for him in one of them.  But unless you're able to bench him every week, you should find someone worthwhile on the wire to replace him and just pick him up when he gets hot eventually.

I'm the type of guy that owns Rusty, Smart and Richardson and still gets pissed when I lose FG every week 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, dboywong said:

I'm the type of guy that owns Rusty, Smart and Richardson and still gets pissed when I lose FG every week 

We have a somewhat similar team except I have a couple fg% gods who keep me somewhat competitive kind of (but still lose it almost every week)

drop city. here's what gonna happen, they like his defense dont like his shot. instead giving him shots they turn him into tony allen type player. 

8 hours ago, Judicious said:

I literally accused them of damage controlling for their "picks", and the example I used was Josh Richardson all of last season

So I am not surprised. At all.

You guys remember KoQ a few years ago?  Bruski kept urging us to hold KoQ, constantly throwing numbers and promising returns over and over while KoQ languished on the bench IRL?  And then, every once in a while, KoQ would get heavy minutes, drop a fat statline and Bruski would go crazy, telling us, "THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD'VE KEPT HIM"...and the next four games, KoQ would go back to dropping duds?

Same thing but:

Instead of KoQ, it's Josh Richardson.

Instead of Bruski, it's the entire rotoworld staff.

Instead of Per 36-min numbers for KoQ being thrown at us, it's last year's post-ASB numbers for JRich.

Instead of KoQ getting no minutes, it's JRich getting heavy minutes but doing nothing except shooting us out of FG%.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MWon said:

You guys remember KoQ a few years ago?  Bruski kept urging us to hold KoQ, constantly throwing numbers and promising returns over and over while KoQ languished on the bench IRL?  And then, every once in a while, KoQ would get heavy minutes, drop a fat statline and Bruski would go crazy, telling us, "THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD'VE KEPT HIM"...and the next four games, KoQ would go back to dropping duds?

Same thing but:

Instead of Per 36-min numbers for KoQ being thrown at us, it's last year's post-ASB numbers for JRich.

Instead of KoQ getting no minutes, it's JRich getting heavy minutes but doing nothing except shooting us out of FG%.

Players are not all one and the same.

KOQ did have great per-minute stats, he did produce when he was given playing time, but they didn't account for one thing - he couldn't stay on the floor, and he hurt his team by sending other players to the line, which relegated him to the bench.

Richardson on the other hand is a guy with a decent looking jumpshot, athleticism, and can even handle the ball. So when his shot inevitably starts falling (he's not going to score 7-9 points the entire year and missing a gazillion 3's - his shot isn't Marcus Smart bad), they will actually be correct in their assessment; he's being given minutes and plays fantastic defense at one of the most important positions today to shut down offensive talents, unlike KOQ. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lifschitz said:

KOQ did have great per-minute stats, he did produce when he was given playing time, but they didn't account for one thing - he couldn't stay on the floor, and he hurt his team by sending other players to the line, which relegated him to the bench.

Richardson on the other hand is a guy with a decent looking jumpshot, athleticism, and can even handle the ball. So when his shot inevitably starts falling (he's not going to score 7-9 points the entire year and missing a gazillion 3's - his shot isn't Marcus Smart bad), they will actually be correct in their assessment; he's being given minutes and plays fantastic defense at one of the most important positions today to shut down offensive talents, unlike KOQ. 

I agree that his shot is not Marcus Smart bad, but I think we can all agree that it's not great either. At this point he's a carreer 0.407 FG, 0.359 3P, and 0.734 FT shooter. Looking at his stats, his problem is mostly his 3 point shot. He's shooting them at an abysmal .289 rate, opposed to .330 last year. Interestingly, his 2 point shot has actually gone up from .444 to .458. The problem is, he's taking more 3 pointers and less 2 pointers than last year, ruining his and our FG%.

Don't really know what to do with him. We all fall in love easily with the out of position blocks in combination with the steals, but at this point they're simply not worth it. His scrubby arse is currently ranked #165 on the season in regular 9-cat. I am pretty confident he would clear waivers in my 12 teamer, and he's the worst player on my team right now. I might drop him tonight for a streamer personally.  

Edited by Roundaworld
Added rank
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MWon said:

Same thing but:

It's telling if you decide to roster or not roster guys based on Rotoworld writer opinions.  Any competent owner should be able to think for himself. 

Edited by El_Chingon

11 hours ago, fairfantasy said:

drop city. here's what gonna happen, they like his defense dont like his shot. instead giving him shots they turn him into tony allen type player. 

Why drop? Trade!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, apatas said:

Why drop? Trade!

Nobody is trading for Richardson outside of 16-20 team leagues.

• Like 2

He's still a hold for me. The role and the minutes are there. He just has to play better. He's only 24 and this is his third season; there is no reason to believe he won't progress as the season moves along.

To me, this is a different situation than a guy who is productive on a per-minute basis but just never plays. Really hard for me to drop a guy who has the minutes/role when all he needs to do is get back to career average efficiency levels in order to be easily Top 100 with Top 50 upside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adithmuluk said:

I’m so glad I dropped him for Mitchell...

I am mortified that I dropped Mitchell early so that I could keep this POS (alongside Mr. effing Upside Nerlens.) Can’t look at myself in the mirror most days. 

Sigh. Holding. He’s getting the minutes. Stocks. Yada yada... shooting will regress to mediocrity and he’ll finish 120ish and that’s okay.

3 minutes ago, IzzyT said:

He's still a hold for me. The role and the minutes are there. He just has to play better. He's only 24 and this is his third season; there is no reason to believe he won't progress as the season moves along.

To me, this is a different situation than a guy who is productive on a per-minute basis but just never plays. Really hard for me to drop a guy who has the minutes/role when all he needs to do is get back to career average efficiency levels in order to be easily Top 100 with Top 50 upside.

he was not that much better last season... 39.9 fg% and avg rank 129

hes a streaky shooter  I guess and I try to trade him away when he finally has some good games...top 50 maybe for a month but overall just a low end fantasy player 

7 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

No, I agree with you 100.  IRL, they're incredibly different players.  My point was that the situation seems eerily similar from a fantasy standpoint, in terms of what rotoworld is telling us to do and the hole we're stuck in.

The hardest thing about JRich isn't because it's hard to drop him due to his upside.  It's hard to drop him because he's getting heavy minutes and as an IRL player, his defense is superb, being able to guard three positions, and he's athletic enough to block shots or steal the ball.  Still think it's only a matter of time before he gets it figured out...the only problem is being able to wait that long.