verismo

Josh Richardson 2017-2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

It's funny, I can see who the consistent members are who frequent this board. I remember back to the beginning of the season in October and early November, and most of those trolls are gone now. The guys who came in here and said TJ Warren sucks and gave a litany of reasons why they need to drop him, Josh Richardson, etc. and tried to convince others to do so.

 

Now here we are in mid December, and we're seeing why you don't make short-sighted moves two weeks into the season, because now you have to watch those guys destroy it on someone else's team.

 

I'm glad some of us hung on to these studs and advised others to do so.

 

Talent always shines through in the end.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Wow those two blocks off the backboard.. I'm speechless.. he FLEW.. the way they slow mo replayed that was awesome. 

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

It's funny, I can see who the consistent members are who frequent this board. I remember back to the beginning of the season in October and early November, and most of those trolls are gone now. The guys who came in here and said TJ Warren sucks and gave a litany of reasons why they need to drop him, Josh Richardson, etc. and tried to convince others to do so.

 

Now here we are in mid December, and we're seeing why you don't make short-sighted moves two weeks into the season, because now you have to watch those guys destroy it on someone else's team.

 

I'm glad some of us hung on to these studs and advised others to do so.

 

Talent always shines through in the end.

I hear you. But when players put up duds for such a long stretch, it takes time for them to change their opinions on a player. I waited for a long time to pick him up. I finally picked him up tonight after him being on my waitlist for a week. I’ve come around on him after tonight, but I needed to see consistencies before I picked him up. Look what happened with a Marquese Chriss. He’s been a dud all year. He’s been getting the same hype as Chriss. The difference is that J RIch is putting in results now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

I hear you. But when players put up duds for such a long stretch, it takes time for them to change their opinions on a player. I waited for a long time to pick him up. I finally picked him up tonight after him being on my waitlist for a week. I’ve come around on him after tonight, but I needed to see consistencies before I picked him up. Look what happened with a Marquese Chriss. He’s been a dud all year. He’s been getting the same hype as Chriss. The difference is that J RIch is putting in results now. 

 

Two players being inconsistent isn't the same thing. Their outcomes, situations, and mental makeup is completely different.

 

Chriss is a lethargic headcase with an extremely low b-ball IQ, he commits silly fouls where he pushes guys in the back, his body language on the court is terrible, and he doesn't really look like he gives a s---. I've seen him push guys, get pulled out of the game, and he's just laughing to himself. He's extremely immature, it has nothing to do with his talent level, he won't get there because he's a headcase.

 

Richardson on the other hand is an intense lead by example guy. I watched both of them extensively, Richardson was simply missing a TON of open jumpshots, clanking them time and again. You can go back pages and pages on this thread where I was defending him, I said it'll correct itself because his stroke looks good, so it's simply that his confidence in his shot was low. 

 

He then went and practiced extra jumpshots.

 

And here we are.

 

image.thumb.png.5d381d66102912768dc1d521967851ad.png

 

kJgGkLh.png

 

 

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah... Patting myself on the back. This guy carried my team to win this week with those def stats.  Thanks Jrich! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lbc88 said:

Yeah... Patting myself on the back. This guy carried my team to win this week with those def stats.  Thanks Jrich! 

 

I was down by 12 3's, he totally brought me back to tie 3's.. it's a good time to pat yourself on the back if you held on to this guy because he was truly beyond awful.. he had a rank 180-200 most of the season prior to this.. it wasn't easy to hang on - so I understand where the people above are coming from. I'm glad they at least got to pick him back up. 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

 

Two players being inconsistent isn't the same thing. Their outcomes, situations, and mental makeup is completely different.

 

Chriss is a lethargic headcase with an extremely low b-ball IQ, he commits silly fouls where he pushes guys in the back, his body language on the court is terrible, and he doesn't really look like he gives a s---. I've seen him push guys, get pulled out of the game, and he's just laughing to himself. He's extremely immature, it has nothing to do with his talent level, he won't get there because he's a headcase.

 

Richardson on the other hand is an intense lead by example guy. I watched both of them extensively, Richardson was simply missing a TON of open jumpshots, clanking them time and again. You can go back pages and pages on this thread where I was defending him, I said it'll correct itself because his stroke looks good, so it's simply that his confidence in his shot was low. 

 

He then went and practiced extra jumpshots.

 

And here we are.

 

image.thumb.png.5d381d66102912768dc1d521967851ad.png

 

kJgGkLh.png

 

 

Good call. I’m not talking about their mental makeup though. I’m talking about what people see when they look at game logs. It still shows up as a dud to them. But to veteran fantasy players like you, you know is just a slump. But there aren’t always expert fantasy players out there. A lot have knee jerk reactions and dump guys when they slump. I did it with THJ after 3 games. But some other owner panicked about Ariza at that same time. I learned my lesson and was patient, and now he’s a top 50 player again...you called it back then, but not every fantasy player is a veteran like you are. Hence, the mass cuts and whining about his slump. But now that he’s found his way out, his patient owners can pat themselves on the back and enjoy his production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lifschitz said:

 

I was down by 12 3's, he totally brought me back to tie 3's.. it's a good time to pat yourself on the back if you held on to this guy because he was truly beyond awful.. he had a rank 180-200 most of the season prior to this.. it wasn't easy to hang on - so I understand where the people above are coming from. I'm glad they at least got to pick him back up. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Had you had Richardson and Ellington this week, you would be killing in 3s. 

 

Got the combo on my team now. Ellington is like a young Steve Novak aka Novakain with minutes. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn J-Rich almost making me regret trading him for Gallinari this week. Today's performance probably would have secured my match up this week too :'(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NBA_OG said:

 

Had you had Richardson and Ellington this week, you would be killing in 3s. 

 

Got the combo on my team now. Ellington is like a young Steve Novak aka Novakain with minutes. lol

He's streaky though (Ellington) who doesn't contribute much elsewhere...fun random fact: you and I share 7/13 players. Cool stuff!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fairfantasy said:

this guy is better than russell westbrook

Since everyone dropped JRich last month . . . 

 

fRz6AmG.png

 

:ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s crazy posters are on here mocking people for dropping j-rich “after two bad weeks”. Of course the incredible irony here is that Richardson had a terrible 1/3 of the season and has now had two good weeks.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joeklebba said:

It’s crazy posters are on here mocking people for dropping j-rich “after two bad weeks”. Of course the incredible irony here is that Richardson had a terrible 1/3 of the season and has now had two good weeks.

 

 

I understand you finding irony in the situation, but that's not how the concept works.. there is a buy low and a sell high for a reason. The idea is, you don't give up on an asset that has potential when it's two weeks into the season - not because he's only been putting up production for a mere two weeks, this just shows what he's capable of, we're not oracles - we don't know if he'll continue this or not either, but it supports the reason for why you hang on. 

 

If what you say is true, then there was zero point drafting him in the first place, because he did this exact same thing last year.

 

By your statement I can only deduce that the logic would extend itself to then being able to drop any young promising player regardless of name as long as they're struggling. 

 

Also, don't exaggerate, it's not 1/3, his struggle only lasted through 15 games in November, that's only 18% of the season. 

 

image.png.5c582475a5b3e70c9eb0666f620884d5.png

Edited by Lifschitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Um, let’s calm ourselves here before patting ourselves on the back. He’s been hot for just 2 weeks.

 

I have him on my roster, but wouldn’t blame anyone for dropping him, cause he was hot garbage.

 

Let’s see if he can maintain this performance once Whiteside is back - I find it too coincidental that his hot streak has coincided with Whiteside being out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

Um, let’s calm ourselves here before patting ourselves on the back. He’s been hot for just 2 weeks.

 

I have him on my roster, but wouldn’t blame anyone for dropping him, cause he was hot garbage.

 

Let’s see if he can maintain this performance once Whiteside is back - I find it too coincidental that his hot streak has coincided with Whiteside being out.

 

His hot streak has literally zero to do with Whiteside, so yea you can stop thinking about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apollo_87 said:

Um, let’s calm ourselves here before patting ourselves on the back. He’s been hot for just 2 weeks.

 

I have him on my roster, but wouldn’t blame anyone for dropping him, cause he was hot garbage.

 

Let’s see if he can maintain this performance once Whiteside is back - I find it too coincidental that his hot streak has coincided with Whiteside being out.

 

So you're going to draft an upside guy and then drop him because he's on a short-term cold streak? He didn't lose minutes, he didn't lose shots, his role didn't change. EVERYTHING stayed the same even though he was playing poorly. You're not going to give a longer leash than an arbitrary short number of 2 weeks? Putting into context that the season is 82 games and that's a small fraction of the overall games played? That makes zero sense to me, then why even pick an upside guy like him?

 

I would blame them for dropping him depending on context. If you're in a 10 man h2h league - then I get it, you have better options, but once you go beyond 12 and above you'd be hard pressed to find that kind of upside on the wire. You really have to strike gold if you're going to make that move and be absolutely assured your pickup will outdo Josh Richardson ROS; your pickup would have to have been someone like a Donovan Mitchell or along those lines to justify the drop. If you're simply dropping him for a streamer type pick up then it's non-sensical, you may as well just not draft any upside and go after high floor low ceiling players that have been around a long time in the league and their stat-set is predictable. 

 

Chriss on the other hand I can completely understand if you had taken a chance on and dropped, but he was also losing minutes and lost his starting job. If Chriss kept receiving 30+ and good volume and his starting role, then you could arguably ride out the wave. There are just so many factors and variables to look at with each individual player, In some cases yes you can make the argument an upside pick is droppable, in others you cannot - like the instance of Jamal Murray and now Josh Rich. 

 

Hell, there's guys who dropped Gary Harris over in the Harris thread because he was ranked 160 in the first few weeks, imagine that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

 

I understand you finding irony in the situation, but that's not how the concept works.. there is a buy low and a sell high for a reason. The idea is, you don't give up on an asset that has potential when it's two weeks into the season - not because he's only been putting up production for a mere two weeks, this just shows what he's capable of, we're not oracles - we don't know if he'll continue this or not either, but it supports the reason for why you hang on. 

 

If what you say is true, then there was zero point drafting him in the first place, because he did this exact same thing last year.

 

By your statement I can only deduce that the logic would extend itself to then being able to drop any young promising player regardless of name as long as they're struggling. 

 

Also, don't exaggerate, it's not 1/3, his struggle only lasted through 15 games in November, that's only 18% of the season. 

 

image.png.5c582475a5b3e70c9eb0666f620884d5.png

 

Devils advocate here: How'd you get 18% of the season?  Since we're talking fantasy here and should be talking fantasy schedule not NBA schedule I think a 3rd sounds about right.  We're in week 10 of roughly 23 weeks played (give or take one or two depending on league settings) of the fantasy season and JRich has been FG diarrhea for basically all of the season up until arguably week 8 or so, so for fantasy purposes I think it's safe to say he's been a real drag to own for close to a third of the season.  

  

Also his Dec averages are a bit skewed.  His two highest FGA games in Dec he was unbelievably red hot from the field (10/16, 11/14, 8/12 from 3 over those two games) so that's padded his averages a lot.  Take those games away though and he's still sitting pretty at 50% FG for the month and for a guy who attempts so many 3s that's gravy.  

 

 

 Anyway maybe FINALLY JRich is ready to consistently knock down shots and be a plus on fantasy rosters.  I'm pessimistic with this dude so obviously I'm waiting for the inevitable 39% shooting week...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I'll summarize it for y'all

 

When the three's are fallin, he's really good. When the three's aren't fallin, he's really bad.

 

I disagree. He always provides stocks and for that reason he'll never be "really bad." The points and FG% is just an added bonus, and not the reason why so many people were high on him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is one of  13 players  who averages  more than 1 3PM, 1 STL and 0.8 BLK for the season. 

People here complain about his FG% 

Consider that he has same FG% as Covington and his FG% for the season is better than Wall. 

http://on.nba.com/2kHPjCH .  

 

If you cannot find use for those stats, then I am curious to know what kind of league are you in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

 

I disagree. He always provides stocks and for that reason he'll never be "really bad." The points and FG% is just an added bonus, and not the reason why so many people were high on him. 

But besides the stocks, he doesn't provide much else when he's off. He doesn't get many boards or assists. That's why I was hesitant for so long to pick him up. I'm falling behind in both cats (Roto league). But his boards have increased this week, so that sealed the deal for me. He's been the #5 player on Fantasypros player rate over the past week. i'm riding him until the wheels fall off at this point, he's too hot to leave on the wire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...