verismo

Josh Richardson 2017-2018 Outlook

9 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

So you're going to draft an upside guy and then drop him because he's on a short-term cold streak? He didn't lose minutes, he didn't lose shots, his role didn't change. EVERYTHING stayed the same even though he was playing poorly. You're not going to give a longer leash than an arbitrary short number of 2 weeks? Putting into context that the season is 82 games and that's a small fraction of the overall games played? That makes zero sense to me, then why even pick an upside guy like him?

I would blame them for dropping him depending on context. If you're in a 10 man h2h league - then I get it, you have better options, but once you go beyond 12 and above you'd be hard pressed to find that kind of upside on the wire. You really have to strike gold if you're going to make that move and be absolutely assured your pickup will outdo Josh Richardson ROS; your pickup would have to have been someone like a Donovan Mitchell or along those lines to justify the drop. If you're simply dropping him for a streamer type pick up then it's non-sensical, you may as well just not draft any upside and go after high floor low ceiling players that have been around a long time in the league and their stat-set is predictable. 

Chriss on the other hand I can completely understand if you had taken a chance on and dropped, but he was also losing minutes and lost his starting job. If Chriss kept receiving 30+ and good volume and his starting role, then you could arguably ride out the wave. There are just so many factors and variables to look at with each individual player, In some cases yes you can make the argument an upside pick is droppable, in others you cannot - like the instance of Jamal Murray and now Josh Rich. 

Hell, there's guys who dropped Gary Harris over in the Harris thread because he was ranked 160 in the first few weeks, imagine that.

Are you Josh Richardson's mom? Cause man, you riding him hard.

I don't understand what's so difficult to understand here: 

1. Picked him in the 10th round in a 12-teamer cause of 'middle-round upside'.

2. 6 weeks into the season (which is a significant sample size, so stop trying to argue that), he was ranked around 120.

3. Dropped him for another option who might actually offer the upside that Richardson wasn't fulfilling.

Going for upside is smart. However sticking with a guy for his upside way longer than you should, not so much. He was such hot garbage, that in my competitive $$ league, I dropped him in Week 6, and was able to pick him up today after his hot streak without anyone going for him.

Edited by Apollo_87
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

2. 6 weeks into the season (which is a significant sample size, so stop trying to argue that), he was ranked around 120.

3. Dropped him for another option who might actually offer the upside that Richardson wasn't fulfilling.

Going for upside is smart. However sticking with a guy for his upside way longer than you should, not so much. He was such hot garbage, that in my competitive $$ league, I dropped him in Week 6, and was able to pick him up today after his hot streak without anyone going for him.

Yes, and that's why it's so hard to pick up guys like that, because they're inconsistent. For all we know, he could get could again starting today. I'm OK with holding a fringe player who gets an occasional dud, but if he produces consistently all year (like John Collins has done), I'm holding. j Rich hasn't been that way this year, so I don't blame owners who dropped him. But with this being said, I hope y'all picked him up again. i did. It seems like he's starting to put it together, but only time will tell!

8 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

You just got him today? That's not a very competitive league then.

It would've taken 2-3 games of what he did and he would've been scooped up in my "money league" just based completely on his upside reputation. You sound like some other trolls around here when you use ad hominem when someone's opinion differs from yours (the snarky little your mom comment).

He wasn't bad all 6 weeks, the first 6 games of the season he was fine (see splits) - which only showed you that he was worth hanging onto if he had a cold spell, and he had some sporadic outings in November where he did ok, but that was his worst month. 

You still didn't really rebuttal anything I really said (minutes, volume, role); and what you stated about 'sticking with a guy for his upside way longer' also isn't true, again, as proven by Jamal Murray and to some extent TJ Warren. Guys who were widely dropped in the first few week - weeks because people didn't stick with their upside "longer than they should", and the teams who stuck with them now got a top 30 player in the last 30 days, and another who's been top 60 all year  - and yes Jamal Murray was hot garbage, and TJ Warren had 4 single digit scoring games in the first week and a half of the season which caused panic for his owners (see thread).

Basically the only argument I'm getting from you is that you prefer high floor low ceiling players, because apparently you expect all of your upside picks to do well every single month and never have cold spells or turn it around, and the history of fantasy sports and basketball (ebbs and flows) says otherwise. 

Unlike you, letting go of Richardson when he's having a bad month despite the peripherals and observation suggesting a turnaround is coming (and to each their own judgement) pretty much means a death sentence for me in my league because some guys are extremely on the ball. And like I stated previously, you have to use your judgement on a case by case scenario - no two players are the same, and coupling observation with looking at stats and having a discerning eye for talent is equally important.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

Yes, and that's why it's so hard to pick up guys like that, because they're inconsistent. For all we know, he could get could again starting today. I'm OK with holding a fringe player who gets an occasional dud, but if he produces consistently all year (like John Collins has done), I'm holding. j Rich hasn't been that way this year, so I don't blame owners who dropped him. But with this being said, I hope y'all picked him up again. i did. It seems like he's starting to put it together, but only time will tell!

Most the guys you pick outside the first 4-5 rounds are going to be inconsistent unless the guy is having an earth shattering breakout season (Gary Harris, Aaron Gordon, Capela, even Covington to some extent), and you can count those on one hand; and that gets exacerbated when you pick upside plays who are young and don't have a long track record.

Anyway I digress, this is getting silly. Let's all of us hope for a big line tonight.

For the record he's ranked top 20 over the last 7 days, and 31 over the last two weeks.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

Most the guys you pick outside the first 4-5 rounds are going to be inconsistent unless the guy is having an earth shattering breakout season (Gary Harris, Aaron Gordon, Capela, even Covington to some extent), and you can count those on one hand; and that gets exacerbated when you pick upside plays who are young and don't have a long track record.

Anyway I digress, this is getting silly. Let's all of us hope for a big line tonight.

Amen to that. He has a 4 game week ahead of him, I'm going to give him a chance to see what he could do before curry comes back. 

1 hour ago, Lifschitz said:

You just got him today? That's not a very competitive league then.

:D

Fantasy basketball has a lot in common with stock market.    You should sell high  and buy low.   And if stock has history of performing well then you hold onto it. 

Same with Josh or any other player that has proven  before it can perform at the high level 

Edited by Gile Pile

Just re-added him to my 10 teamer, he's been sitting on the wire ever since I dropped him a month ago. Pretty sure he's going to play terribly now that I've got him again, sorry in advance!

18 minutes ago, Hyperize said:

Just re-added him to my 10 teamer, he's been sitting on the wire ever since I dropped him a month ago. Pretty sure he's going to play terribly now that I've got him again, sorry in advance!

nah

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Dropped him november 26th after his 0 points game vs Chicago. Now he is on a tear

I'm ******** pissed

patience my young padawan...

patience

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

First game I picked him up, and he gives me this gem of a game, WOW! 

I am convinced you own every player and every hot pickup 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Stock machine...

This line though, 26/4/3/3/2 with 2 threes on great percentages again

taylor negron wow GIF

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Shredded said:

I am convinced you own every player and every hot pickup 

I'm proactive on the wire man, my end of the lineup changes daily. I try to clear roster spots by doing 2 for 1's. I was able to create a spot for J Rich doing that. You have to keep plugging in pieces until they fit. I did that with T.J Warren, Tyreke, Mitchell, and now J Rich. I'm still in 4th place though, but J Rich helped me. The stocks he provides for a guard are amazing. 

• Like 2