verismo

Josh Richardson 2017-2018 Outlook

Posters keep pointing out how everyone is injured on the Heat and he'll go back to off the ball etc; in the NBA, some times coaches need to see a guy get an opportunity where he hasn't had it previously and they'll start using him there much more. Think Barton for example, I always knew he had point forward skills, but with Gallinari gone, Wilson Chandler injured, and their PGs ineffective, they got to see Barton run the offense a lot more and they started giving him PG minutes and increased his role from a 25 mpg guy to 33-35 min. This happens all the time, a guy goes down, coach sees player X step into a role and produce and show new skills the coach didn't know they had, and that's now a big part of the offense. 

I fully believe Josh Richardson will be handling the ball a lot more moving forward, when he's running the offense he looks unguardable - he's so big for a PG and he has handles/is explosive, so he's able to take advantage of much smaller guards by shooting over top of them. It would be inexcusable to let Richardson go from showing he can average 17.5 PPG on 54% shooting in 10 December games to suddenly being a last resort 5th option in the offense again come January when they get their bodies back - which is what he did when he averaged 7.6 PPG on 35% shooting. He's just a much more confident player with the ball in his hands, and previously they didn't use his handle/dribble drive game at all. 

As I've said here and in the JJ thread, Waiters is just a horrifically inefficient basketball player who loves himself too much, and when they cut down his minutes/shots/usage and ultimately bring him off the bench, their team will be better off for it. He's done a better job lately setting up some players like JRich, but overall you can't have this guy taking 17-18 shots and shooting 30%, he takes their entire offense out of it with his long mid range jumpers and pounds the air out of the ball.

I don't believe in communism, but I do when it comes to Waiters and the Miami Heat, spread the wealth.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, #coco said:

Don't expect him to keep up the scoring, but if he can shoot at a decent %, hit a couple treys, and give stocks that's all I can ask for. Anything else is extra from him. 

Yeah, realistic ideal stats for him are probably 12 pts - 3 reb - 2 ast - 1.5 stl - 1 blk with a 3 on like 40% shooting

6 hours ago, hardyharhar said:

Yeah, realistic ideal stats for him are probably 12 pts - 3 reb - 2 ast - 1.5 stl - 1 blk with a 3 on like 40% shooting

i expect  the same with half a 3 more. If he can average this numbers (which seems very possible) its a great player to have on your roster.

• Like 1

He has earned a spot on my roster ROS. The 1/1/1 hype is real, maybe even 1.5/1.5/1.5 if he keeps up his pace. He brings it on D every night, I wouldn't be surprised if he hits this milestone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Raptorfan said:

Wowzer 24/4/5/2/1 . Looks good out there on both ends. 

Plus 2 3's 

:ph34r:

• Like 1

He's en fuego. Drafted him, then dropped, picked back up before this incredible run he is on. Good times. I can't believe his own % is still low on ESPN. ROS numbers should continue to be great. 

This might be getting old, but sorry it's too much fun. Since everyone dropped him last month:

image.png.36a4d988a909e219e334aaaf3a3009bf.png 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kaboom said:

This might be getting old, but sorry it's too much fun. Since everyone dropped him last month:

image.png.36a4d988a909e219e334aaaf3a3009bf.png 

Please stop I can’t take it anymore

• Haha 2

Held him in my weekly league ?, however dropped in my daily league and am conveniently facing his this week?. I can live with the daily decision as of now I'm using his spot as a streamer.

Call me crazy but he looks like the face of the franchise here.. that's multiple games in a row now where he looks like he's the go-to guy for the team. He's pretty much doing whatever he wants here, Dallas is throwing their best defenders on him and have zero answers. At one point Yogi gets into him real rough and Richardson just calmly posts him up and palms the ball for a long fadeaway hook over him.. 

That one handed bullet pass from mid court was sick..

Edited by Lifschitz

1 hour ago, Lifschitz said:

Call me crazy but he looks like the face of the franchise here.. that's multiple games in a row now where he looks like he's the go-to guy for the team. He's pretty much doing whatever he wants here, Dallas is throwing their best defenders on him and have zero answers.

I wouldnt call you crazy, although i think you are exaggerating a bit. I dont see a future franchise player in him, at least not yet. However, he does seem like he could be one of the best two way player of the league at some point which is pretty respectable. Heats have Hassan as their franchise player atm but they might change their minds about it during this season... 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Manos A said:

I wouldnt call you crazy, although i think you are exaggerating a bit. I dont see a future franchise player in him, at least not yet. However, he does seem like he could be one of the best two way player of the league at some point which is pretty respectable. Heats have Hassan as their franchise player atm but they might change their minds about it during this season... 

Whiteside is highly overrated. He doesn't have the highest bball IQ, he relies almost entirely on his length and athleticism and explosiveness, much like DeAndre Jordan. He just gets away with it some times because of his sheer genetic freakishness. He's a decent two-way big man, but far from an ideal face of the franchise. He seems more concerned with his own performance stats, reminds me a little bit of Dwight Howard at times maturity wise; not the most intense player, and definitely not a leader. 

I don't think the Heat have a franchise player currently, that's sort of been the problem. I think they expected Dragic to be that guy but he doesn't always show up. Waiters carries the swagger of a franchise player but plays like a third stringer back-up who's allowed to get away with a lot more than he should be. Enter Richardson, and I think we're looking at something special - barring confidence. The biggest thing with him seems to be putting the ball in his hands. He has the athletic ability, the length, the shooting touch, post moves by backing up smaller guards, a fadeaway jumper in the lane, a baby hook/push shot floater, he can finish with both hands (he extends his left out arm really nicely for finger rolls off of hesitation stop and go moves), and he plays with intensity. You can see him fist pumping, flexing, and jawing after big shots, and he doesn't have an ounce of ******** around in him. On top of all this blossoming offensive skill, he's absolutely one of the best defenders in the entire league.

I'm not stating he is that guy currently, he looks the part during this torrid stretch he's been on.

BTW, Richardson is ranked 3rd overall in the past 7 days, 5th in the last 14 days, and 21st in the last 30 days. What a crazy turn around this has been, truly.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

Whiteside is highly overrated. He doesn't have the highest bball IQ, he relies almost entirely on his length and athleticism and explosiveness, much like DeAndre Jordan. He just gets away with it some times because of his sheer genetic freakishness. He's a decent two-way big man, but far from an ideal face of the franchise. He seems more concerned with his own performance stats, reminds me a little bit of Dwight Howard at times maturity wise; not the most intense player, and definitely not a leader. 

I agree with you on Hassan, i never said he is leader material. I just stated the fact that Heat had him as the face of their franchise entering this season. Obviously it doesnt work so far and Hassan's behavior and personality is at least troubling. As for J Rich, i think he just needs to work on his mentality. He has to stay confident no matter what. If he manage to avoid the cold stretches he usually finds him self in and succeed consistency he will involve as player and reach the level of a nba star...

He has been sooooo much more than a 3 and D guy these last few games. The probing he has done, the ball handling and off dribble shots are really impressive and things I didn’t think he had in his game. Hopefully he keeps it up because the hype on this guy has been real. 

• Like 1