JMASTERJ

James Johnson 2017-2018 Season Outlook

" Johnson played very well in five starts with Miami last season posting averages of 18.2 points, 7.0 boards, 5.2 dimes, 1.2 steals, 1.6 triples and 0.8 swats per contest. He'll make for a solid mid-round selection on draft day."

Well then......

Whats your ADP on this guy?

I've been able to get him around pick 80 in my leagues and very excited to have him there. He should be a lock for a 28-30 minute role this year. I don't see him falling out of the top 60 this year.

I'm projecting

13/7/4/1/1.5

With 1 three

Edited by HAK Devil

I traded DRose, Ariza, and Rudy Gay for Avery Bradley, Marvin Williams and James Johnson and Johnson was my main target 

• Like 1

Would you guys pick him over a rookie like Dennis Smith Jr. without any specific needs?  I feel like JJ is more in line for a mature safe good season at around #80 than a rookie PG.

Had some reservation when it wasn't clear whether Wade was going back to Miami.  Now feel pretty comfortable with JJ at about 7th pick.

The defensive stats and AST are deceptively significant.  I ran the numbers and found him better than Aaron Gordon (with breakout projections), Rudy Gay, and Batum.

• Like 1

I'm hoping to get Johnson in the 6th or 7th round.

First 4 picks = PGs & Cs

5th round = Gary Harris

6th round = Johnson

I think you can make up for his deficiencies earlier/later but it's hard to get his level of production across the board in the 7th

9 hours ago, HarmStrong said:

So far it looks like his production might be better off the bench. 

2 sloppy preseason games is WAY too small a sample size to judge one way or another.  Last season in his 5 games as a starter he averaged 18 pts 7 reb 6 assists 1. 6 3pm 1.2 steals .8 blk on 52% shooting.  Very small sample size also, but either way with JJ I don't think starting or 6th man matters.  He does however seem to have great rapport with Hassan so I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks in the starting lineup.

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Thanks 1

I would like to draft James Johnson, but unfortunately I can't. In my draft I have picks 65 (too early) and next is 80 (too late). I have to give up...

I'm calling it now, this guy is a complete bust.  Too many options in Miama.  He'll be completely inconsistent.  I think the preseason games have shown us all we need to see.  I'm not touching him until rounds 9 or 10.  Someone else can chase after this fool's gold.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, superjew said:

I'm calling it now, this guy is a complete bust.  Too many options in Miama.  He'll be completely inconsistent.  I think the preseason games have shown us all we need to see.  I'm not touching him until rounds 9 or 10.  Someone else can chase after this fool's gold.

yo eat a dip mitch

On 10/6/2017 at 9:33 AM, superjew said:

Damn, in that case Mudiay must be a lock for top 20 value with that preseason of his *facepalm*

To call JJ fools gold just shows you didn't watch him in Miami last year and AT THE VERY LEAST he will repeat what he did then. Might as well just put him on a DND list now if you are not touching until round 9-10

On 10/6/2017 at 3:33 PM, superjew said:

Too many options for 1-3, but who can really play at the 4? Three guys JJ, Olynyk, Winslow. JJ is by far the best of them in both sides of the floor. And Winslow will be mainly SF while Olynyk will have to play backup C as well. I see a clear path to at least 28 mins per game and that should be enough. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

Too many options for 1-3, but who can really play at the 4? Three guys JJ, Olynyk, Winslow. JJ is by far the best of them in both sides of the floor. And Winslow will be mainly SF while Olynyk will have to play backup C as well. I see a clear path to at least 28 mins per game and that should be enough. 

Agree...

olynyk likes to play outside...

i think that JJ can have an impact on both side...

he just need around 25 min to produce around 10pts/5Reb/1.5Stl/1Blk 

This guy always fills the stat sheet whenever he plays , even limited minutes.  Last year in my opinion was first time he had consistent playing time until the end of the year and provided great value for those that picked him up on the waiver.  I'd expect 13/5/3.5.. with close to 1/1/1.  He does however get A LOT of turnovers so keep that in mind.  And sometimes shoot bunch of freethrows at bad %.  Definitely worth mid round value. 

He's starting to pick it back up during these past two games. Nice to see. 

Go through his preseason games and subtract his 3pfga from his total fga.

W/  : 15/42 (~35%fg)

W/o: 15/28 (~53%fg)

Looks a lot more efficient right? Over the first few games they were experimenting with him as an off the ball floor spacer and have gone back to him as the slasher that kicks out and takes threes judiciously. (which is who he really is IMO)

He should still hit threes at a decent clip once the season rolls along so there’s nothing to worry about. 

Personally just want him to foul less and not get thrown out of games and the rest will come naturally IMO

Taking a at least 3-4 3's per game, hasn't hit 1 yet. It'll come around, just keep the volume up.

His efficiency and number of shots are nice side notes, but the main thing I'm attracted to is them assist. Keep the assist numbers around 4 or 5  game with a sprinkle of a steal and a block and no complaints from me.

On 10/5/2017 at 10:31 AM, JMASTERJ said:

Would you guys pick him over a rookie like Dennis Smith Jr. without any specific needs?  I feel like JJ is more in line for a mature safe good season at around #80 than a rookie PG.

Funny you mention this.   I took JJ in 8th round of 10-man and the next pick DSJ was taken.  

I was looking to take DSJ my next pick but since the draft i've been wondering if i screwed up.

Edited by DLG10

1 hour ago, DLG10 said:

Funny you mention this.   I took JJ in 8th round of 10-man and the next pick DSJ was taken.  

I was looking to take DSJ my next pick but since the draft i've been wondering if i screwed up.

Ha interesting.... I ended up taking DSJ earlier in late 7th and then JJ 3 rds later after my keepers.

By far my worst pick was passing on JJ.

Any similar waiver wire types like JJ was last year whose game projects to his value across Rbs, Assts, stocks, and 3s?