JMASTERJ

James Johnson 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Don't forget that last season both Waiters and Richardson missed 30+ games each, while Winslow was basically out for the whole year. For a good portion of last season JJ was the only reliable option available for the Heat besides Dragic and Whiteside.

He's still going to get his 26-28mpg, but the usage will be lower than last season and I think it's going to be really hard for him to match last year's top 80 performance. He's going to have his ups and downs, I can see him flirt with top 50 value for extended periods of time, but I wouldn't expect him to go higher than top 100 overall.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, battaginlemon said:

Don't forget that last season both Waiters and Richardson missed 30+ games each, while Winslow was basically out for the whole year. For a good portion of last season JJ was the only reliable option available for the Heat besides Dragic and Whiteside.

He's still going to get his 26-28mpg, but the usage will be lower than last season and I think it's going to be really hard for him to match last year's top 80 performance. He's going to have his ups and downs, I can see him flirt with top 50 value for extended periods of time, but I wouldn't expect him to go higher than top 100 overall.

Right now I'd say it's related to his off the bench role coupled with their high usage. I think he'd be fine stats wise if he was actually starting, it's hard to get a rhythm off the bench, he's not that type of sixth man who's a pure scorer (ala Lou Williams), he's a point-forward playmaker/shot creator/opportunist. Get him as a starter at PF next to Whiteside (even with Waiters there), and he'll be more than fine. Expecting a non-scorer to be fire off the bench every game is a hard task when a team is at full force.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, battaginlemon said:

Right now I'd say it's related to his off the bench role coupled with their high usage. I think he'd be fine stats wise if he was actually starting, it's hard to get a rhythm off the bench, he's not that type of sixth man who's a pure scorer (ala Lou Williams), he's a point-forward playmaker/shot creator/opportunist. Get him as a starter at PF next to Whiteside (even with Waiters there), and he'll be more than fine. Expecting a non-scorer to be fire off the bench every game is a hard task when a team is at full force.

Guys before this 3 game cold streak Jimmy J. Was putting up better numbers than last season with Waiters healthy so I think all of this is a classic overreaction again. Heck some were calling Jimmy  DRay Green before this cold spell. Yea maybe the recent dip is partially because of Waiters but I guarantee it prob also has something to do with Johnson not being aggressive. Johnson is a stat magnet and he’s not even brining the d stats right now so that’s telling to me. I’m not concerned one bit as every player goes through highs and lows throughout a season.  

Edited by chud12
  • Like 5

Only a matter of time before some combo of Winslow/Rich/Waiters/Johnson get injured (not hoping for injury just stating facts)

4 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

RW is saying it's directly related to Waiters returning.

ESPN too.

But also agree it's probably (hopefully) just a minor a blip.

.He’s a solid top 80 ish type player imo and people simply freak out over a few bad games. This is just some regression to the mean lately and when you look at his  overall line for the season you have pretty much what should have been expected. Anyways, nice bounce back tonight and the stocks will be back again in no time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chud12 said:

The stock drought continues, smh. 

That's not something to be worried about though. At least his all around game is back.

• Like 2

Consistently inconsistent but his value isn’t tied to the scoring categories so I can get over his general inefficiency.

• Like 1