EmbargoLifted

Bryce Harper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread makes me question taking him 5 overall. I personally like him over Betts and Blackmon this year (assuming top 4 are gone) contract year, healthy etc.. 

7 minutes ago, floppy said:

This thread makes me question taking him 5 overall. I personally like him over Betts and Blackmon this year (assuming top 4 are gone) contract year, healthy etc.. 

I have no issues with that. Blackmon is getting older and Harper is simply a better player than Betts. Let's just hope he can give us 150+ games.

Last season before he demands a billion over 10 years from some poor club. What's he gonna do?

probably hit 28 bombs, grow a beard, hit .320, get hurt a few times and not win a playoff series. You laugh but dig it up in October. 

On 1/14/2018 at 6:52 PM, mevins31 said:

probably hit 28 bombs, grow a beard, hit .320, get hurt a few times and not win a playoff series. You laugh but dig it up in October. 

This statement is so eerily accurate.

Don't see him running much this year but he won't need to do so to bank a 10 year $350M K if the faster guys up top stay healthy (Eaton, Turner, Robles).  I see him taking it easy enabling him to easily hit .300 plus, likely closer to .330 with 1.000 + OPS in reach.

I'm thinking 10 SB sounds about right if we see 145 games out of him.

9 minutes ago, Call me Red said:

37 HR

108 RBI

99 Runs

14 SB

I would take the under on all 5 of those...

In looking at the FSTA draft as a model and Im sure the ADP numbers will bear this out as well is that look at picks 5-6-7 Bryce Harper, Trea Turner Kris Bryant - all guys who have kind of that young, upside, but also come with question marks and risk.  I mean Turner hasnt played a full year, Harper has been injured or disappointing 60% of his full seasons and Bryant was beaten 3-2 by Travis Shaw in the tradional 5 roto categories if they played straight up.  

But what I think is happening is that when you look at say picks 8 of the first round all the way through the 3rd round guys, I think a lot of folks have them on similar "tiers"  so like a guy in the middle of the first might think, I can take Votto OR I can take a guy like Harper, Turner or Bryant and then take Rizzo in the second round because they view Rizzo and Votto probably similarly.  Or you could take a guy like Machado in the first, but why do that when I can get Donaldson in the 3rd, might as well take the gamble.  

I always think there will be mancrush guys, Harper is classic mancrush along with guys like Turner, Bryant, Bregman, etc.  The issue with doing that is that on those guys you just arent getting much value.  Its kind of like betting a football game on the Cowboys, everyone knows there is an artificial line movement for the Cowboys because the "house" is trying to get equal money both ways and collect the juice and so knowing they will have more people betting on the Cowboys, they have to hurt their line a bit to try and get equal action the other way, thus rarely if ever do you get line value in betting the Cowboys, just like drafting Harper is likely never going to be great value, your are paying more than you should actually given history/performance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, parrothead said:

I would take the under on all 5 of those...

Can’t fault you for that. He’s never had 100+ RBI, hit around .275 in 3/5 seasons and only hit over 35 HR once I think. That said, with Turner and Eaton ahead of him and a helpful dose of good health, I think he has a MVP type 2018.

• Like 1

He was on his way to another MVP lasts year with a .319 average, near .600 slugging and 29 hr in only 111 games.  If he plays 145 games he puts up these kind of numbers again.  No reason to believe otherwise.

• Like 4

Bryce Harper is undergoing surgery!!!!!

For an ingrown toenail.

40 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Ingrown toenails suck

Yup, I had a procedure where they injected my toe with something to numb it, but it felt like my toe was going to explode and they cut my toe in half down the middle. Not fun.

4 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Yup, I had a procedure where they injected my toe with something to numb it, but it felt like my toe was going to explode and they cut my toe in half down the middle. Not fun.

Same. And to this day, some of the worst pain and discomfort once the Novocain or whatever wore off. 

Maybe Bryce didn’t have the half nail cut out. Hope so for his sake. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

That's nothing.  I had a procedure where they drilled a hole in my big toenail and then injected some crap into it.  I could have bit thru a broom stick!

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 2:29 PM, jb_power said:

good think Bryce has a hard head:

the petting around 0:30 sure looked effective 

Was pretty surprised Harper fell to me at #12 in my current draft. Hope he can stay healthy, first time I've ever had him. 

Basically contract year, will tone down the hard nose D and rape pitchers this year, 45 bombs easy, monster season and people taking Stanton over him are loons or just drinking to much elitist pinstripe Kool-Aid

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

So we going with 1, 2, or 3 opening day taters off bailey this year?

I'd go with 3 

2 hours ago, Michael Bluth said:

So we going with 1, 2, or 3 opening day walks off bailey this year?

FTFY

Ok, maybe 2 walks and 1 tater ;)