Sign in to follow this  
det_tigers

Malik Monk 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Lol dude Monk is a 19 yo kid who literally missed every single organized basketball activity until the preseason and has only played in 5 preseason games. As abhorrent as that FG% is now, you don’t think it improves?

i love monk’s aggressiveness and on this roster, there is no way lamb survivors long as the starter - he isn’t a good 3pt shooter and he is so passive, their offense will be a disaster with him on the floor. Clifford will have to bite the bullet and start a rookie

9 minutes ago, n.mollov said:

Lol dude Monk is a 19 yo kid who literally missed every single organized basketball activity until the preseason and has only played in 5 preseason games. As abhorrent as that FG% is now, you don’t think it improves?

i love monk’s aggressiveness and on this roster, there is no way lamb survivors long as the starter - he isn’t a good 3pt shooter and he is so passive, their offense will be a disaster with him on the floor. Clifford will have to bite the bullet and start a rookie

Sigh 

If he's going to call out Lamb for FG, should probably recognize both sides of the coin.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, a-rob said:

This guy is good, very good, but Clifford is in his way. I am still surprised the Knicks passed on him, I thought Monk / Smith were the obvious choices to go to the Knicks. This kid if groomed the right way has the talent to be the best scorer in this draft class.

Clifford is the problem. Right now he will get minutes esp if Lamb is out. But what if MCW, Lamb, Batum all return? Clifford would be an idiot if he decides to play MCW more minutes than Monk. Monk should be trained to become a PG/SG. He is an above average ball handler, has also surprised me with his passing in the preseason

It seems like he may play all the minutes as primary ball handler when Kemba is off the court. In fact, I'd be shocked if he doesn't soak up all 15 min or so of the non-Kemba minutes as ball handler.

I see a lot of McCollum in Monk, and the way they play Kemba and Monk on the floor together should determine a lot of the lineups. 

Monk's playing time depends tremendously on how he gels with Kemba. If we just say at minimum, Monk will get 15 minutes when Kemba is off the court, then how does he get an additional 10-13 minutes with Kemba on the court? Hornet's defense will take a hit with Kemba and Monk together, so Monk has to play extremely well off the ball with Kemba, which in theory should happen. If Kemba/Dwight can nail down the PNR, you could place Monk at all points on the perimeter to open up space for a pop out 3. Just the thing is you're right, Clifford is in the way because he likes to play defensive and ultimately MKG is the guy who sort of stands in Monk's way for PT.

I don't think Kemba-Monk-MKG on the floor makes much sense on defense, teams will just screen MKG all day on the defensive end and isolate one of Kemba/Monk on a taller player. The offense for the Hornets with Kemba/Monk has to be super sharp for big min for Monk, which definitely won't be the case starting off. In time, we could see a nice chemistry develop between the two, but in Monk's rookie year I think he will be highly inefficient for Clifford's taste. 

Monk should be around 22 min/game for the season. If he can be really, really effective when Kemba is off the court as the primary playmaker/ball handler though, he could be worth it this year. But I think its going to be wild games for him, and the Hornets are a competitive organization who wants to make the playoffs. 

Edited by worldclass

This kid is really REALLY good . I drafted him with my 10th pick , and I actually think that he will be the 6th man on this team with and make a very strong case for ROY.

Lamb who , Malik is the $$ here !!

His hot streaks are legendary. He can score 16-18 consecutive points in a 3 minute stretch, did it in college more than a few times. 

• Like 1

Killin it in champion week,maybe good sleeper next season if hornets trade away kemba or batum

• Like 1

Definitely someone to watch going into drafts next season.  His gunner mentality is good for fantasy if he keeps his percentages in check.  Who knows what that CHA roster will look like next season.

• Like 1