MONEY BALL

Boban Marjanovic 2017-2018 Season Outlook

It's amazing that Boban is ranked number one ALL TIME in points per shot attempt and 2nd ALL TIME in rebound percentage yet he can't crack the rotation to save his life anywhere he goes.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-most-efficient-scorer-in-nba-history-is-stuck-on-the-bench/

Is Boban really that horrible on defense where he can't even serve as a backup center?

8 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

It's amazing that Boban is ranked number one ALL TIME in points per shot attempt and 2nd ALL TIME in rebound percentage yet he can't crack the rotation to save his life anywhere he goes.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-most-efficient-scorer-in-nba-history-is-stuck-on-the-bench/

Is Boban really that horrible on defense where he can't even serve as a backup center?

Yeah, I don't understand this either. I think soon Boban may have to leave the NBA, considering he's not playing at all, and he's in his prime. He'd better go to another league not to waste his time.

On 1/30/2018 at 2:36 AM, freddo said:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/boban-marjanovic/

Elite height

Elite weight

Elite TS%

Elite FT freq

Elite turnover rate

Elite rebound rate

Elite block rate

Plays 9 min a game....

Player category: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14 hours ago, rush007 said:

Yeah, I don't understand this either. I think soon Boban may have to leave the NBA, considering he's not playing at all, and he's in his prime. He'd better go to another league not to waste his time.

Does anyone else think Boban made a horrible decision for his career by leaving San Antonio to take a little more money in Detriot?  I think I a coach like Popovich who knows what he is doing and knows how to use a traditional big man in the post would have been perfect for Boban.  Pop would have known how to utilize Boban's offensive and rebounding skills and he would have been a good enough coach to create defensive schemes that would have at least somewhat mitigated Boban's defensive shortcomings guarding on the perimeter.

I'm not saying Pop would have turned him into the second coming of Tim Duncan or David Robinson, but I think Pop would have at least made Boban into an above average big man.  Pop turned Parker, Ginoblii, and Leonard (none of whom were extremely highly regarded coming into the NBA) into stars, and there are some things on the basketball court that Boban does extremely well.

7 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Does anyone else think Boban made a horrible decision for his career by leaving San Antonio to take a little more money in Detriot?  I think I a coach like Popovich who knows what he is doing and knows how to use a traditional big man in the post would have been perfect for Boban.  Pop would have known how to utilize Boban's offensive and rebounding skills and he would have been a good enough coach to create defensive schemes that would have at least somewhat mitigated Boban's defensive shortcomings guarding on the perimeter.

I'm not saying Pop would have turned him into the second coming of Tim Duncan or David Robinson, but I think Pop would have at least made Boban into an above average big man.  Pop turned Parker, Ginoblii, and Leonard (none of whom were extremely highly regarded coming into the NBA) into stars, and there are some things on the basketball court that Boban does extremely well.

Unlikely, he wasn't playing much there either, usually just garbage time minutes. The guy is just not equipped to play in the modern NBA game

1 minute ago, sya said:

Unlikely, he wasn't playing much there either, usually just garbage time minutes. The guy is just not equipped to play in the modern NBA game

That was Boban's rookie year and he played more that year than he has any year since.  Also, if you check his game log, Boban's minutes were really trending up by March and April of that season.  And that was for an absolutely loaded 67 win team where he had a ton of competition for minutes.

I think if Boban had stayed, he would have had a pretty significant role the next year with Duncan retiring and David West leaving, opening up a ton of minutes.

You really think a coach like Pop (arguably the greatest coach ever and a coach who knows exactly how to use traditional big men in the post like Duncan and Robinson) wouldn't have been able to find some way to utilize Boban's strengths (and Boban does clearly have some things he does very well on the floor) and mitigate his perimeter defensive weaknesses??

Honestly, it's hard for me to believe Pop wouldn't have been able to, at the absolute minimum, turn Boban into an above average backup center.

Playing him significant minutes means you have to completely change your game plan. You have to do everything differently for one guy to excel. It makes no sense.

Wow, after playing one total minute since the trade, he's pretty much played the final 18 minutes of the game (not including the final minute). He's seemed unstoppable at times, and the biggest thing holding him back is his conditioning. He's been a main factor in the huge Clipper comeback so far. Plus-24 in 18 minutes!

Probably won't happen every game. Don't think I'll be dropping DJ for him anytime soon... lol

Edited by hoop

It was like watching Yao Ming, this dude killed Jokic and the Nuggets, they got no answer for the big fella. But you can't really believe that he is going to play like this and this much all of a sudden, he's matchup dependent, imagine when Rockets switch and gets isolated against Harden or Chris Paul

13 minutes ago, doctorm said:

If only Boban could find a team that'd be willing to give him starter minutes.... He'd be amazing for fantasy.

he doesnt have the stamina to be a starter

1 hour ago, KingDURANTULA said:

he doesnt have the stamina to be a starter

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have it either if you play 15 mins every month. The game has a different tempo, he needs to play to get used to it.

26 minutes ago, rush007 said:

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have it either if you play 15 mins every month. The game has a different tempo, he needs to play to get used to it.

I don't think it's even about stamina. He's just slow because he's huge. He made Jokic look like a little child out there lol.

Just now, sharkpotato said:

I don't think it's even about stamina. He's just slow because he's huge. He made Jokic look like a little child out there lol.

Sharkpotato, would you mind asking Boban's wife if he's going to be getting regular mins ROS?

:ph34r:   

• Haha 1

Gosh.....Every stinking time....

If Doc gave this guy even 15 minutes every game...hell I'll even say 10-13 minutes every game...he'd be a monster.

I legitimately feel like if he got 15 minutes a game, he'd have no problem averaging 7ppg/6reb/1blk on 60.0 FG%.

He'll never get 25-30 minutes a game...but it's hard to see this kind of game, with a guy getting a +28 or w/e and to leave him on the wire...

Here's to hoping Doc comes to his senses and plays him at least 10 MPG.