Sign in to follow this  
Lifschitz

Alex Len 2017 - 2018 Season Outlook

Could this be the year? Still only 24 years old, two big preseason games in a row: 

image.png.780915e301436e27453cc42fa2f4560b.png

Watson said he's been real impressive in their training camp. Per 36 last year of 50% / 72%   -  14 / 11.8 / 1 / .9 /  2.3 ..  this guy is Gobert-esque with his rebounds/blocks/good enough scoring.. seems like he could be a real gem in the final round of a draft with potential for more, especially if Watson just decides to not play Tyson again for the entire season until they trade him. 

Well, he will be nice until Alan Williams comes back, but I'm still worried about his foul-problem, which often keeps him off the floor.

2 issues,

1- do they play Chandler, Chriss, Bender at Center?

2- does he improve on his shooting %? It can be very questionable at times

5 minutes ago, Mad Luke said:

Well, he will be nice until Alan Williams comes back, but I'm still worried about his foul-problem, which often keeps him off the floor.

Didn't RW say he could potentially be out until 3 weeks left in the season?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mad Luke said:

Pretty sure Alan Williams is out almost the entire regular season. Projected return is late March.

2 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

Didn't RW say he could potentially be out until 3 weeks left in the season?

2 hours ago, lbjames6 said:

Pretty sure Alan Williams is out almost the entire regular season. Projected return is late March.

Did not know that. I thought he will be out until January.

Little worried about his ability to foul everything that moves. Owned him last year and due to foul trouble he is very inconsistent imo. Could have a good season but im gonna fold.

49 minutes ago, MONEY BALL said:

He's just not a very good player. And Watson loves himself some Chandler. I'll pass.

Chandler is washed up. I wouldn't worry about him at all. Len isn't that good, but he could be a very good player if they just simplify his role to Gobert-lite. He's a very good rebounder and rim protector IMO. 

2 hours ago, MONEY BALL said:

He's just not a very good player. And Watson loves himself some Chandler. I'll pass.

This.

He's more than capable of posting nice stat lines. However,  he's not consistent enough to warrant fantasy consideration. 

I would take a flyer in the last 2 rounds or so.  If he ever gets decent PT he offer nice upside.  Can we reasonably project 22-25 min/game with Chandler at 15-18 and PF/small ball 5-10 min/game?

4 hours ago, tremixt said:

This.

He's more than capable of posting nice stat lines. However,  he's not consistent enough to warrant fantasy consideration. 

If you missed out on a big man early, it's certainly not a bad gamble to take a potential 10 / 10 / 2 big man in the final round of a 12 man draft to round out your roster (and if he fizzles you can replace him), he's still young and big men tend to develop late. His final month of the season last year won some people money leagues. I just think people are being way too dismissive of him based on prior years, and there's still some intrigue left in the tank to 'warrant fantasy consideration'. The opportunity for consistent minutes is ripe as well, no Alan Williams, Tyson Chandler is as good as gone (Earl Watson already indicated they need to go with a full blown youth movement on all fronts), and Chriss can only handle so many minutes at C and is the most foul prone player in the league. 

2 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

If you missed out on a big man early, it's certainly not a bad gamble to take a potential 10 / 10 / 2 big man in the final round of a 12 man draft to round out your roster (and if he fizzles you can replace him), he's still young and big men tend to develop late. His final month of the season last year won some people money leagues. I just think people are being way too dismissive of him based on prior years, and there's still some intrigue left in the tank to 'warrant fantasy consideration'. The opportunity for consistent minutes is ripe as well, no Alan Williams, Tyson Chandler is as good as gone (Earl Watson already indicated they need to go with a full blown youth movement on all fronts), and Chriss can only handle so many minutes at C and is the most foul prone player in the league. 

There is also Bender to eat his mins

Just now, Mad Luke said:

There is also Bender to eat his mins

Bender is horrible at this stage of his career.. all the beat writers and the general consensus so far is that he's looked awful/lost this off-season and in preseason especially. I don't think he's ready for significant minutes until maybe the last month of the season where it's truly all out tank-mode.

Phoenix is still good enough roster-wise to compete right now at a high level, I don't see them tanking right off the bat ala Chicago/New York, and giving him minutes right off the bat would be indicative of an all out tank.

6 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

Bender is horrible at this stage of his career.. all the beat writers and the general consensus so far is that he's looked awful/lost this off-season and in preseason especially. I don't think he's ready for significant minutes until maybe the last month of the season where it's truly all out tank-mode.

Phoenix is still good enough roster-wise to compete right now at a high level, I don't see them tanking right off the bat ala Chicago/New York, and giving him minutes right off the bat would be indicative of an all out tank.

Yes, but they want to develop Bender more than they want Len. 

Here's an interesting quote:

Phoenix, who ranked second in pace last season, wants to go even faster now so I would expect to see Bender get his fair share of playing time entering his true rookie season in many people eyes. A more up-tempo pace favors players like Marquese Chriss and Bender to see regular rotation minutes over Tyson Chandler and Alex Len, so it will be interesting to see how lineups come together prior to October 18 against Portland.

6 minutes ago, Mad Luke said:

Yes, but they want to develop Bender more than they want Len. 

Here's an interesting quote:

Phoenix, who ranked second in pace last season, wants to go even faster now so I would expect to see Bender get his fair share of playing time entering his true rookie season in many people eyes. A more up-tempo pace favors players like Marquese Chriss and Bender to see regular rotation minutes over Tyson Chandler and Alex Len, so it will be interesting to see how lineups come together prior to October 18 against Portland.

The overall point stands; you can draft Len in the 13th and feel happy that you have a serviceable low-end double double big with nice blocks and percentages. 

He doesn't need to play 30 minutes, he just needs around 20 mpg to be a solid 3rd-4th Center. Again, TJ Warren is the same age as Len... so they don't have anything to lose by seeing if Len can be a small-ball 5 with defense/rebounding/shot blocking ala guys like JaVale McGee, Bogut before him, Biyombo (in his time in Toronto), etc. These guys are very useful to teams because they don't require the ball, will take high percentage shots/dunks/alley oops, and set solid screens - which are the biggest backbone of the types of pace and space and ball movement offenses teams are running now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

The overall point stands; you can draft Len in the 13th and feel happy that you have a serviceable low-end double double big with nice blocks and percentages. 

He doesn't need to play 30 minutes, he just needs around 20 mpg to be a solid 3rd-4th Center. Again, TJ Warren is the same age as Len... so they don't have anything to lose by seeing if Len can be a small-ball 5 with defense/rebounding/shot blocking ala guys like JaVale McGee, Bogut before him, Biyombo (in his time in Toronto), etc. These guys are very useful to teams because they don't require the ball, will take high percentage shots/dunks/alley oops, and set solid screens - which are the biggest backbone of the types of pace and space and ball movement offenses teams are running now.

49% is not a good FG% for a Center who doesn’t shoot 3’s. That’s horrible. 

Its not "horrible", that's an exaggeration. Plenty of PF/C's at exactly 50% or slightly below (AD / Myles). "Percentages" also includes FT%.

He looks good again tonight. One of the best players +/- wise against a good team and his stats looks good too. Nice late round flier and I have picked him up already

average 1.5 blks a game thus far with good % and rebounding numbers. i will hold tight and hope they trade away chandler soon .... 

I laughed when I was done summarizing all my teams this year. Because he was the most drafted. He’s in 8 of 20 leagues. 2nd to him at 4 apiece were Otto, Love, Noel, Warren, Gary and JRich. Too much love?

7 blocks last game against inferior competition...hope they bench Chandler like whats the point give the young guys some run