Bengalo

Julius Randle 2017-2018 Outlook

Definitely like him.  I got him at #62 in my draft a couple of days ago, which is a little above the ranking of him (70-75), but I don't see any reason why he can't outperform the rankings some are giving him.

I don't think he's going to turn into a superstar, but he does more than your typical double-double machine.

Edited by KilloWertz

4 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Definitely like him.  I got him at #62 in my draft a couple of days ago, which is a little above the ranking of him (70-75), but I don't see any reason why he can't outperform the rankings some are giving him.

I don't think he's going to turn into a superstar, but he does more than your typical double-double machine.

Cant make threes, has no consistent jumpshot, makes no steals, no blocks, shoots badly FT, makes turnovers.

The praises from Luke Walton are just to showcase the guy and try to trade him later. Randle unfortunately has no physical tools nor enough IQ to be a superstar.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

The thing is, if you think he's going to outperform 70-75, you should be drafting him there.  If you think he's gonna be around 60, you shouldn't draft him around 60.  Or at least try not to.  It seems like you drafted him at his ceiling, which isn't something you should try to do (although of course it's going to happen sometimes).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dekciw_1 said:

Cant make threes, has no consistent jumpshot, makes no steals, no blocks, shoots badly FT, makes turnovers.

The praises from Luke Walton are just to showcase the guy and try to trade him later. Randle unfortunately has no physical tools nor enough IQ to be a superstar.

Shot almost 49% last season, so even if his jumpshot is questionable (can't say one way or the other), he still managed to get over 13 PPG with a good FG%, 0.7 SPG isn't exactly no steals for a PF, I'll give you the no blocks, 72% from the FT line is actually more than serviceable for a big man nowadays, and his turnovers were no higher than others like Millsap.  I'll give you the 3's too, which is something he should stop trying so often, but I also never said I thought he was going to be a superstar.

2 hours ago, Tom Chambers said:

The thing is, if you think he's going to outperform 70-75, you should be drafting him there.  If you think he's gonna be around 60, you shouldn't draft him around 60.  Or at least try not to.  It seems like you drafted him at his ceiling, which isn't something you should try to do (although of course it's going to happen sometimes).

True, maybe I did draft him a round higher than a should have, but oh well.  At least it was only a round.  I was going to take Aaron Gordon, but he went two picks before me.

15 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Shot almost 49% last season, so even if his jumpshot is questionable (can't say one way or the other), he still managed to get over 13 PPG with a good FG%, 0.7 SPG isn't exactly no steals for a PF, I'll give you the no blocks, 72% from the FT line is actually more than serviceable for a big man nowadays, and his turnovers were no higher than others like Millsap.  I'll give you the 3's too, which is something he should stop trying so often, but I also never said I thought he was going to be a superstar.

49% is nothing for a player that scores from layups and dunks. And dont compare him with Millsap please, all of his "weak spots" are completely covered by his great numbers in points, assists, steals & blocks. Randle offers rebounds only.

Edited by dekciw_1

Just now, dekciw_1 said:

49% is nothing for a player that scores from layups and dunks. And dont compare him with Millsap please, all his "weakness'es" are completely covered by his great numbers in points, assists, steals & blocks. Randle offers rebounds only.

I'm not sure what Randle did to you to hate him so much, but anyways....  I wasn't comparing him to Millsap.  Obviously I think Millsap is a better player.  I wouldn't have drafted him before him if I didn't.  I just mentioned the fact that they had the same 2.3 turnovers per game since you said he turns over the ball a lot.  While we're at it though, Randle did average almost the same amount of assists per game, so obviously he does more than just rebound.

He shoots too many 3's, which drove down his FG% some.  That is something he should stop, which I did mention, but it's not like it's making him an actual liability in FG%.  That would only be possible if you were playing in a league that eliminates jump shooters.

Again, I said I didn't think he was going to be a superstar, but I still have no idea what he did to you either.

18 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I'm not sure what Randle did to you to hate him so much, but anyways....  I wasn't comparing him to Millsap.  Obviously I think Millsap is a better player.  I wouldn't have drafted him before him if I didn't.  I just mentioned the fact that they had the same 2.3 turnovers per game since you said he turns over the ball a lot.  While we're at it though, Randle did average almost the same amount of assists per game, so obviously he does more than just rebound.

He shoots too many 3's, which drove down his FG% some.  That is something he should stop, which I did mention, but it's not like it's making him an actual liability in FG%.  That would only be possible if you were playing in a league that eliminates jump shooters.

Again, I said I didn't think he was going to be a superstar, but I still have no idea what he did to you either.

What he did to me? What are you talking about?

Im just giving you a reality check about the capabilities & the upside of the player. As a Lakers fan, i've watched every game this guy has played for LA and the guy is extremely limited.  His lack of stocks is a result of both bad timing and limited basketball IQ.

I like Randle's tenacity & motor and i hope he improves, but the guy has flaws at both sides of the floor.

Edited by dekciw_1

Just now, dekciw_1 said:

What he did to me? What are you talking about?

Im just giving you a reality check about the capabilities & the upside of the player. As a Lakers fan, i've watched every game this guy has played for LA and the guy is extremely limited.  His lack of stocks is a result of both bad timing and limited basketball IQ.

I like Randle's tenacity & motor and i hope he improves, but the guy has flaws at both sides of the floor.

The way you are talking about him, it would almost give the impression you hate him for some reason even though he put up a decent enough fantasy season last year.  That's what I was talking about.

I don't think a guy that could average a double double with over 3 assists per game to be as much of a liability as you are making him out to be.  His defensive stats could be better for a PF obviously, but I still think he's a solid investment, especially if he's your 4th or 5th big man like he ended up being for me in the draft.

If a PF/C who can't shoot 3s, stl or blk, his upside is certainly limited. I'm not opposed to drafting him but he's certainly not a guy I would aggressively target.

9 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

If he was your 4th-5th big man at #62, perhaps you should've chosen a wing there instead?

He ended up being my 4th even though I have him at UTIL (dropped down since we play 2 Centers and I drafted Gasol as my 2nd later).  Maybe I should have taken another Guard instead, but I should be ok.  John Wall and Khris Middleton was a good start for Guards at the time I took Randle.

I used to stay away from prime time Zach Randalph and he at least was automatic 20/9 and had good ft%, gets some steals.  Randle has inferior popcorn stats and no stocks.  I would use nothing more than a late round pick on him but that's me.

Kuzma gonna get his spot. Lakers should trade him. They are not gonna sign him anyways.

I'm eyeing quite a few 2014-15 draft guys, including Randle due to the extra motivation factor.  Both Randle and Marcus Smart could be way more bouncy, helping them overall, and specifically with blocks.  I'm not saying Randle will be a 2 block guy, but I think he's going to surprise us with defensive stats this year....and then he might get traded regardless haha 

52 minutes ago, det_tigers said:

Kuzma gonna get his spot. Lakers should trade him. They are not gonna sign him anyways.

I like Kuzma too, but the only way he starts over Randle is if Randle gets traded.

Already regretting drafting him, even worse that Aaron Gordon was still on the board but I didn't see him.

Edited by JStyles

I may end up regretting drafting him as well, but we'll see.  Plus, the back spasms might not be anything major to worry about.  It's possible they just took him out since it was a preseason game.  He was actually doing pretty good before he had to come out.

Say what you want about him.  I know I took some crap in this thread for drafting here where I did, but there's no way he shouldn't be starting.  The fact that he's had to battle Nance for the PF job this offseason is silly on the part of Walton.  I still think he will be the starting PF when it matters, but it should have been his job to lose from the start, and he's done nothing this preseason to lose it.

Anyone watching the game? What's happening here... 7 minutes in the first half????????? Fantasy bust or what.......

5 minutes ago, KaanYeez said:

Anyone watching the game? What's happening here... 7 minutes in the first half????????? Fantasy bust or what.......

coming off the bench and Nance who started is playing well.There are a lot of kinda odd, mediocre forwards on this team fighting for minutes and i feel like theres gonna be a lot of fluctuation at least early on in the season