Bengalo

Julius Randle 2017-2018 Outlook

well good thing is they got beat down bad so hopefully Randle gets the starting job back.

The dude can pass unlike Larry he should start...

2 minutes ago, skyjogger13 said:

well good thing is they got beat down bad so hopefully Randle gets the starting job back.

The dude can pass unlike Larry he should start...

so randle should get the starting job because he can pass better than larry while larry does everything else better

Dealt this guy for Ja. Johnson about an hour before tipoff. Dodged a bullet.

2 minutes ago, affliction said:

so randle should get the starting job because he can pass better than larry while larry does everything else better

The way Lakers are trying to play ball is have Lonzo's unselfish ways spread to the whole team, and that's why Randle should get more minutes. Larry's just more athletic than randle that's it.

Looked awful defensively. Also not sure why he and Brook Lopez hanging on the perimeter so much taking so many low percentage 3s when what the team needs is for them to use their height and be physical down low. Instead they made Lonzo fight for all the rebounds lol. The team as a whole looked horrendous. 

I know there are several people here that don't like Randle, but he really did nothing to lose his starting job.  He wasn't bad in the preseason, and you may think he's bad, but ESPN, Yahoo, and another website thought he was going to be pretty good going into this season.  Obviously "experts" aren't always right and all that, but he wasn't projected to be a Top 70 player for no reason.  At the very least, there's no way he should be playing just 18 minutes like he did last night, although he obviously was bad last night.

Comparing him to Nance, I picked him up for Kuzma today, but all 7 of Nance's baskets were from 3 feet or closer.  What happens when they play a team that won't let him do that?  I was pretty much baffled and still am in regards to how Walton has treated Randle over the last 24 hours.  Randle has also said he's frustrated, and I don't really blame him since, like I said, he really did nothing to lose his starting job and not really play.

One could say he's still not 100%, but he still should be getting more minutes than this.  They might as well just trade him now if they don't want to use him.

One problem is you can't have a 12 man rotation, regardless of how little the 12th man plays.  This isn't Little League Baseball where everyone has to play.

It's clear Walton wanted Kuzma to close the game and gain experience tonight. And he values Nance for his defense, and he meshes well with the first unit, according to Lopez, Walton, etc.

I was watching for Randle the entire game. Is it just me, or did he look completely disinterested every time they showed him? Even during a critical team huddle with 9 seconds left, everyone was bunched in, but he was several feet away and looked annoyed (or disinterested at best). And, during his limited playing time, he seemed kinda unmotivated. He's already expressed to Walton his frustrations with not starting - it may be now manifesting in his actual play and team contributions.

2 minutes ago, hoop said:

It's clear Walton wanted Kuzma to close the game and gain experience tonight. And he values Nance for his defense, and he meshes well with the first unit, according to Lopez, Walton, etc.

I was watching for Randle the entire game. Is it just me, or did he look completely disinterested every time they showed him? Even during a critical team huddle with 9 seconds left, everyone was bunched in, but he was several feet away and looked annoyed (or disinterested at best). And, during his limited playing time, he seemed kinda unmotivated. He's already expressed to Walton his frustrations with not starting - it may be now manifesting in his actual play and team contributions.

I know I said this earlier, but I don't blame Randle.  Unless this is because he's not 100%, there's no reason why he lost his job.  It's true that Nance has been solid, but it's not like Randle went out and had a bad preseason.  Not much that can be done until they trade him though, which they should do since Walton won't use him.

i'm a laker fan .. he's simply not as good as we thought. right now, nance and kuzma are better. it's upsetting because the potential was there.. but he's reckless and can't seem to play within the flow of the offense. hope it changes, because we had high hopes for him going into the season. 

It’s a near thing, but Nance has looked better since they both became Lakers in 2015. Randle has started because, I assume, he was drafted higher and he has a little more versatility on the floor. But LA has been consistently better with Larry, and Larry has been consistently better than Randle. Very close, but Larry is just better. Not more athletic. Better.

He’s not starting because Walton wants to win games. It’s fair. It’s been a while comming. And the crap attitude and body language Randall is showing with his new role is a good sign that he won’t be contributing much soon. He’d be an injury stash if I hadn’t been lucky enough to trade him.

1 hour ago, bdy1 said:

It’s a near thing, but Nance has looked better since they both became Lakers in 2015. Randle has started because, I assume, he was drafted higher and he has a little more versatility on the floor. But LA has been consistently better with Larry, and Larry has been consistently better than Randle. Very close, but Larry is just better. Not more athletic. Better.

He’s not starting because Walton wants to win games. It’s fair. It’s been a while comming. And the crap attitude and body language Randall is showing with his new role is a good sign that he won’t be contributing much soon. He’d be an injury stash if I hadn’t been lucky enough to trade him.

I hate to think it's as bad as all that, but I'm inclined to agree. The young fella just does not impress. Hoping for a breakout with a new-look squad, so it's a reluctant hold till things are more clear. Jules, when you get your burn, shine.

• Like 1

I've picked up Nance as well, will drop one of them after tomorrow's game.

Some worrying comments from Walton earlier in the week about how Randle needs to adapt mentally to coming off the bench, seems like he might be there to stay.

3 hours ago, bdy1 said:

I know I've said this already in the thread, but can you really blame Randle for being upset about not starting?  I also know I've said this before, but it's not like he did anything this preseason to lose his job.  It's not quite the gameday demotion shock that was Chriss, but it's still surprising that it really wasn't Randle's job to lose.

I haven't watched either player play, so maybe you are right that Nance is the better player of the two, but it's not like Randle didn't perform fine last season.

If Walton wants to win games, he needs to stop using a 12-man rotation.  That's just ridiculous, and it cuts into the minutes of the players he should be playing if he is truly trying to win.

• Like 1