Bengalo

Julius Randle 2017-2018 Outlook

Here's the thing, Julius Randle spent this off season working his a$$ off to get below 10% body fat because Magic Johnson told the team to, and he took that VERY seriously.  Randle's also in a contract year, so he's literally playing for his career/finances right now.  Losing the starting position after all of his hard work, and dedication this quickly is just F'ed up.  Bad game, or week, you give him a chance to get going because he does have the upside to be a 20/10/5 guy in this league, and he clearly wants it.  He was drafted high for a reason, but LA seems to leave their high picks in the dust very quickly with no regard to their confidence. Look what they did to D Lo who is gonna BALL OUT this year.  I've already heard fans starting to turn on Brandon Ingram after a tough preseason, and if he didn't just score 25 points last night, it would be a whole lot worse right now, and each day that goes by.  Giannis took 3-4 years to find his game but because he's in Milwaukee without the LA pressure, everyone over looks that.

Give this man the 30mpg, and starting PF job he's earned.  At least a month to let him find his groove, and if that doesn't work, sure move him to the bench, but yes, they're messing with his money, future, and confidence right now.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

Here's the thing, Julius Randle spent this off season working his a$$ off to get below 10% body fat because Magic Johnson told the team to, and he took that VERY seriously.  Randle's also in a contract year, so he's literally playing for his career/finances right now.  Losing the starting position after all of his hard work, and dedication this quickly is just F'ed up.  Bad game, or week, you give him a chance to get going because he does have the upside to be a 20/10/5 guy in this league, and he clearly wants it.  He was drafted high for a reason, but LA seems to leave their high picks in the dust very quickly with no regard to their confidence. Look what they did to D Lo who is gonna BALL OUT this year.  I've already heard fans starting to turn on Brandon Ingram after a tough preseason, and if he didn't just score 25 points last night, it would be a whole lot worse right now, and each day that goes by.  Giannis took 3-4 years to find his game but because he's in Milwaukee without the LA pressure, everyone over looks that.

Give this man the 30mpg, and starting PF job he's earned.  At least a month to let him find his groove, and if that doesn't work, sure move him to the bench, but yes, they're messing with his money, future, and confidence right now.  

bro you are totally off.. we traded russell because he wasn't going to work together with lonzo, who is the much better POINT GUARD. and we were able to shed mozgov's contract and acquire brook lopez + kyle kuzma in that trade, so it was a no brainer... randle, on the other hand, is simply not as good as his numbers would indicate. he puts up empty stats and is a break rhythm player. his style is to bulldoze into the paint and throw up a wild shot .. not to mention his broke jump shot and weak defense. if he was a money player, he'd get minutes. luke is tryna win right now and the bottom line is that kyle kuzma and larry nance are both better team players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I know I've said this already in the thread, but can you really blame Randle for being upset about not starting?  I also know I've said this before, but it's not like he did anything this preseason to lose his job.  It's not quite the gameday demotion shock that was Chriss, but it's still surprising that it really wasn't Randle's job to lose.

I haven't watched either player play, so maybe you are right that Nance is the better player of the two, but it's not like Randle didn't perform fine last season.

If Walton wants to win games, he needs to stop using a 12-man rotation.  That's just ridiculous, and it cuts into the minutes of the players he should be playing if he is truly trying to win.

this is u are wrong .. randle put up numbers but he was still a black hole on offense and made a lot of boneheaded mistakes all last year .. the potential is there, believe me, at one point i was hyped for him to be a zach randolph-lamar odom hybrid ..... but when u actually watch him play, his reckless style doesn't really vibe with the flow of a real nba offense. i'm just now coming to terms with this, because i was the one talkin bout how talented he is and how we got ourselves a budding star who can run the floor + initiate the offense from the pf position. but after seeing kuzma, that's the type of player we want on the floor. not saying there's no hope for randle, he just simply needs to adjust aspects of his game if he wants to be conducive to winning. 

15 hours ago, IsraeliPSYCHO said:

bro you are totally off.. we traded russell because he wasn't going to work together with lonzo, who is the much better POINT GUARD. and we were able to shed mozgov's contract and acquire brook lopez + kyle kuzma in that trade, so it was a no brainer... randle, on the other hand, is simply not as good as his numbers would indicate. he puts up empty stats and is a break rhythm player. his style is to bulldoze into the paint and throw up a wild shot .. not to mention his broke jump shot and weak defense. if he was a money player, he'd get minutes. luke is tryna win right now and the bottom line is that kyle kuzma and larry nance are both better team players. 

Disagree.  D Lo will be James Harden-like maybe even by the end of this season, and that's not something you let walk for salary cap relief.  Ball could have played with D Lo but the expectations for D Lo, and everyone one else drafted by LA are ridiculous. D Lo's a shooter, and run the pick and roll well.  Ball is great in transition and can set up shooters.  The argument doesn't matter though since we'll never see them play together.

Randle is also a serious talent, and needs a chance to prove himself after the dedication he showed this off season.  He can gobble up boards to counteract Brook Lopez deficiency, and since Brook can stretch the floor, there's no issue with his jumpshot-in-progress.  

We obviously have two different opinions, but we'll see how this works out.  I believe Randle has all-star potential, similar to a Draymond Green once he stops forcing it.

Lastly, I don't agree with LA bringing him off the bench this quick after he showed leadership qualities in taking Magic's words to heart about getting fit.  Those are the type of guys you reward because they show the rest of the team that hard work pays off, and they listen to coaching.  He missed his rookie season, so he's a little behind the other 2014-15 draft guys in development, but we'll see Marcus Smart, Aaron Gordon, and Wiggins (who's developing the 3) finally bust out this year, like the 2013-14 draft guys, Giannis, Gobert, and Schroeder did last year.  

Just now, HulkSmash said:

Disagree.  D Lo will be James Harden-like maybe even by the end of this season, and that's not something you let walk for salary cap relief.  Ball could have played with D Lo but the expectations for D Lo, and everyone one else drafted by LA are ridiculous. D Lo's a shooter, and run the pick and roll well.  Ball is great in transition and can set up shooters.

Russell- James Harden like by end of season? What? Im thinking he's more Devin Booker than James Harden (at best)

10 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

Disagree.  D Lo will be James Harden-like maybe even by the end of this season, and that's not something you let walk for salary cap relief.  Ball could have played with D Lo but the expectations for D Lo, and everyone one else drafted by LA are ridiculous. D Lo's a shooter, and run the pick and roll well.  Ball is great in transition and can set up shooters.  The argument doesn't matter though since we'll never see them play together.

Randle is also a serious talent, and needs a chance to prove himself after the dedication he showed this off season.  He can gobble up boards to counteract Brook Lopez deficiency, and since Brook can stretch the floor, there's no issue with his jumpshot-in-progress.  

We obviously have two different opinions, but we'll see how this works out.  I believe Randle has all-star potential, similar to a Draymond Green once he stops forcing it.

Lastly, I don't agree with LA bringing him off the bench this quick after he showed leadership qualities in taking Magic's words to heart about getting fit.  Those are the type of guys you reward because they show the rest of the team that hard work pays off, and they listen to coaching.  He missed his rookie season, so he's a little behind the other 2014-15 draft guys in development, but we'll see Marcus Smart, Aaron Gordon, and Wiggins (who's developing the 3) finally bust out this year, like the 2013-14 draft guys, Giannis, Gobert, and Schroeder did last year.  

thats why luke walton is an nba coach and you're not 

dangelo russell is not james harden LOL!

and randle is nothing like draymond. draymond best assets are his defense and decision making. both something randle is weak at. 

9 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Russell- James Harden like by end of season? What? Im thinking he's more Devin Booker than James Harden (at best)

that was pretty hilarious 

His game up until this year has more in common with Booker, than Harden, but that's because of how young he is, and all the weird situations D Lo has gone through sine coming to the NBA. 

I'm not saying he'll be putting up James Harden stats by the end of year, but his game is similar in that they are both 3 pt shooters, that love to have the ball.  Neither are elite athletes, but are deceptive with their movements, both lefty, and D Lo is a bit shorter than Harden, but will get more rebounds than your average PG's.  They both turn the ball over a lot, too.

Booker is more of a SG/SF who;s working on increasing his assits, but he won't get the steals, and doesn't have the deceptive, studder tupe moves Harden / D Lo have.  I love me some Booker, and I see him developing into a Kobe-lite.  Don't get me wrong.

It seems crazy to make these comparisons now, because each player is their own man, but that's how I like to describe players, by using my best comparison and it helps me account for their development as the year progresses on my Fantasy squad.

Either way, this is the Randle thread, though....

4 minutes ago, IsraeliPSYCHO said:

thats why luke walton is an nba coach and you're not 

dangelo russell is not james harden LOL!

and randle is nothing like draymond. draymond best assets are his defense and decision making. both something randle is weak at. 

I must be crazy...Luke Walton and DraymondGreen themselves have both said this...

Please read.

http://www.ocregister.com/2016/10/17/warriors-draymond-green-says-lakers-julius-randle-has-potential-to-be-better-than-him/

Just now, HulkSmash said:

I must be crazy...Luke Walton and DraymondGreen themselves have both said this...

Please read.

http://www.ocregister.com/2016/10/17/warriors-draymond-green-says-lakers-julius-randle-has-potential-to-be-better-than-him/

yes we all know .. and now luke has him on the bench so what does that tell you?

i watch every laker game .. your box score reading and article reading will not prove your point, because you are wrong. watch randle play .. he is not as good as his potential and skillset will lead you to believe. trust me. 

4 minutes ago, IsraeliPSYCHO said:

that was pretty hilarious 

There's also lots of comparisons that have been made with D Lo / James Harden / Ginobli ( who was D Lo's idol growing up ) all over the internet.

It sounds crazy to you because we're comparing a 21 year old to guys who have had long, successful careers already.  You can laugh, or mock, but the coaches and players who spend time with D Lo, and Randle have already talked about the points I'm making right now.

Just now, IsraeliPSYCHO said:

yes we all know .. and now luke has him on the bench so what does that tell you?

i watch every laker game .. your box score reading and article reading will not prove your point, because you are wrong. watch randle play .. he is not as good as his potential and skillset will lead you to believe. trust me. 

I agree he's played like crap.  He has a new body type to adjust to, and he needs time.  I'm not saying that he looks like Draymond Green right now, I'm saying he has the potential, which both Luke Walton, and Draymond Green have also stated.  These articles quote the players and coaches so they're entirely relevant, even more than your opinion right now.

I still think Randle gets back into the starting line up.  I think he's being punished for forcing things, and playing reckless.  If he can calm down, and play to his strengths, he fits right in the that starting line up.  Again, we'll see.  It's easy to make the argument against him at this very moment because at this very moment D Lo is still developing, and Randle just got benched.  There's a long season ahead of us.

5 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

I agree he's played like crap.  He has a new body type to adjust to, and he needs time.  I'm not saying that he looks like Draymond Green right now, I'm saying he has the potential, which both Luke Walton, and Draymond Green have also stated.  These articles quote the players and coaches so they're entirely relevant, even more than your opinion right now.

I still think Randle gets back into the starting line up.  I think he's being punished for forcing things, and playing reckless.  If he can calm down, and play to his strengths, he fits right in the that starting line up.  Again, we'll see.  It's easy to make the argument against him at this very moment because at this very moment D Lo is still developing, and Randle just got benched.  There's a long season ahead of us.

the thing is, luke is trying to win now .. and with kuzma and nance both playing way better, he's not going to risk that because randle is in a contract year lol. randle has shown both flashes of potential and incompetence .. unfortunately, the incompetence has been more prevalent lately. hopefully, that can change soon. but luke is 100% in the right for playing kuzma and nance....especially kuzma, who been lookin like something special. 

The body language, the lapses in concentration, the sulking, the forcing things on the court...

When a guy’s head isn’t quite right

but playing angry works for him... let’s just say Randle’s no Rodman. And moving your head to a space where your contribution matches your potential is a lot trickier than lifting weights in the offseason (trust me I been working on this s--- my whole life).

Look at Stanley Johnson. All the work and positive talk, a lot more support from coaches (not to mention minutes he doesn’t really deserve) than Randle is getting — he’s still nowhere near his real self on the court right now.

Both those guys might end up hitting their ceilings (all-star bench?) And maybe Stan’s approach is better than Luke’s right now. But can you blame a coach for going with a guy who’s showed an enthusiasm to give his best no matter the role, and who has the tools to exceed his expectations, even if they’re a little lower? Especially with Kuzma suddenly looking like the future cornerstone?

BTW this is a nice thread with really helpful positions on both sides of the question. Thx all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IsraeliPSYCHO said:

the thing is, luke is trying to win now .. and with kuzma and nance both playing way better, he's not going to risk that because randle is in a contract year lol. randle has shown both flashes of potential and incompetence .. unfortunately, the incompetence has been more prevalent lately. hopefully, that can change soon. but luke is 100% in the right for playing kuzma and nance....especially kuzma, who been lookin like something special. 

Here's where we can agree.  

Walton wants to win because a bum season in LA makes it very difficult to attract any nice free agents which they have the money to spend on recruiting.

Where we defer is that I believe Randle is the better fit IF he can calm down, and play to his strengths.  When he's forcing things, and trying to light the world on fire, he looks like an idiot, and the Lakers look BAD.  

The Lakers would be stupid not to find out what he can do with his new, lean body-type.  They know he can distribute the ball great for a big man and they know he can rebound, and play transition well for a big game. He's gifted in his ability to move well for his size.  He's not doing himself any favors by bulldozing, but if he has a longer leash, and some time to get his confidence and feel, the starting line up could be solid with him in it, and Kuzma, who's a better scorer, coming off the bench as a spark plug with Clarkson.

I respect that you watch the games, but I do, too.  The insult of claiming the person who disagrees with you as a box score watcher is old.  Neither of us know who watches more Lakers games.  There's such thing as seeing more or less or different potential in a player and I don't expect everyone to agree with my head strong opinions.  I'll tell you that I am right, a lot, on Aaron Gordon ( watching him closely the end of last year ) Giannis ( in 2014 I collected his RC cards and it was a great investment ) and Jokic when he started slow last year.  I've also been wrong, though with guys like Ben Mclemore ( who I still believe in ) and Marcus Smart ( who's my favorite player ).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HulkSmash said:

https://media.giphy.com/media/cKbi6tnVGaZna/giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

Here's where we can agree.  

Walton wants to win because a bum season in LA makes it very difficult to attract any nice free agents which they have the money to spend on recruiting.

Where we defer is that I believe Randle is the better fit IF he can calm down, and play to his strengths.  When he's forcing things, and trying to light the world on fire, he looks like an idiot, and the Lakers look BAD.  

The Lakers would be stupid not to find out what he can do with his new, lean body-type.  They know he can distribute the ball great for a big man and they know he can rebound, and play transition well for a big game. He's gifted in his ability to move well for his size.  He's not doing himself any favors by bulldozing, but if he has a longer leash, and some time to get his confidence and feel, the starting line up could be solid with him in it, and Kuzma, who's a better scorer, coming off the bench as a spark plug with Clarkson.

I respect that you watch the games, but I do, too.  The insult of claiming the person who disagrees with you as a box score watcher is old.  Neither of us know who watches more Lakers games.  There's such thing as seeing more or less or different potential in a player and I don't expect everyone to agree with my head strong opinions.  I'll tell you that I am right, a lot, on Aaron Gordon ( watching him closely the end of last year ) Giannis ( in 2014 I collected his RC cards and it was a great investment ) and Jokic when he started slow last year.  I've also been wrong, though with guys like Ben Mclemore ( who I still believe in ) and Marcus Smart ( who's my favorite player ).

i hope you're right .. but u doubt it 

The thing is Lakers won't sign him next summer in order to clear cap space. He's the most obvious trade candidate and won't be part of their future.

While I don't disagree with everything, I find it laughable to compliment Walton.  He's running a 12-man rotation, which is idiotic to begin with.  Also, and I am sure (and hope) they will trade Randle at some point, it's pretty idiotic to hardly play him if they are serious about trading him.  That's not something Walton should really be that concerned about, but you would think the team would be.  Moving on from that though, it's also pretty bad how Walton is treating his players.  I didn't know it, but obviously Randle worked hard this offseason and this is how he rewards him.  I've said it many times, but I guess I'll say it again that the starting PF job should have been his to lose going into the season.  Nance has been solid so far, yes, but again, Randle did nothing in the preseason to earn the demotion.  I wouldn't want to play for a coach like that if I was in the NBA.

56 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

While I don't disagree with everything, I find it laughable to compliment Walton.  He's running a 12-man rotation, which is idiotic to begin with.  Also, and I am sure (and hope) they will trade Randle at some point, it's pretty idiotic to hardly play him if they are serious about trading him.  That's not something Walton should really be that concerned about, but you would think the team would be.  Moving on from that though, it's also pretty bad how Walton is treating his players.  I didn't know it, but obviously Randle worked hard this offseason and this is how he rewards him.  I've said it many times, but I guess I'll say it again that the starting PF job should have been his to lose going into the season.  Nance has been solid so far, yes, but again, Randle did nothing in the preseason to earn the demotion.  I wouldn't want to play for a coach like that if I was in the NBA.

Randle sucks, lol at blaming Walton. 

that's why you're not an nba coach

nance and especially kuzma are better. period. 

I know you want to make your case for drafting Randle at #62,  but blaming Luke is hilarious.

You people really think lifting weights and cutting body-fat are enough to make someone a better basketball player? Are you both serious.... you think the NBA is some kind of a Mr.Olympia tournament?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dekciw_1 said:

I know you want to make your case for drafting Randle at #62,  but blaming Luke is hilarious.

You people really think lifting weights and cutting body-fat are enough to make someone a better basketball player? Are you both serious.... you think the NBA is some kind of a Mr.Olympia tournament?

Nope, but as a business owner / manger, I want my guys to fully buy in, and Randle did just that and literally changed his body to prove it.

Lakers probably will end up trading Randle since they may not want to sign him long term, so yes, that's another smart reason to give him minutes right now and showcase.

Lance is not "better" and Kuzma is a rookie.  He's not a lotto pick in his contract year.  It's been 3 games, guys.  Let's see how this shakes out.  I'm betting on Randle getting that spot back for a number of reasons, and he proves that he's ready to contribute.

10 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

Nope, but as a business owner / manger, I want my guys to fully buy in, and Randle did just that and literally changed his body to prove it.

Lakers probably will end up trading Randle since they may not want to sign him long term, so yes, that's another smart reason to give him minutes right now and showcase.

Lance is not "better" and Kuzma is a rookie.  He's not a lotto pick in his contract year.  It's been 3 games, guys.  Let's see how this shakes out.  I'm betting on Randle getting that spot back for a number of reasons, and he proves that he's ready to contribute.

Uh, lmao. Nance is significantly better. The jury is at least out on Kuzma (which, props Julius, you at least have an argument that you're better than a late-1st round rookie), but Nance is as good defensively as Randle is bad, and he shoots about 15% better from the field because he isn't a complete moron. Dude has more spin moves to his left than he has made buckets.

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

Uh, lmao. Nance is significantly better. The jury is at least out on Kuzma (which, props Julius, you at least have an argument that you're better than a late-1st round rookie), but Nance is as good defensively as Randle is bad, and he shoots about 15% better from the field because he isn't a complete moron. Dude has more spin moves to his left than he has made buckets.

lmao, lmao, lmao