Bengalo

Julius Randle 2017-2018 Outlook

I took so much crap from people earlier this year in this thread but I'm sticking to it....

Randle compliments Brook Lopez perfectly if they can get him back in the starting line up.  Think about it, as a big man, what is Brook Lopez strength?  The 3 ball!  That allows Randle to stay near the rim.  What is Brook Lopez's mahor weakness?  Rebounding, which is a huge strength of Randle so he can gobble up those boards that Lopez doesn't seem to attract.

Now Randle, on paper looks like a good-passing big man, but basically it's his willingness to pass that gets him assists, not so much his skill because he's guilty of making some really stupid decisions with the ball as a playmaker.  That's something that can be worked on, so if Randle can stick to staying around the rim and getting the easy put backs, and bullying in the paint, while Brook hangs 12 ft or more from the rim on offense, they'll play really well together.  On defense, Randle isn't quite a rim protector but he can get a block per game, plus for a big man, he has active hands to get some steals.

I'm hoping Randle gives the Lakers and Walton no choice but to start him again at PF this year, as he was expecting, and why he hit the gym so hard all summer cutting down body fat and gaining strength.  If so, my prediction is

16/8/4/1.5/1

maybe half a 3 pter sprinkled in there, but I'd rather him avoid those shots and keep a higher FG%

He can put up decent lines every now and then, but he is simply not a very good player. Bench/energy guy at best. This is obvious to Lakers fans 

There's absolutely no way Randle starts for the rest of the season. Kuzma is arguably the best player on the team already 

• Like 1

I like Kuzma, a lot, but I'd like to see them start Ball/Clarkson/Ingram/Randle/Lopez, and let Kuzma be the scorer off the bench.  Clarkson might be their best offensive weapon, next to Lopez and Kuzma, and they've had no problem considering him an "energy guy" or "spark plug".  Why not try Kuzma off the bench with a 30mpg role and see how it works out?  It's not like the Lakers are killing it right now, and I think Randle's intensity is a lot like Marcus Smart of the Celtics, where he just uses willpower to help edge out wins for the team.

8 minutes ago, samer42 said:

There's absolutely no way Randle starts for the rest of the season. Kuzma is arguably the best player on the team already 

True. I say pick up Nance and stash away. Kuzma seems to be a liability on defense. I think Nance and Randle still going to be fairly useful (boards and stocks) to have as low end bigs. Also, Brook Lopez is not the most durable guy (sadly)..

There's no way Kuzma loses his starting spot to either Randle or Nance. Randle is set to lose minutes once Nance returns though. I'm not a fan of either Randle or Jordan Clarkson actually. Both ball stoppers looking to get their own and who are often reckless with the ball. I'm not sure where this idea that Randle is a good defender comes from either. 

2 minutes ago, samer42 said:

I'm not sure where this idea that Randle is a good defender comes from either. 

Well remember according to the all-time great coach and offensive craftsman Luke Walton last year Randle is their Draymond Green. You didn't know they possess the exact same skill set offensively and defensively?

1 minute ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

Well remember according to the all-time great coach and offensive craftsman Luke Walton last year Randle is their Draymond Green. You didn't know they possess the exact same skill set offensively and defensively?

Lol. In all seriousness though, Randle seems destined to play ball overseas 3 years from now. 

Playing off the bench is better for him. He gets to play with the opposing team's 2nd unit and gets to feast on them. Plus he plays the 5 off the bench so he gets to blow by most of the centers that aren't fast enough to guard him. Kuzma plays better with the starter imo because he makes his moves off the kick out passes and he needs other players to break down defenses. 

Undersized power forward with atrocious basketball IQ who relies on bully ball in a league where skilled stretch fours and centers who can shoot have become customary. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, samer42 said:

Lol. In all seriousness though, Randle seems destined to play ball overseas 3 years from now. 

No I actually think Randle is ok. He will still be in the league. He can be useful.

2 hours ago, HulkSmash said:

I like Kuzma, a lot, but I'd like to see them start Ball/Clarkson/Ingram/Randle/Lopez, and let Kuzma be the scorer off the bench.  Clarkson might be their best offensive weapon, next to Lopez and Kuzma, and they've had no problem considering him an "energy guy" or "spark plug".  Why not try Kuzma off the bench with a 30mpg role and see how it works out?  It's not like the Lakers are killing it right now, and I think Randle's intensity is a lot like Marcus Smart of the Celtics, where he just uses willpower to help edge out wins for the team.

Seriously? Have you seen how Clarkson plays with other people? And also KCP can't make space as easy as Clarkson..

3 hours ago, HulkSmash said:

Clarkson is an idiot on offense. He belongs on the bench; the less good players wasted around him, the better. I don't see any reason to bring Kuzma off the bench, either. Kuzma is better off-ball than Randle. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2017 at 12:56 AM, samer42 said:

There's no way Kuzma loses his starting spot to either Randle or Nance. Randle is set to lose minutes once Nance returns though. I'm not a fan of either Randle or Jordan Clarkson actually. Both ball stoppers looking to get their own and who are often reckless with the ball. I'm not sure where this idea that Randle is a good defender comes from either. 

Oops

Brolo out at least 3 weeks and Randle has been ok in limited minutes.

What are we expecting out of him?

I'm hoping for at least 26-28 mins at both C and PF with some double doubles sprinkled in and a few assists. Hopefully some stocks and a 3 here and there

Hopefully they start him. I don’t see Zubac moving into that spot and putting Nance there would be going way small 

Edited by JooCraig

Imagine if Julius actually plays 30 minutes a game... Its sad seeing him actually lose minutes since Lopez went down he's the best all around big we have on this team

• Like 1