Sign in to follow this  
DLove

Will Barton 2017-18 Season Outlook

No thread on Will the Thrill?! 

He was very inconsistent last season to say the least... but while Chandler and Gallo were hurt and he was healthy, he was putting up some nice numbers (mainly counting stats, efficiency could've been better). Now... contract year, no more Gallo, and looking like he'll get backup mins at both SF and SG... what do you guys think about him this year?? 

i think he's more than a streaming option, which is what he's being treated as.

• Like 2

As you guys may already know, Barton is one of my favorite perennially underrated guys in the later rounds of drafts. I just picked him up in my 12 man and dropped my 13th rounder - I couldn't believe he was on the wire. 

I've had him both the past two years in fantasy (technically 3 because I picked him up post trade to the Nuggets and he helped me win a league that year).

People pick Hood a few rounds earlier in a lot of drafts, yet this guy goes undrafted in many leagues and gives you a steady 14 / 4 / 3.5 / .8 with 1.5 3's, average %'s, very low TO. He has room for growth in steals / FT% (hit 80% a few times and regressed to 75% randomly last year) / REB (he went from 5.8 two years ago to 4+ last year) / Assists.

Well, it looks like Malone is really singing his praises this preseason and is ready to get him more minutes, great read here: 

http://bsndenver.com/you-know-me-i-gotta-play-will-barton-gearing-up-for-increased-role-with-nuggets/

Some interesting quotes:

“I think what happened was when Will Barton knew he was only getting 20 minutes, he probably doesn’t even realize this, he tried to impact the game with just his scoring because he probably thought that was what could keep him on the court,” Malone said. “When he knew he was going to play extended minutes Will Barton was a complete basketball player. He was a facilitator, made the right play, and let the game to come to him. That is what I want to see this year. I want to allow Will to play with freedom, pick his spots, be a facilitator, be a scorer, and Will is one of the few guys we have that can get his shot whenever he wants. That is the luxury of having a guy like Will Barton coming off of the bench. He can make a play for himself or for his teammates at any point in the game.”

"You know me. I gotta play,” Barton explained. “I always feel like I should play and like I said if you look at my numbers they don’t lie. When I play over a certain amount of minutes I am real productive.”

This was also echoed, again, by Malone when he asked if he envisions Barton taking on an increased role with Denver this season.

“That is the plan. Last year was tough for Will. Especially when we were healthy,” Malone said. “He was playing 20 minutes a night because we had Gallo, we had Wilson, Gary was playing so well and so many of these other guys but now, the hope is that we can get Will Barton, I’d love to get him up to 25 or 26 minutes a night because when he got those minutes last year his numbers were off the charts. ”

I personally can't understand why this guy doesn't get enough love. Bball monster currently has him as a 16th round valuation, it's just nuts to me. They somehow pegged him to drop down 3 ppg from 13+ to 10... with zero basis for it. 

Gallinari is gone, Wilson Chandler is EXTREMELY injury prone (he's already complaining about a sore hip in preseason), Jamal Murray is inconsistent (and Malone in this article and a few others I've read said he likes them playing together). 

Barton already has 3 blocks, 5 steals, 6 3's, 12 rebounds, and 17 assists to just 4 turnovers in 4 preseason games!

If he's at a steady 25-28 mpg, without having those down games where Malone plays him 20 mpg and he has a bad line, he could be fantasy gold. He's my absolute favorite steal in the later rounds of drafts because unlike other SGs, he brings not only 3's or points but is also a sneaky shot blocker (.5) and dimes guy (3.4 last year). If the minutes increase, the dimes and steals output will also increase. His value has usually been buoyed by his lack of steals the past two seasons, but I'm a believer in his length and athleticism (he had 1.2 STLS in 28 games when he first arrived in Denver). Gallinari is a bit of a ball stopper and a high usage guy who doesn't pass, with him out of the picture and Millsap/Plumlee in the picture (both wonderful passers out of the post), I think this year Barton may finally show it all. This is a great offensive system last but not least.

Edit: Another solid article here as well from preseason - http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/barton-rounding-into-form-100817/

Edited by Lifschitz

He doesn't get much love because last season he played 28mpg and he wasn't that great (#120 overall in 9cat). He is what he is, a serviceable SG/SF who's great for AST but provides below average STL and %s. Yahoo's rank, that has it at #126, sounds about right to me

• Like 1

I think you should also mention Harris' development (I think he's better than Barton, but I might be going out on a imb here), and Juancho's development. Junacho got, what, 13-15 minutes a game last season? That number will go up. Murray will play some SG, and probably get more minutes than the 21 he got last year. Harris' minutes might go up a bit, over the ~30 he got last season. Chandler could play more. 

To be honest, I think Barton is, indeed, what he is. A serviceable backup who can contribute in games where starters are out or being rested.  

36 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

I think you should also mention Harris' development (I think he's better than Barton, but I might be going out on a imb here), and Juancho's development. Junacho got, what, 13-15 minutes a game last season? That number will go up. Murray will play some SG, and probably get more minutes than the 21 he got last year. Harris' minutes might go up a bit, over the ~30 he got last season. Chandler could play more. 

To be honest, I think Barton is, indeed, what he is. A serviceable backup who can contribute in games where starters are out or being rested.  

Harris is definitely better (and Barton is most definitely the back up - and that's not a bad thing), he's 4 years younger and has the higher upside, but they're different types of players. Harris isn't the playmaker Barton is. He's an excellent slasher/straight line driver/amazing shooter/athletic finisher. Barton on the other hand is a do-it-all type who doesn't stand out in any one particular area. Though I just feel he deserves more recognition in both real life and in fantasy. He brings a lot of skills to the table. I'm hard-pressed to find all-around SG/SFs like him in the later rounds. Bazemore and Hood will get taken much earlier, and Barton will get ignored, that's what I don't understand.

A guy with his length and anticipation (Malone said he's working hard to improve defensively) shouldn't be hovering at his low steals totals. I can foresee him bringing that up this year to at least 1. He was also an outstanding rebounder the season prior - especially on a per minute basis. His per 36 in 2015-16 had him at 18 / 7.3 / 3.1 / 1.1 / .6 and 1.7 3's... his per 36 last year had him at 17 / 5.5 / 4.3 / 1 / .6 and 1.8 3's.. Sure he'll never get these many minutes, but an up-tick and consistent amount of minutes means we'll see him get closer to his stat ceiling (and it's a very nice well rounded one). 

As their sixth man who can play up to 3 positions (Malone said they'll even run him as a point for short stints in these articles), runs the pick and roll beautifully, I see a guy who can add a lot of value across-the-board statistically. His issue has never been his talent, it's been his consistency. I tuned in to Denver games strictly to watch him, and there were games where he would come in right away and chuck 6 shots in a row, and then the next game he'd mix it up between pick and roll playmaker and shot maker; it's when he does the latter when he has the most success, and Malone/Barton pointed out the same inconsistencies in these pieces.

If you look at his gamelog, when he'd come in shooting the ball woefully, he got his minutes reduced, it looks like they want to figure that part out, and Malone wants to consistently give him minutes, that's the most important takeaway here.

Hernangomez is most definitely a talent, but there is more than enough minutes to go around in the wake of Gallinari. 

I'm all in, especially at the round he's going. 

Edited by Lifschitz

Barton alert: 

Just helped the Nuggets cut a 20 point lead in the third quarter pretty much by himself.

23 / 5 / 3 / 3 and 3 3's on 4/5 FT so far with 9 minutes left in the 4th.

Edited by Lifschitz

image.png.a321d6e6a6a14faa0a5be65e73f04e29.png

Racking up the stocks / stats so far, 4 blocks, 8 steals in 5 games. 16 rebounds, 20 assists, 10 3's.. averaging 1 TO per game.

Edited by Lifschitz

I have both.. 

Lamb has good short-term upside, if Batum is out 3 months or has any complications season-long then he's a solid add. Malik Monk is on his heels though, so he's got a lot of pressure to perform. It's a good thing Belinelli is gone to the Hawks or it would've been really muddled

I prefer Barton season long (he's the safer option with the safer role) - the offense is better, no Dwight to eat up touches, he's got great passers in Millsap/Jokic/Plumlee (both Plumlee and Jokic show great chemistry with him out of the high post), and he runs the offense a lot of times. If the defensive upside comes to fruition for Barton (Lamb also has defensive upside because he has a 6'11.5 wingspan for a 6'5 player), then look out. He's also a better marksman from deep. 

• Like 1

I'm so freakin disappointed right now :/

Every time this guy builds up a bit of momentum he injures his ankle.. 

I'll be waiting to hear what the MRI says, hanging on for now.. 

I am so happy I didn't draft Will this season as I now understand that this thread is the curse!

Unless the thread title says "Will barton" I won't be touching him. CAPITALIZATION ruined him during 15-16 season.

Edited by jbourne
  • Like 1

I'm hoping we get the Barton from 2 years ago. When Gallinari was injured and he was borderline waiver wire pickup of the year.

seriously? wow this is awesome news. the way reports were written yesterday, you'd think barton just suffered a season-ending injury.

On 10/16/2017 at 3:25 PM, KuramaHiei said:

sprained ankle...seems serious...drop?

17 hours ago, Jub Jub said:

Let’s hope for good news, too soon to drop

Need to be patient sometimes, can't drop based on initial reports.

21 pts and 3 triples in the first half. Will the Thrill is playing with a vengeance. Dude is really playing for that contract extension