Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

parrothead

Lucas Giolito 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, taobball said:

 

Well, assuming temperature is his biggest flaw. 

And more importantly, assuming weather predictions are correct. Here in OK, it's a +/- 20 dgrees and same with wind speeds 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

And more importantly, assuming weather predictions are correct. Here in OK, it's a +/- 20 dgrees and same with wind speeds 

 

Well, I feel like that's not more important, but good point in terms of the temperature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sleepysock said:

 

Supposed to be 56 and sunny on the day he starts, so he should be fine. 

 

Am holding and agree with what you're saying about the conditions. I'm just not seeing many glimmers of hope even if we allow a total pass on these two starts b/c of weather. Not really any moments or pitches to make me optimistic, just looked really, really hittable. I did miss the first two innings of his last start, though. In general not optimistic, but will be watching even if he's on my bench

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy bench for me tomorrow, still gonna be cold in Minesota. I hope he succeeds but from what I have seen so far, nah. 

 

Guess we won't truly know until he gets a few starts in better conditions. Not an excuse Lopez has needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Who else is benching today?

 

No chance I would start him. He's on thin ice. More than 2 walks today and he's toast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumped him for a streamer.  That K:BB ratio is atrocious.  Starting to think he might never live up to the billing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't think people should overreact based on two starts. I believe he is going to settle down and pitch well. That being said i am not starting him tonight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Giolito has post-hype prospect buzz and is 60% owned. The mystery is why he’s been ineffective this year after a good spring. Here’s your answer. I’d drop him."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chud12 said:

"Giolito has post-hype prospect buzz and is 60% owned. The mystery is why he’s been ineffective this year after a good spring. Here’s your answer. I’d drop him."

 

What's that quoted from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jpress82 said:

i don't think people should overreact based on two starts. I believe he is going to settle down and pitch well. That being said i am not starting him tonight

 

To be clear, Most people aren't overreacting based on two starts. I've been low on Giolito for about a year+ now. I think the industry was low on Giolito when he got moved to the White Sox. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main reason I am holding Gioloto is because if he gets ~two good starts you could probably trade him (not for much obviously) to someone less aware who is just going off his name value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this guy is crapola. thought his fb was hitting 95+ again out of spring training but all im seeing now is 91/92. this along with him not being able to throw his curve for strikes and hes toast. perhaps hes over throwing now as his curve was quite effective in the thin air of arizona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mjuevos said:

this guy is crapola. thought his fb was hitting 95+ again out of spring training but all im seeing now is 91/92. this along with him not being able to throw his curve for strikes and hes toast. perhaps hes over throwing now as his curve was quite effective in the thin air of arizona

 

He's not throwing much of anything for strikes 

286 pitches, 157 strikes, 129 balls 

5.40 BB/9

3.86 Kp9

0.71 K:BB

0.00 Hr/9 !

.233 babip 

 

Cold weather in mind, I am so glad to be done with this, even if for Kevin Gausman. Stoked on it, really. Those 2 QS with his name value could let you slip him by someone who isn't paying attention or hasn't actually watched him pitch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the hell happened to this guy from spring until now? I was finally able to watch him in the regular season and they look like two entirely different pitchers. I wonder if he screwed up his mechanics somehow. It's night and day in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, loro1991 said:

 

He's not throwing much of anything for strikes 

286 pitches, 157 strikes, 129 balls 

5.40 BB/9

3.86 Kp9

0.71 K:BB

0.00 Hr/9 !

.233 babip 

 

Cold weather in mind, I am so glad to be done with this, even if for Kevin Gausman. Stoked on it, really. Those 2 QS with his name value could let you slip him by someone who isn't paying attention or hasn't actually watched him pitch. 

 

???

 

Somebody who "isn't really paying attention" is going to look at the ERA, WHIP and K rate and laugh in your face.  He's worthless right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched his start, really amazed I drafted this guy. Just doesn't have good stuff. Oh well, I moved on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

Watched his start, really amazed I drafted this guy. Just doesn't have good stuff. Oh well, I moved on.

Fully agree. I drafted him in several leagues and was pretty excited about it but he doesn’t have a plus pitch and he seems to have poor command. This feels like I didn’t do enough research on this guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Fully agree. I drafted him in several leagues and was pretty excited about it but he doesn’t have a plus pitch and he seems to have poor command. This feels like I didn’t do enough research on this guy. 

 

You probably did enough research, he was a popular breakout pick and looked great in ST. It is as if he is two different pitchers in the span of 2 weeks. Maddening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

technically it was a quality start but yeah it was not what you were expecting. It could be cold weather that is screwing wit his grip so maybe he can turn it around. i am not dropping him yet but of course that can change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CAT said:

 

???

 

Somebody who "isn't really paying attention" is going to look at the ERA, WHIP and K rate and laugh in your face.  He's worthless right now.

 

I'm guessing someone will bite based on his 2017 stats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mickey Donovan said:

Watched his start, really amazed I drafted this guy. Just doesn't have good stuff. Oh well, I moved on.

Same here. He just does not look good at all. I am usually very patient when it comes to younger players with talent, but I just don't see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, klove42 said:

Same here. He just does not look good at all. I am usually very patient when it comes to younger players with talent, but I just don't see it. 

 

Because usually you can still see the TOOLS.

 

When a guy throws 92, but paints the black... ya go "Okay." 

 

When a guy throws 97 with ferocity but is a little wild... ya go, "Okay, maybe tone it down, but wow that looks scary."

 

When a guy throws 92, but the catcher sets up on the inside corner, and he misses four inches away with a fastball that doesn't even look particularly sharp... 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, taobball said:

 

Because usually you can still see the TOOLS.

 

When a guy throws 92, but paints the black... ya go "Okay." 

 

When a guy throws 97 with ferocity but is a little wild... ya go, "Okay, maybe tone it down, but wow that looks scary."

 

When a guy throws 92, but the catcher sets up on the inside corner, and he misses four inches away with a fastball that doesn't even look particularly sharp... 

 

 

I agree. I by no means think I am a scout or great evaluator  of talent, but I watch him and I have no idea why he was ever rated a top 10 prospect. This is not just this year either. When he was called up initially with the Nats too, I just did not see the tools. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.