Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

parrothead

Lucas Giolito 2018 Outlook

13 minutes ago, klove42 said:

I agree. I by no means think I am a scout or great evaluator  of talent, but I watch him and I have no idea why he was ever rated a top 10 prospect. This is not just this year either. When he was called up initially with the Nats too, I just did not see the tools. 

Agreed 100%. I have already said it but as someone who just traded him, there was nothing there. I get that it's been cold but I am hedging my bets that there is more to this than just the temperature to make him that bad. Was really frustrating to watch, I don't know how he was ever so touted

someone really screwed him up along the way { maybe that someone is him }. this guy used to have 99+ as a prospect. you watch his wind up now and theres absolutely NO explosiveness. its like watching a middle aged dad trying to pitch. quite sad. 

3 hours ago, mjuevos said:

someone really screwed him up along the way { maybe that someone is him }. this guy used to have 99+ as a prospect. you watch his wind up now and theres absolutely NO explosiveness. its like watching a middle aged dad trying to pitch. quite sad. 

The Nats changed his mechanics to something less physically stressful and it's been an uphill battle ever since. The 80 grade Fastball is long gone and never coming back. But it's shocking to see how far it's dropped.

That said, it still boggles the mind how bad he looks now compared to ST or his last 10 AAA starts where it seemed like the mechanical fixes the White Sox instilled finally clicked and he as a result looked comfortable and was able to command four pitches and was thus pegged as a breakout guy for 2018 by people smarter than you or I. 

Good thing for the White Sox that even if he busts, it looks like they still did well with the Eaton trade. Not often that happens when the headliner in a major deal goes belly up. 

2 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

The Nats changed his mechanics to something less physically stressful and it's been an uphill battle ever since. The 80 grade Fastball is long gone and never coming back. But it's shocking to see how far it's dropped.

That said, it still boggles the mind how bad he looks now compared to ST or his last 10 AAA starts where it seemed like the mechanical fixes the White Sox instilled finally clicked and he as a result looked comfortable and was able to command four pitches and was thus pegged as a breakout guy for 2018 by people smarter than you or I. 

Good thing for the White Sox that even if he busts, it looks like they still did well with the Eaton trade. Not often that happens when the headliner in a major deal goes belly up. 

Reynaldo Lopez was considered destined for the Pen at the time of the trade by many scouts, so definitely agree taht if he works out (and Dunning for that matter pitching well in the minors) that this was a good trade for the Sox. 

1 minute ago, taobball said:

Reynaldo Lopez was considered destined for the Pen at the time of the trade by many scouts, so definitely agree taht if he works out (and Dunning for that matter pitching well in the minors) that this was a good trade for the Sox. 

Yeah I had Lopez pegged as a future setup man or maybe a closer if he could keep the walks down. He looks so much better this year than last.

Caught some of Dunning's start the other day and in addition to the great command, he's now got a much better curveball than last year. Gio, Lopez, Kopech, Fulmer, Cease, and Hansen all get more pub among the young Sox arms, but I bet Dunning ends up better than at least half of them for no reason other than the fact that he's the only one of the group without control issues. I'll take good stuff + good command over elite stuff + command issues 9 times out of 10. 

No longer 2 starts.

White Sox's Lucas Giolito: Start slides back to Saturday
https://www.thescore.com/news/1527531

He moves from Tuesday night at OAK, to an extra 4 days of rest and a start at home against HOU on Saturday instead of Sunday.

Got him dirt cheap in dynasty. Was hoping for the 2 starts.

1 hour ago, Lebanasty said:

No longer 2 starts.

White Sox's Lucas Giolito: Start slides back to Saturday
https://www.thescore.com/news/1527531

He moves from Tuesday night at OAK, to an extra 4 days of rest and a start at home against HOU on Saturday instead of Sunday.

Got him dirt cheap in dynasty. Was hoping for the 2 starts.

you get whatcha pay for :)

man he’s terrible. terrible stuff and cant throw strikes. they need to send his azz down asap. 

I dont understand how this dude did so well in his short stini at the end of last year and now looks like this...

weathers clear at 52f to start game

giolito wasnt as good as his numbers last year. babip had alot of luck. 

man his curve looks like a 4yr olds.. bouncing 10ft from the plate

Going to be a lot of folks dropping Giolito after this one. He has yet to pitch even one halfway decent game this season so far. Nada.

Obliterated. I have to imagine a demotion to triple A will be considered by the Sox brass. Is it too early to speculate about Kopech time? He pitched last night ?

im a sox fan so its tough to watch. renteria n cooper keep throwing him out there the way he is and his confidences gonna be in the toilet with him being out of baseball in a year. 

Demote him to the bullpen - maybe he can pull a Archie Bradley.  Firemen are very valuable in the league these days.  Just let him go balls out for an inning rather than trying to "pitch" to make it seven plus innings. 

lol, so glad I traded this guy after his last "quality" start. Can trick a lot of people with name value (ooh top prospect!) and box scores (two quality starts)  The reality? His first 3 starts were some of the worst pitching I've ever seen. 

7 walks in 2 IP?  Woof.

I dropped him after his second start and was surprised he didn't clear waivers.  I'm guessing he will NOW.

The kid has top of the rotation stuff - he continues to have location issues.  He had figured it out in the last part of last season & was incredibly impressive.  

5 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

The kid has top of the rotation stuff - he continues to have location issues.  He had figured it out in the last part of last season & was incredibly impressive.  

He has absolutely nothing right now, there was seriously nothing in his first 3 starts that I saw that was encouraging. He looked like a bad A ball pitcher.

I am sorry but anyone saying anything positive about Gioloto this season probably hasn't actually watched him pitch

6 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

He has absolutely nothing right now, there was seriously nothing in his first 3 starts that I saw that was encouraging. He looked like a bad A ball pitcher.

His peripherals last season were not good even if he had surface level success

1)  He has elite stuff - STUFF.  He's 23 and he's still learning to pitch.  Steve Stone had a great analysis during the local telecast tonight if anyone caught it.  Going into this game - I don't know what it is now - opponents were batting .203 against him this season.  Which proves the point - he has very good stuff & struggling to locate it as most every young pitcher does on the ML level getting their first 200-300 innings under their belt.

2)  His peripherals last year?  In the last two months of the season he had a 2.43 ERA in 40+ innings, ~1.00 WHIP, ~.190 opponents BA.  Yah - those were awfully stellar last year (albeit in a small sample size).

He simply cannot locate his pitches right now.  End of story - he'll figure it out & will eventually be an awfully good ML starter.  No clue if that happens this year at any point.