Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

parrothead

Lucas Giolito 2018 Outlook

Ever since I basically called this guy a stooge in my last post here - he's been dynamite its pretty crazy actually his numbers the last month have been drastically different.

K's are up to 25 % the past month (from 16% on the year) Walks are down substantially too. I have to take a Loss on this one. 

Didn't watch any of it, but still somewhat surprising they sent him out for the 7th even though he was cruising when he was just over 100 pitches.  I guess he ran out of gas, but even the walk after 1 out doesn't hurt his line much.

Stayed away because of the matchup, but I might have to take a chance on him now, especially with the way he's been pitching of late and his next matchup.

Just now, KilloWertz said:

Didn't watch any of it, but still somewhat surprising they sent him out for the 7th even though he was cruising when he was just over 100 pitches.  I guess he ran out of gas, but even the walk after 1 out doesn't hurt his line much.

Stayed away because of the matchup, but I might have to take a chance on him now, especially with the way he's been pitching of late and his next matchup.

Sox manager is weird, either leaves guy in too long or takes em out too early. Bullpen is a mess so it's probably scrambled Renteria's brain. 

2 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Sox manager is weird, either leaves guy in too long or takes em out too early. Bullpen is a mess so it's probably scrambled Renteria's brain. 

It's possible.

It's a shame they blew the win so quickly after he pitched so good, but oh well I guess.  Snatched him up a little bit ago for that next start.

Maybe I am missing something, but why is a guy with a 5+ ERA and 1.4+ WHIP who now has 4 decent starts in a row suddenly a great commodity?  The prior 3 of those decent starts were against Det (twice) and Min.  And prior to that he got shelled for 7 ERs in 5 innings by the Yankees.  Still seems pretty risky to me even if he appears to have mostly pretty favorable matchups the rest of the way.  I guess it is an OK play if you are desperate for a pitcher, but it still seems like a gamble.

41 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Maybe I am missing something, but why is a guy with a 5+ ERA and 1.4+ WHIP who now has 4 decent starts in a row suddenly a great commodity?  The prior 3 of those decent starts were against Det (twice) and Min.  And prior to that he got shelled for 7 ERs in 5 innings by the Yankees.  Still seems pretty risky to me even if he appears to have mostly pretty favorable matchups the rest of the way.  I guess it is an OK play if you are desperate for a pitcher, but it still seems like a gamble.

No guts no glory

Throw the ERA and WHIP out the window. They're irrelevant forecasting him ROS.

The Yankee start was essentially one bad inning that got him. Watch the highlights of his performance tonight. He kept the best offense in baseball off balance and made them look silly at times. 

https://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2018/08/31/2446801783/1535687476256/asset_1800K.mp4

He's just a completely different pitcher than he was before the break. Better command, better velo, more movement, and he's added a sick change to his repertoire. 

6 hours ago, secretagentman said:

2018 Outloook and ROS, not 2018 In The Past. Just like Sev dominating the first half of the year isn’t gonna help in the playoffs, Giolito being awful isn’t gonna sink you. By this time of the year, it’s what have you done lately. 

7 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Throw the ERA and WHIP out the window. They're irrelevant forecasting him ROS.

The Yankee start was essentially one bad inning that got him. Watch the highlights of his performance tonight. He kept the best offense in baseball off balance and made them look silly at times. 

https://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2018/08/31/2446801783/1535687476256/asset_1800K.mp4

He's just a completely different pitcher than he was before the break. Better command, better velo, more movement, and he's added a sick change to his repertoire. 

i own lugi in my dynasty and to be honest he made me sick first half. but seems hes battled back and this game his stuff was pretty nasty.. reminesce of his early minors stuff. if he can be consistent with his command and if his fb stays 95ish he can perhaps be a sp2 someday. 

good for you lucas.. good for you

He has been a completely different Pitcher the last month or so & I am buying stock in my Keeper league but I'm still not 100% sold on him 'completely' righting the ship. However he is a definite start Tuesday vs Detroit & from there I'll take it start by start.

23 minutes ago, street sharks said:

4 ER honestly isn't terrible for a blow up. It's 5+ where I want to kick myself

Yeah maybe over five innings, not one and a third. He had a rendezvous with 5+ runs before Renteria put him out of his misery. 

He didn’t blow up too poorly and his ROS matchups are super easy. Gonna hold for one more start. We know he has the stuff, but he definitely wasn’t ready to play 

I haven't been burned by this guy enough this year but I may possibly return for more torture. Friday is the day my SPs hit the "limit" and I can go over. Giolito has the hapless Twins on the docket in 35 degree weather. I watched him two starts ago and saw he was unlucky, allegedly that was the case last time out, too. What do you guys think?