jfazz23

Greg Bird 2018 Outlook

In the year 2060 I’ll be around a hologram fireplace telling the grandkids of the greatest roto world busts of all time.  Brandon Wood, Brett Wallace, Jon Singleton, Gordon Beckham, Brian Bullington, Kyle Sleeth, Greg Bird

Edited by kidtwentytwo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, jstep13 said:

Sorry I must've misread it when you said he's one of those 'never again' guys. 

I could have been less vague, I think he will be for a lot of people. The GB hype train has been ruthless lol

25 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

In the year 2060 I’ll be around a hologram fireplace telling the grandkids of the greatest roto world busts of all time.  Brandon Wood, Brett Wallace, Jon Singleton, Gordon Beckham, Brian Bullington, Kyle Sleeth, Greg Bird

This stud deserves his own special chapter...

jesus-montero.jpg?w=420

• Haha 1

As a Yankee fan and owner, I went thru the 5 stages of Bird grief the past 24 hours...

Denial - What?? He needs surgery AGAIN on the same ******* foot?? This can't be happening again...

Anger - You know what, **** this guy already! I touted him all preseason on the forums and now he does this to me!! 

Bargaining - If only he hadn't danced around in that stupid video he'd be totally fine right now! What if he just amputates the foot and gets a cyborg one?

Depression - This guy is never going to be healthy, we have no first basemen once again, our season is over, and there goes my utility breakout. 

Acceptance - At least they know exactly what the problem is and it's nothing serious like ligament damage or a broken ankle. Perhaps this will finally be the end of the foot problems and he will only be out 2 months. The Yankees still LOVE this guy and if he hits, he will probably be inserted into possibly the best lineup spot in all of baseball in Yankee Stadium. As long as these things don't change, I will never give up on the ?! I'm going down in flames with the foot!

..........??

• Haha 2

Buster Olney of ESPN reports that doctors removed "a coin-sized calcium deposit" from Greg Bird's ankle.

That would explain the discomfort. Bird is expected to miss 6-8 weeks, essentially taking him out of the mix for the first two months of the season. The Yankees could go with a combination of Neil Walker and Tyler Austin at first base, which would result in Tyler Wade and Ronald Torreyes splitting time at second base. Miguel Andujar is reportedly expected to see some time at first base in the minors, so he could also be a fill-in option for Bird before long.

2 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

Acceptance - At least they know exactly what the problem is and it's nothing serious like ligament damage or a broken ankle. Perhaps this will finally be the end of the foot problems and he will only be out 2 months. The Yankees still LOVE this guy and if he hits, he will probably be inserted into possibly the best lineup spot in all of baseball in Yankee Stadium. As long as these things don't change, I will never give up on the ?! I'm going down in flames with the foot!

..........??

I'm right there with you. Birds a polarizing name. Maybe he keeps getting injured, but this very instance is a normal issue that happens after the surgery he had last year. It's not like he tripped on a base and broke something.

Ive seen posts like "looks like the Yankees can't trust this guy anymore", etc. Trust with what exactly?  It's not like he just had a bad stretch of games in season.

Maybe he won't be healthy in 2 months. But if he is, all that matters is he hits. And I think a healthy bird hits.... Until he gets injured again ?

Still he was a big part of their end of season run last year, and as a lefty taking Miller deep in the playoffs isn't nothing.

There's no question he's a lot less valuable in redraft at the moment.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Buster Olney of ESPN reports that doctors removed "a coin-sized calcium deposit" from Greg Bird's ankle.

That would explain the discomfort. Bird is expected to miss 6-8 weeks, essentially taking him out of the mix for the first two months of the season. The Yankees could go with a combination of Neil Walker and Tyler Austin at first base, which would result in Tyler Wade and Ronald Torreyes splitting time at second base. Miguel Andujar is reportedly expected to see some time at first base in the minors, so he could also be a fill-in option for Bird before long.

I find it astonishing and practically implausible that this "coin sized" calcium deposit was not seen on the CT Scan and/or MRI from Saturday. It doesn't work that way.

So either the "inflammation only" report was fake news or the Mets doctors read his CT and MRI exams, not the Yankee doctors.

9 minutes ago, Koufax Machine said:

I find it astonishing and practically implausible that this "coin sized" calcium deposit was not seen on the CT Scan and/or MRI from Saturday. It doesn't work that way.

Technically speaking, some  countries use very small currency and you can't even see a bitcoin.

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Mikewastaken said:

You have to take it as good news that they found something tangible and were able to remove it. 

At this time last year, he was a coward faking injuries to avoid playing baseball. Two or three surgeries later on the injury he'd been complaining about, he's injury-prone and will never live up to the hype. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and the narrative is massively different again this time next year.

24 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

At this time last year, he was a coward faking injuries to avoid playing baseball. Two or three surgeries later on the injury he'd been complaining about, he's injury-prone and will never live up to the hype. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and the narrative is massively different again this time next year.

Why was he avoiding baseball?

I'm kind of intrigued on him since I had intended to pay for him in a keeper league auction only to see him hurt the day before, get bought by someone else for $2 and already dropped.

Send this guy over to the Mets training staff, they'll get him fixed right up

"Have a seat right over here, Mr. Bird"

group_image_2013.jpg

28 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

giphy.gif

this is why we love you brock

• Like 2

Is there an ETA on his return at this point? When I hear full baseball activity by next week it has me perking up.

Just now, AHF said:

Is there an ETA on his return at this point? When I hear full baseball activity by next week it has me perking up.

I've read sometime in May most likely. Earlier than later. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

If I was forced to put a date, I'd say May 15th from everything I've read. Was 6-8 weeks in the 3rd week of March.

Looks like Bird is progressing well.

Baseball-related activity soon.

Time to get excited!

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

tyler austin hasnt been bad tbh

i just think bird is a good deal better

Greg Bird (ankle) will travel to Tampa on Friday to continue his rehab.

Advice: Bird required surgery about a month ago to remove a bone spur and calcium deposit from his right ankle, but he's starting to make some progress. The initial timetable said he'd miss 6-8 weeks, so a return by the end of May is possible if he can avoid setbacks. That's no guarantee given his history.

More: Marc Carig on Twitter

(Rotoworld.com)

Bird's Finally Migrating South! Time to grease up the "Hype-Train"!