jfazz23

Greg Bird 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, Jrick45 said:

Greg Bird (ankle) will travel to Tampa on Friday to continue his rehab.

Advice: Bird required surgery about a month ago to remove a bone spur and calcium deposit from his right ankle, but he's starting to make some progress. The initial timetable said he'd miss 6-8 weeks, so a return by the end of May is possible if he can avoid setbacks. That's no guarantee given his history.

More: Marc Carig on Twitter

(Rotoworld.com)

Bird's Finally Migrating South! Time to grease up the "Hype-Train"! 

Greasing up the Bird hype-train has been banned. Slipping on it has become too much of an injury risk for him.

• Haha 1

sounds like rehab games soon. Then hopefully maybe he can give us suckers who own him a week or 2 before his next extended DL trip. I believe in him and his talent, then again Charlie Brown believed Lucy would not move that football either....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bird (ankle) served as the designated hitter Monday in an extended spring training game, going 1-for-3 with two walks, Mike Mazzeo of the New York Daily News reports.

Spin: 
It marked Bird's first game action of any kind since undergoing surgery to repair his right ankle March 27. Yankees skipper Aaron Boone previously suggested that Bird would require around 10-to-14 days of minor-league rehab games before returning from the 10-day disabled list, so expect the 25-year-old to suit up for another extended spring game or two before beginning a minor-league rehab assignment. If Bird's ankle doesn't prove to be a concern defensively at first base and he picks up the requisite at-bats to regain his timing at the plate, he should be activated before the end of May. Tyler Austin's playing time would likely be threatened most once Bird is back in the fold for the Yankees.

Can someone please explain to me why everyone's so hyped about this guy? He's a career .227 hitter with a strikeout rate north of 27%. You can find power elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Saucy said:

Can someone please explain to me why everyone's so hyped about this guy? He's a career .227 hitter with a strikeout rate north of 27%. You can find power elsewhere.

Being a regular part of the 2018 Yankee lineup, in Yankee Stadium, absent anything else to do with his profile (power grade: 60) and pedigree (2013 minor league player of the year), might have something to do with it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mikewastaken said:

Being a regular part of the 2018 Yankee lineup, in Yankee Stadium, absent anything else to do with his profile (power grade: 60) and pedigree (2013 minor league player of the year), might have something to do with it.

Fair.

22 minutes ago, Saucy said:

Fair.

To expand a bit, that stadium made Didi Gregorius into a prolific power hitter... I still can't wrap my head around that. The boost that park gives to left-handed hitters is absurd and Bird is a fly-ball hitting left-handed hitter perfectly suited to cash in if he could ever stay healthy.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mikewastaken said:

All of this. Plus the fact that when Bird returned last season on August 26th, through the playoff run, he logged 109 at bats. During that time, he had 9 home runs and 22 RBIs. I know projections do not work this simply, but that full season pace would be 45 home runs & 110 RBIs with a full season (500 ABs). Saying health is a red flag for this guy would be the understatement of the century, but even with that taken into account, both redraft and dynasty owners should be excited. That Yankess lineup is ridiculous and he would be a nice left handed bat to add in the middle. This guy has the power pedigree and that home stadium is built for him. He could easily hit 25+ homers, with plenty of counting stats, should he return here toward the end of the month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Saucy said:

Fair.

I’ll add that the Yankees have been high on Bird for some time and he was set for Didi’s spot between the two big righties in the lineup. Obviously that may change on his return if Didi stays hot but if he does take that spot, he’ll see a lot of pitches and could score a lot of runs. 

11 hours ago, Mikewastaken said:

2-for-4 with a HR and 2 RBI tonight in extended ST.

Missed this yesterday 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 5/8/2018 at 4:11 PM, Saucy said:

Can you say small sample size?  .283 career average in the minors.  Came up at 22 years old and hit .261/.343/.529   Last year his numbers were tarnished by him playing hurt for the first month.  He was injured in ST but attempted to play though it.    He was noticeably hurt during that first month of 2017 as people who watched his games noticed he could barely run.  

From April 2nd to May 1st, he hit .100/.250/.200   He was put on the DL, wasn't getting better and then finally got surgery on his foot.  
After he returned he hit .253/.316/.575 from Aug. 26th to Oct. 1st to finish the regular season.  Followed that by hitting .250/.421/.500 in the playoffs.  

He has a great batting eye + great power.  Tremendous potential if he can just stay healthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2018 at 4:11 PM, Saucy said:

you must be new here

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

He stole a base yesterday! Even better news than a HR. 

From dicks sporting goods?

• Haha 2

In all seriousness, would love to know the circumstances of Bird stealing a base.  Was he trying to show he is healthy or was it just a very obvious situation. 

On 5/8/2018 at 1:11 PM, Saucy said:

I'll take the over on .227

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Can you say small sample size?  .283 career average in the minors.  Came up at 22 years old and hit .261/.343/.529   Last year his numbers were tarnished by him playing hurt for the first month.  He was injured in ST but attempted to play though it.    He was noticeably hurt during that first month of 2017 as people who watched his games noticed he could barely run.  

From April 2nd to May 1st, he hit .100/.250/.200   He was put on the DL, wasn't getting better and then finally got surgery on his foot.  
After he returned he hit .253/.316/.575 from Aug. 26th to Oct. 1st to finish the regular season.  Followed that by hitting .250/.421/.500 in the playoffs.  

He has a great batting eye + great power.  Tremendous potential if he can just stay healthy.

Good post, couldn't have said it better myself.

Only thing I would add is some context in that he's a LH hitter in Yankee stadium, which is a wonderful situation.  The RBI/Run potential is also elite in that lineup.

Everything needs to click, but I've been holding on to that dream for a while....

tumblr_mfdy2vdgU41rujpd6o1_500.gif

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

In all seriousness, would love to know the circumstances of Bird stealing a base.  Was he trying to show he is healthy or was it just a very obvious situation. 

I'm happy with it under any circumstance honestly lol