jfazz23

Greg Bird 2018 Outlook

50 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Which one of these scenarios is most likely?

A- He hits .200

B- He's back on the DL by the ASB

C- He hits 30 homers ROS

Since I have him in 2 dynasties and a bunch of other leagues, I am hoping for C. But my gut say A or B is most likely.

I'm usually the most optimistic guy in the world when a player gets called up or comes back from injury. In this case, I think it's gonna be a bumpy ride. He's proved many times that he can hit minor league pitching, but things seem to fall apart in the majors. Add to that the recovery from surgery and only being sporadically active for the last few years, and it seems unlikely that he'll perform well in the first few weeks. He also seems to let frustration play with his head, so he could go through a period where he constantly guesses wrong on good vs. bad pitches.

I hope I'm wrong because I get to watch the Yankees and another power bat would be a whole lotta fun, albeit a little ridiculous at this point. I think he'll hit a fair number of homers, but the average and the K rate will be ugly this year.

1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

A- He hits .200

C- He hits 30 homers ROS

Since I have him in 2 dynasties and a bunch of other leagues, I am hoping for C. But my gut say A or B is most likely.

All of the above?

• Like 1

If he just stays healthy and hits .250 , the rest will take care of itself and I’d be happy. Just stay on the field, Greg!  

2 hours ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

A- He hits .200

C- He hits 30 homers ROS

Love the Yankees but I came to believe Greg Bird cannot be trusted...

One thing the dude is an OBP he sure knows how to get on first via the walk .... 

my pick is B

Technically Bird is not on a minor league team right now. However he is still on the DL list. So unless the Yanks make a move today Bird's return will be later this weekend. Judge Stanton Sanchez are all righthanders and I think Bird the lefty will slot in between 2 of them. I have him active today only because Iglesias took his DL spot and Arcia took his place in the minor leagues.

The optimistic view of Bird is that he hasn't really had THAT many injuries. Only two. One of which has been dragged out. He had a shoulder injury which has been fixed and then destroyed his foot on a foul ball which is really just bad luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyMcPot said:

The optimistic view of Bird is that he hasn't really had THAT many injuries. Only two. One of which has been dragged out. He had a shoulder injury which has been fixed and then destroyed his foot on a foul ball which is really just bad luck.

It was two separate foul ball injuries last year.  With a setback on the bone growth. 

5 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

It was two separate foul ball injuries last year.  With a setback on the bone growth. 

Was it really? I don't remember it happening twice. Just bad luck either way. 

3 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

Technically Bird is not on a minor league team right now. However he is still on the DL list. So unless the Yanks make a move today Bird's return will be later this weekend. Judge Stanton Sanchez are all righthanders and I think Bird the lefty will slot in between 2 of them. I have him active today only because Iglesias took his DL spot and Arcia took his place in the minor leagues.

They're activating him tomorrow. 

I wouldn't be shocked if he got hurt again, but I think a lot of people just look at this recent injury as a new injury in long line of them, but really it was a normal  side effect from the surgery he had last year.

Greg Bird analysis is funny.  He gets a lot of hate because he was a hyped Yankee who hasn't led to expectations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Greg Bird analysis is funny.  He gets a lot of hate because he was a hyped Yankee who hasn't led to expectations.

The irony is that with Judge, Sanchez, Torres and all good young players the Yankees have the fans don't even seem to really care all that much about Bird.

He's a much bigger topic in fantasy circles.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PPolanco said:

Platoon with Tyler Austin though?

If it's not with Austin then it's with Walker. It doesn't matter, the Yankees are stacked everywhere, they'll let him sit whenever because they have the luxury to do so. 

43 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

If it's not with Austin then it's with Walker. It doesn't matter, the Yankees are stacked everywhere, they'll let him sit whenever because they have the luxury to do so. 

29 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Yeah, will probably platoon with Austin to begin with.

I believe Austin got sent down 

14 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Na, he's in the lineup today. He could get sent down but it sounds like they want him to stick around. Makes sense not to fully hand over the keys to Bird from the jump. 

https://www.newsday.com/amp/sports/baseball/yankees/greg-bird-closer-to-return-but-aaron-boone-sees-role-for-tyler-austin-1.18684196?__twitter_impression=true

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yea I think they're sending Austin down too. No way they DFA Walker or Torreyes. Austin is the only one with options left(of the three), I think. 

Going to hit .210, couple of homers, walk

a bit.  He will basically be Paul Goldschmidt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To those of us who never give up. 

Jim-Valvano-ESPYs-1.jpg

Go get em, Greg. We believe! 

(I’ve been on this train too long to give up now. ;) )

• Like 2

Not really sure the need to platoon Bird. He's generally hit lefties just fine (admittedly he hasn't had a ton of plate appearances due to injuries)

Anxious to see how his lower half works tonight . . . 

Godspeed Birdman :twothumbsup:

• Like 1