Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfazz23

Greg Bird 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Not really sure the need to platoon Bird. He's generally hit lefties just fine (admittedly he hasn't had a ton of plate appearances due to injuries)

I definitely don't think they NEED to. But I'm worried they will with how successful Austin has been against them.

I love that Austin has options. 

Edit: I believe Neil Walker is more of a threat to Andujar at 3B

1 hour ago, STLSU said:

Anxious to see how his lower half works tonight . . . 

Godspeed Birdman :twothumbsup:

has it been confirmed The Word is starting tonight?

Yankees optioned INF Ronald Torreyes to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

The 25-year-old has been extremely productive for the Yankees this season, slashing .339/.349/.435 with six RBI in 63 plate appearances. He'll get another chance with the big league club later this summer

30 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Yankees optioned INF Ronald Torreyes to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

The 25-year-old has been extremely productive for the Yankees this season, slashing .339/.349/.435 with six RBI in 63 plate appearances. He'll get another chance with the big league club later this summer

odd, who is the back up shortstop now?

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

Torres?? Such a puzzling move. They were not going to option an rp because of the 20 plus games straight they play. I am really surprised Austin didn't go down. 

8 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Torres?? Such a puzzling move. They were not going to option an rp because of the 20 plus games straight they play. I am really surprised Austin didn't go down. 

Austin will be facing lefties at 1B

43 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Gleyber and Walker can play 2nd

I think this move shows that Austin is still going to be given time at 1B. I don’t think the Yankees will quickly give Bird full time duty until he proves he’s fully back. There’s an obvious injury risk due to how little he’s played last few season so I expect them to ease him in slowly. 

48 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

I think this move shows that Austin is still going to be given time at 1B. I don’t think the Yankees will quickly give Bird full time duty until he proves he’s fully back. There’s an obvious injury risk due to how little he’s played last few season so I expect them to ease him in slowly. 

I agree w this. But, if Bird hits, things will quickly work themselves out. 

10 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

I could eventually see a regular lineup of...

Gleyber / Gardner

Judge

Didi

Stanton

Sanchez

Bird

Hicks

Andujar

Gleyber / Gardner

And if Bird really excelled then I could see...

Gleyber / Gardner

Judge

Bird

Stanton

Sanchez

Didi

Hicks

Andujar

Gleyber / Gardner

He'd really have to earn that, but the potential for him to hit 3rd in the lineup is definutely there if he can maintain a good OBP%. He's the only left-handed hitter the Yankees can break up their right-handed power bats with besides Didi.

How does he do against pitchers like barria?

5 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

How does he do against pitchers like barria?

Probably similar to how he does against Barria today.

Anyone want to guess what the over\under is on Bird's next major injury?  1 week, 10 days, 1 month lol?  Nick Johnson 2.0.  Missed all of 2016.  Played 48 games last year.  Missed most of the first 2 months this year.  Has not played more than 48 games without getting hurt in his MLB career.

23 hours ago, chud12 said:

when?   Yanks are off both the 7th and the 11th.   The yankees don't play 20 straight days the rest of the season

3 minutes ago, rich22 said:

when?   Yanks are off both the 7th and the 11th

Oh, hmmm I guess they got through that guantlet already. 

9 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Hitting cleanup today with Stanton sitting. Let’s hope he can get something going.

Against verlander?

Hard pass

59 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Against verlander?

Hard pass

I won't be starting him against Verlander,  but it's nice that he's getting the nod of confidence from Boone.  Hitting cleanup in the top ranked offense in the majors is pretty nice for what was a lottery ticket draft/FA pick-up for most owners.

9 minutes ago, HesSoTaguchi said:

I won't be starting him against Verlander,  but it's nice that he's getting the nod of confidence from Boone.  Hitting cleanup in the top ranked offense in the majors is pretty nice for what was a lottery ticket draft/FA pick-up for most owners.

Stanton is our today so maybe he bats 5th the ros?? Anyway I will prob be benching Bird through the entire series against Houston, Morton and Dallas up next after Verly today.