Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfazz23

Greg Bird 2018 Outlook

15 minutes ago, HesSoTaguchi said:

I won't be starting him against Verlander,  but it's nice that he's getting the nod of confidence from Boone.  Hitting cleanup in the top ranked offense in the majors is pretty nice for what was a lottery ticket draft/FA pick-up for most owners.

This.  Even the best fantasy baseball players/analysts are ultimately much less informed on players than the teams themselves.  They've got one of the most potent offenses in the league yet they're showing a lot of trust in Bird. Clearly they see something they like.  

I'd be nervous relying on him as a starter in standard sized leagues right now, but IMO he's an excellent high upside lottery pick to pair him an high floor player like Jose Martinez/Eric Hosmer.

48 minutes ago, HesSoTaguchi said:

I won't be starting him against Verlander,  but it's nice that he's getting the nod of confidence from Boone.  Hitting cleanup in the top ranked offense in the majors is pretty nice for what was a lottery ticket draft/FA pick-up for most owners.

I haven't activated him from the Dl yet, really nice to see him batting cleanup today but, in daily leagues you might have a better option since he's going up against one of the best pitchers in the game right now.

I'll be stoked if he goes yard on JV even if on my bench.

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I haven't activated him from the Dl yet, really nice to see him batting cleanup today but, in daily leagues you might have a better option since he's going up against one of the best pitchers in the game right now.

I'll be stoked if he goes yard on JV even if on my bench.

Be stoked 

4 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Is he worth a speculative add?

If he's still available - you might have missed your chance already. Yes pick him up 

21 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

Ok course...until he gets hurt again.  Which if history is a guide over the past 3 or so years, should come within the next roughly 1.5 months lol.  No one doubts his talent, just his durability....man is made of glass.

Batting 3rd with Stanton back. Looks like the 3spot is his as long as he’s respectable 

Extremely impressive GB!

JV may not be the best, but if I was managing a team that had a must win game and could only pick one pitcher to get straight zeroes, I must give a slight nod to JV (I love Klubes etal but this being like a "deserted island/Survivor opinion).  Funny that so many teams passed on him last deadline.

It begins. Bird hitting 3rd. 

14 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Ok course...until he gets hurt again.  Which if history is a guide over the past 3 or so years, should come within the next roughly 1.5 months lol.  No one doubts his talent, just his durability....man is made of glass.

The ankles ought to hold up this year one would think.  Probably good to rotate him through the DH spot with Stanton and whomever to keep him nimble.

8 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Batting 3rd with Stanton back. Looks like the 3spot is his as long as he’s respectable 

Raging boner seeing him bat third between those guys

It's not lasting too many hours because Charlie Morton is pretty legit. Who would have thought.

Anyway, he's in my lineup today. Sorry for the 0-4 in advance fam

8 minutes ago, STLSU said:

The ankles ought to hold up this year one would think.  Probably good to rotate him through the DH spot with Stanton and whomever to keep him nimble.

Until something else goes.  His history since being called up is extreme brittleness, hence the references here in NY to Nick Johnson 2.0.  I hope he does turn that around and play well the rest of the year, but from a fantasy perspective, the proper approach is play him while healthy and hope for the best but do not be surprised when he gets hurt again with a debilitating hang nail or paper cut lol.  They are more likely to swap him in and out with Tyler Austin and Neil Walker at this point. 

3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Raging boner seeing him bat third between those guys

It's not lasting too many hours because Charlie Morton is pretty legit. Who would have thought.

Anyway, he's in my lineup today. Sorry for the 0-4 in advance fam

I thought that yesterday with Verlsndrr pitching but here we are. Hoping Morton makes a mistake and Bird capitalizes again. 

The guy gets hurt. He also costs you nothing. He hits HR when he plays. He’s batting in the 3 hole for the Yankees.

Next question...

48 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Until something else goes.  His history since being called up is extreme brittleness, hence the references here in NY to Nick Johnson 2.0.  I hope he does turn that around and play well the rest of the year, but from a fantasy perspective, the proper approach is play him while healthy and hope for the best but do not be surprised when he gets hurt again with a debilitating hang nail or paper cut lol.  They are more likely to swap him in and out with Tyler Austin and Neil Walker at this point. 

1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

I vaguely remember me saying he would be hitting 3rd...hmm

The Birdman is back baby!!

His big left handed BAT in the lineup is huge.

This offense is well on the way to setting all kinds of records.