Judge

Bird

Stanton

Sanchez

Didi

Hicks

Andujar

Gleyber / Gardner

He'd have to earn that, but the potential for him to hit 3rd in the lineup is definutely there if he can maintain a good OBP%. He's the only left-handed hitter the Yankees can break up their right-handed power bats with besides Didi.

Tonight's lineup:

Gardner

Judge

Bird

Stanton

Sanchez

Didi

Hicks

Andujar

Gleyber

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

Tonight's lineup:

Gardner

Judge

Bird

Stanton

Sanchez

Didi

Hicks

Andujar

Gleyber

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

Had 2 at-bats taken away from him from awful calls. If you guys don't want to take a shot on the Yanks 3rd spot, lofty-swinging, power upside lefty, then drop him fools! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

You do know Greg Bird is a career .229 hitter .... 

It's been a brief career so far, and he played through injuries last year that put a damper on his stats. But I don't believe those numbers are reflective of his true ability as a hitter when healthy.

Going back to what I said in this thread a few months ago...

"His entire 2017 season was derailed by the injury, including when he played... until September of course, when he finally got back in a rhythm. He hit .260/.314/.623 in his last 25 regular season games and followed that up with a .250/.421/500 performance in 14 postseason. And lest we forget his .453/.556/1.098 line in 23 Spring Training games!"

The Yankees themselves know what they have in Bird, which is why they good about him hitting 3rd in such a stacked lineup.

Obviously, health will be an issue for Bird until he proves otherwise, but as long as he's healthy you're looking at a professional hitter who is going to have a lot of homers and great run production in the middle of the Yankees lineup. The batting average may not be anything special but it should be fine.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shakestreet said:

In 350 AB. That’s not enough...

2 minutes ago, jh83 said:

OUT of the lineup today.

austin vs lefty dallas keuchel

Bird is very fragile so Yankees will rest him when there's an opportunity.  Important to keep Bird healthy.  Austin has also crushed LHP so he gets the start tonight which makes perfect sense.

Yeah this’ll be the split, and it’ll likely help both. Weekly leaguers will have to keep an eye on it, but otherwise not a big deal.

That said, Yanks due for at least 7 straight RHP after today, including a doubleheader against DET. Giddy up!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, shakestreet said:

4 hours ago, Stickfig13 said:

In 350 AB. That’s not enough...

910 before it means anything.  And that's with multiple injuries in there to interrupt them.  

His swing is a thing of beauty,  sell him short at your own risk

• Thanks 1

Austin 0-3 with 3 Ks. Guy is lost this month. Bird gives them way more of a quality at-bat. I don't think he's long for the majors. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

Make that 4 Ks for Austin 

Without regular ABs, I suspect you will see Austin in AAA and Torreyes recalled fairly shortly.  His K rate is high to start with and getting in a groove when you play only once or twice a week is going to be tough for a hitter like that imo.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

Austin 0-3 with 3 Ks. Guy is lost this month. Bird gives them way more of a quality at-bat. I don't think he's long for the majors. 

bird will be starting vs most lefties soon enough.

• Like 1

Just now, Dirty Little Birdie said:

yahoo has him listed as on the dl? what goes on?

Force of habit I guess?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/29/2018 at 10:34 PM, shakestreet said:

On 5/29/2018 at 11:06 PM, ReyesMurphyWright said:

It's been a brief career so far, and he played through injuries last year that put a damper on his stats. But I don't believe those numbers are reflective of his true ability as a hitter when healthy.

Going back to what I said in this thread a few months ago...

"His entire 2017 season was derailed by the injury, including when he played... until September of course, when he finally got back in a rhythm. He hit .260/.314/.623 in his last 25 regular season games and followed that up with a .250/.421/500 performance in 14 postseason. And lest we forget his .453/.556/1.098 line in 23 Spring Training games!"

The Yankees themselves know what they have in Bird, which is why they good about him hitting 3rd in such a stacked lineup.

Obviously, health will be an issue for Bird until he proves otherwise, but as long as he's healthy you're looking at a professional hitter who is going to have a lot of homers and great run production in the middle of the Yankees lineup. The batting average may not be anything special but it should be fine.

On 5/30/2018 at 8:26 PM, WahooManiac said:

910 before it means anything.  And that's with multiple injuries in there to interrupt them.  

His swing is a thing of beauty,  sell him short at your own risk

the relevant point here isn’t that Bird has proven bad, the relevant point here is that Bird hasn’t exactly proven good. Not for the hype, expectations, and praise heaped upon him. 

Im adding anywhere I can and did have a stash, but I think there needs to be more realism about what Bird has proven to date in his MLB career. He has not proven to be “a professional hitter” as referenced above. He has not proven to be a hitter that should have some highly sustainable floor. He is a player with an immense sealing and an opportunity to be a game breaker in power, but this is a ceiling play that shouldn’t shock anyone if he was just not as good. 

The postseason play is about the best evidence we have. And if it too him a while to acclimate that shouldn’t shock anyone either. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Sitting game 2 for 3-4 Austin strikeouts 

figures 

Meh. I'm okay with it. He's coming back from injury and he's Greg Bird. I expect them to take it slow and giving him off for the 2nd game of a doubleheader is reasonable to me.