Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfazz23

Greg Bird 2018 Outlook

The guy plays 1B and takes 4-5 AB a day. I understand the injury concerns, but come on....

If he’s gonna hit .250 and play 4 day’s a week I’m not sure he’s gonna be as valuable. 

They're being very careful with him to begin with and rightly so. He may not be as valuable to your fantasy team right now but he's extremely valuable to the Yankees. 

So when do we expect a guy hitting between the best power hitters in the game to get some counting stats? 

34 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

So when do we expect a guy hitting between the best power hitters in the game to get some counting stats? 

Patience my young padawan 

5 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Patience my young padawan 

cmon man. you can totally judge someone by just a week of play

(/sarcasm)

Since bird came back, judge has gone on a strikeout binge and has barely been on base, Stanton and Sanchez behind him haven’t exactly been burning it up either. Hard to get counting stats that way. Patiece will be key.

Just now, motown magic said:

Hmmm 

i seem to remember Judge being on at least four bases last night 

& Stanton had the hardest hit homer of the season too

1 minute ago, motown magic said:

Hmmm 

i seem to remember Judge being on at least four bases last night 

How does judge hitting a hr in front of him help birds counting stats?  Smh

3 minutes ago, octapuss said:

Wish this lad would warm up.

You gotta wonder how long he hits in the conveted 3 hole in that Yankee lineup. I’m certain they don’t want a guy hitting a .100 there. 

Owning this guy on a fantasy team is like owning natural erosion.  He’ll make a big wave that’s fun occasionally but mostly it’s small dull ripples.  Before you know it he’s been batting .180 for a month and your sand castle has been washed out to sea.

Even as a Yankees fan, I've never believed in him. He has a very long swing and often goes through long ruts with his timing where he struggles to make contact. I can't see him hitting over .240. 

8 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Even as a Yankees fan, I've never believed in him. He has a very long swing and often goes through long ruts with his timing where he struggles to make contact. I can't see him hitting over .240. 

I'm with you. I've been trying to sell him since this offseason, but no one is biting. 

Long swing. 35+ homer power, but outside of a few white-hot streaks it seems like he goes 0-4 or 1-4 every game. 

Someone dropped him in one of my 12-team leagues and somehow passed the waiver.. Just picked him up. I think he will do much better in Yankee Stadium and this week has been on a road trip.. I remember he hit a bomb at home against Verlander in his second or third game back this season. 

Maybe I am wrong but at least I got him for free and hey he is hitting 3rd in between Judge and Stanton 

On 5/30/2018 at 8:26 PM, WahooManiac said:

His swing is a thing of beauty,  sell him short at your own risk

what a beuuutiful swing

Tough situation and it seems to happen every year with a few guys.  Situation is too good to drop him, but production is so bad you can't start him.  Just gotta give it time and wait for the ship to right itself (or in Bird's case, just wait for the season ending injury).

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

what a beuuutiful swing

Still stand by it.  He's obv got some rust to shake off,  but from a pure swinging standpoint he's great.  

Now we'll see if you pull your typical routine and disappear the minute he starts having success.  For years impatient snark is about all you've ever brought to the table,  in any thread.  

Batting below mendoza line... hopefully this doesnt last...

I've actually always thought his swing his is slow and long to the ball. It's pretty when it connects but unfortunately that's been far and in between for years now. I'm not optimistic. 

The Yankees have started giving Brandon Drury some reps at 1B down in AAA (where he's been raking). I wouldn't be surprised if they're starting to get impatient with Bird themselves.

Mercifully dropped in the batting order to the 7th spot tonight finally. 

Its funny to think that out of yankee lineup.... their 1B is worst hitter.

Bird’s results on 4-seam and quality heat continue to concern me. It was present in his last small sample and it’s present through his first few games back this time. Could just be getting warmed up and getting his timing down, but for a “new player” still, to me he needs to prove things and check boxes. He’s hasn’t proven poor in this regard but he’s failed to prove himself adequate. 

His HR today was an 89 mph at the letters. Bird will destroy mistakes, but he has to do better and prove himself more to me against quality pitching.