Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfazz23

Greg Bird 2018 Outlook

4 minutes ago, taobball said:

Bird’s results on 4-seam and quality heat continue to concern me. It was present in his last small sample and it’s present through his first few games back this time. Could just be getting warmed up and getting his timing down, but for a “new player” still, to me he needs to prove things and check boxes. He’s hasn’t proven poor in this regard but he’s failed to prove himself adequate. 

His HR today was an 89 mph at the letters. Bird will destroy mistakes, but he has to do better and prove himself more to me against quality pitching. 

like andrew miller?

24 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

like andrew miller?

More like above average pitchers over a sample that matters. 

the reason that I was out on Bird in the off-season even before he got hurt again was that I felt like most of his value was just hitting in the NYY lineup. But honestly I think he could certainly end up being a player that if we were to evaluate his skills in a "vacuum" so to speak it would indicate a guy whose profile is fairly unimpressive. Basically I felt you were paying a Yankee tax for a guy who to date really hasnt shown a whole lot in terms of sustained success at the big league level- hes had his moments for sure but theres absolutely some things that are concerning too.  just judging strictly by the very early returns he still has a lot of proving to do. But to be fair we're only 60 abs in to what is presumably his first time fully healthy in ~2 yrs so we'll get a chance to see what he can do in a more appreciable sample. 

26 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

the reason that I was out on Bird in the off-season even before he got hurt again was that I felt like most of his value was just hitting in the NYY lineup. But honestly I think he could certainly end up being a player that if we were to evaluate his skills in a "vacuum" so to speak it would indicate a guy whose profile is fairly unimpressive. Basically I felt you were paying a Yankee tax for a guy who to date really hasnt shown a whole lot in terms of sustained success at the big league level- hes had his moments for sure but theres absolutely some things that are concerning too.  just judging strictly by the very early returns he still has a lot of proving to do. But to be fair we're only 60 abs in to what is presumably his first time fully healthy in ~2 yrs so we'll get a chance to see what he can do in a more appreciable sample. 

And the fact of the matter is that Yankee tax is there with good reason. The upside, in this line-up and park, is absolutely tremendous. I think Matt Olson's about to go on a bit of a Spree and he has to deal with O.Co. Bird gets adopted into an incredible situation that really couldn't be much better. Yankee does increase the upside (presumably) and should increase the price. But he still has to prove himself an actual consistent baseball player. Just an extremely high variable player 

1 hour ago, taobball said:

And the fact of the matter is that Yankee tax is there with good reason. The upside, in this line-up and park, is absolutely tremendous. I think Matt Olson's about to go on a bit of a Spree and he has to deal with O.Co. Bird gets adopted into an incredible situation that really couldn't be much better. Yankee does increase the upside (presumably) and should increase the price. But he still has to prove himself an actual consistent baseball player. Just an extremely high variable player 

Agree on all points- and for me in the end I just felt like at his adp (I think it was around 150 or so before he got hurt) I  just didn't really have a good enough idea of what his true talent level is. The upside was undeniable but I just felt like the floor was too low at that price. 

double off the wall to left center

hes getting hsi walks and extra base hits.  i think hes finding his swing and hes a good buy low still.

think his K% will come down some.  just my opinion.

27 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

double off the wall to left center

hes getting hsi walks and extra base hits.  i think hes finding his swing and hes a good buy low still.

think his K% will come down some.  just my opinion.

Still being made a mess of v 4-seam. 

I see Bird is still worst hitter on the Yankees....

75 at bats, 5 RBI.... on this team.... thats hard to f do. batting around mendoza lines.

8 hours ago, DJSatane said:

I see Bird is still worst hitter on the Yankees....

75 at bats, 5 RBI.... on this team.... thats hard to f do. batting around mendoza lines.

With Men on Base: .077( 2-for-26), 0 HR, 2 RBI, 29,0 K%, 64,7 GB%, 13 wRC+

With RISP: .053 (1-for-19), 0 HR, 2 RBI, 31,8 K%, 66,7 GB%, -4 wRC+

Mercy….

He won't be long for the Yankees roster. They've got better options. Provided health prevails elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, k.k. said:

He won't be long for the Yankees roster. They've got better options. Provided health prevails elsewhere.

like who? tyler austin?

7 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

like who? tyler austin?

No idea if at all possible, but it would be good to get them set up with Andujar at 1B, or Stanton or Judge if at all possible. No clue whether the latter two have any minor league experience at all. Andujar has however. I drafted Bird in a few leagues this year, almost reluctantly. Don't feel like he's going to pan out. Gut feeling. That's all I'm saying.

My gut feeling is that Cashman will have seen how the Red Sox hung with Devers and how that appears to be working out for them, and continue to stick with Bird until he starts materially costing them games. I think Cashman is rightfully very proud of how his prospects have fared, wants to see them come good, and the success of Judge, Andujar and Torres will have bought Bird quite a bit of time to get it together.

50 minutes ago, k.k. said:

No idea if at all possible, but it would be good to get them set up with Andujar at 1B, or Stanton or Judge if at all possible. No clue whether the latter two have any minor league experience at all. Andujar has however. I drafted Bird in a few leagues this year, almost reluctantly. Don't feel like he's going to pan out. Gut feeling. That's all I'm saying.

Stanton / Judge got shot down in the spring by the Yankees beat writers (it was brought up due to the OF logjam and the lack of 1B depth)

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

like who? tyler austin?

You say "like who?" as if, again, it is a guaranteed fact that Bird at one point will be successful. If Bird's a .200 hitter.... or just not that good... well... like a ton of effing people. 

I agree they should gvie him more time. But I also agree that their should be a leash on a highly competitive team and they do have guys they can move around the infield. First Base is afterall the easiest physically demanding defensive position for all intents and purposes, so defensive value isnt much of a factor. 

Drury has started playing 1B multiple times a week in AAA. I think that decision was made as a way to create an insurance policy in case Bird doesn't figure it out. 

I think the Yankees are going to have a little less patience for him sucking that most think.  They're being pushed by the Red Sox.  The could win 107 games, lose the division, and be treated to a one game playoff against James Paxton or Mike Trout... or god forbid Justin Verlander if injuries hit the Stros.  

2 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

The could win 107 games, lose the division, and be treated to a one game playoff against James Paxton or Mike Trout... or god forbid Justin Verlander if injuries hit the Stros.  

Just the implication for this is so utterly insane. 

Also seconded the Drury. I think Drury could step on teh field and outproduce Bird pretty fast. 

21 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Drury has started playing 1B multiple times a week in AAA. I think that decision was made as a way to create an insurance policy in case Bird doesn't figure it out. 

What I would like the Yankees to do move Greg (SWEET SWING) Bird to the minors (if he has options left) bring up Drury. 

Playing multiple times a week? I see he played and started 2 games at 1B 

8 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

What I would like the Yankees to do move Greg (SWEET SWING) Bird to the minors (if he has options left) bring up Drury. 

Playing multiple times a week? I see he played and started 2 games at 1B 

They said he'd be playing there twice a week going forward (this was last week).

34 minutes ago, taobball said:

You say "like who?" as if, again, it is a guaranteed fact that Bird at one point will be successful. If Bird's a .200 hitter.... or just not that good... well... like a ton of effing people. 

I agree they should gvie him more time. But I also agree that their should be a leash on a highly competitive team and they do have guys they can move around the infield. First Base is afterall the easiest physically demanding defensive position for all intents and purposes, so defensive value isnt much of a factor. 

watching the yankees nearly everyday, and listening to NY sports radio, i will tell you right now cashman(and scouts) love bird.  his leash will be long...like entire season long

you may disagree but my  "like who?" question is valid. fans tend to be reactionary and dont think things through.    Who are they replacing him with?  this is a guy who missed a lot of baseball in the last 3 years and was successful in both the playoffs last year and the regular season in 2015.

he may well turn into a 200 hitter with 20 homer power...but hes gonna be given a very long leash.

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

watching the yankees nearly everyday, and listening to NY sports radio, i will tell you right now cashman(and scouts) love bird.  his leash will be long...like entire season long

you may disagree but my  "like who?" question is valid. fans tend to be reactionary and dont think things through.    Who are they replacing him with?  this is a guy who missed a lot of baseball in the last 3 years and was successful in both the playoffs last year and the regular season in 2015.

he may well turn into a 200 hitter with 20 homer power...but hes gonna be given a very long leash.

To quote Mike Tyson, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." 

As long as they're in good shape to win the division I'm sure he'll be given tons of leash. If he's sucking for a month plus, the Red Sox are on their heels, and they have an alternative who is hitting? They won't cut Bird, trade him, or send him down, but they'll definitely start 'resting' him a lot more. 

6 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

To quote Mike Tyson, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." 

As long as they're in good shape to win the division I'm sure he'll be given tons of leash. If he's sucking for a month plus, the Red Sox are on their heels, and they have an alternative who is hitting? They won't cut Bird, trade him, or send him down, but they'll definitely start 'resting' him a lot more. 

if they are going to do that id rather have him in AAA.  i just dont know who they are replacing him with.  someone mentioned Drury which might be the best option along with neil walker.

but i dont think it happens until at least all  star break. and if hes hitting even moderately it probably wont happen at all.

when cashman likes someone he tends to stick with them as long as possible.

11 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

when cashman likes someone he tends to stick with them as long as possible.

To be fair though, how many years has the AL East been *this* competitive to where, as mentioned above, there's a decent liklihood we see like a 101 win team have to play Trout in a play-in game for a chance at a series against the Astros or Indians. If this was 1 Wild Card baseball, I'd be more inclined to agree. But the Yankees and the Red Sox both do NOT want to play in that play-in game.