Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfazz23

Greg Bird 2018 Outlook

12 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

if they are going to do that id rather have him in AAA.  i just dont know who they are replacing him with.  someone mentioned Drury which might be the best option along with neil walker.

but i dont think it happens until at least all  star break. and if hes hitting even moderately it probably wont happen at all.

when cashman likes someone he tends to stick with them as long as possible.

I agree with this. He's only been back for 20 or so games. He's been pretty bad in that time, but there isn't a clear replacement and that's not really long enough to push you from however you were feeling going in. He's rightfully got more leash. He doesn't need to be the next Nimmo, but if he's still sniffing the Mendoza line in another couple weeks, the Yankees will probably be forced to find a replacement. 

Here's more on the fastball troubles tao and others have been discussing:  http://riveraveblues.com/2018/06/greg-bird-trouble-fastballs-since-returning-disabled-list-173206/

The Yankees FO absolutely loves Greg Bird.  They are on record as saying they've believed for years that Bird was the best hitter among he, Judge, and Sanchez. They still believe that today.  IMO they rushed him back.  The kid has been hurt for the last year plus and has missed crucial development time in the process.  What he really needs is a 2-4 week stay in the minors where he can work on his swing, and gain some confidence.   This would be best for his development, and for the Yankees long term imo.

1 minute ago, dicka24 said:

The Yankees FO absolutely loves Greg Bird.  They are on record as saying they've believed for years that Bird was the best hitter among he, Judge, and Sanchez. They still believe that today.  IMO they rushed him back.  The kid has been hurt for the last year plus and has missed crucial development time in the process.  What he really needs is a 2-4 week stay in the minors where he can work on his swing, and gain some confidence.   This would be best for his development, and for the Yankees long term imo.

Thought i read that wrong. Better hitter than Judge?

8 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Cashman originally said that about 2 years ago. Before Judge broke out. 

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

Ah, i see.

Well that would be 1 hell of a shocker if that happened.

Judges bat speed looks light years ahead of Birds.

2 hours ago, dicka24 said:

Love only goes so far ... and then Love Hurts

Teams like Yankees dont care about love, they care about results. Bird is lucky yankees are such a powerhouse this year, otherwise he be smoked already to the minors.

I mean his peripherals still look good

His hard hit % is over 40, and soft hit % only around 5%. That is extremely low. So he makes strong contact. But how often does he make contact? That also is actually quite good, only a 10% swgStr with an overall respectable 78% contract rate. For comparison Judge makes contact 66% while Torres 69%.

So he is making contact of plenty quality and quantity, but is batting just .205. I think he has been unlucky and a 'breakout' is still in play

2 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

His hard hit % is over 40, and soft hit % only around 5%. That is extremely low. So he makes strong contact. But how often does he make contact? That also is actually quite good, only a 10% swgStr with an overall respectable 78% contract rate. For comparison Judge makes contact 66% while Torres 69%.

So he is making contact of plenty quality and quantity, but is batting just .205. I think he has been unlucky and a 'breakout' is still in play

"The peripherals" is in my fantasy curse-word dictionary that I'll release someday. Right up their with "regression" as my least favorite terms. 

His hard% does look great, I'll grant you that. Plenty of other things do not. For example, I would much rather have an even batted ball distribution Pull/Cent/Oppo with a worse Hard/Soft then I would Bird's great Hard% but his aggressively high Pull% and terrible Oppo%. 

My views on Bird are "peripheral." Those are just a couple metrics that Bird does excel at. 

6 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

wow.

i did not have these numbers but ive been watching the games and he IS hitting the ball hard...

thanks!

5 hours ago, dicka24 said:

Fake news 

Sweet swing Greg Bird can’t hit... fact 

18 hours ago, terminator10 said:

You're not looking at all the peripherals. Why not mention his career low LD% and his career high GB%?

And he's not being unlucky. According to Baseball Savant his xBA is .204.

On 6/22/2018 at 4:21 PM, absknicks said:

On 6/22/2018 at 4:12 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Jim Bowden the former GM who is now on Fantasy XM in the mornings, reiterated this a couple of weeks ago after speaking with Cashman at a Yankees game he went to recently.  He and Cashman spoke at the game.

On 6/23/2018 at 5:54 PM, dicka24 said:

Jim Bowden the former GM who is now on Fantasy XM in the mornings, reiterated this a couple of weeks ago after speaking with Cashman at a Yankees game he went to recently.  He and Cashman spoke at the game.

Cashman is also the clown that brought back Nick Johnson after 2009...who subsequently got hurt (shocking) while standing in the on deck circle in spring training lol.  Bird is Nick Johnson 2.0.  Always hurt.  When he isn't hurt, the excuse for his not hitting is the rust.  He hit 190 at the beginning of last season before going down with another injury.  The bet is now whether he starts to hit before he gets hurt again or before the Yanks tired of his act and go with someone else.  You saw some of that today with Neil Walker at 1b, but Walker had a particularly bad game at the plate and got pinch hit for late in the game with Clint Frazier.  Don't be surprised if Drury is up soon playing 1b.

This guy just plain sucks, Greg "The Turd" Bird.

On 6/22/2018 at 4:10 PM, dicka24 said:

The Yankees FO absolutely loves Greg Bird.  They are on record as saying they've believed for years that Bird was the best hitter among he, Judge, and Sanchez. They still believe that today.  IMO they rushed him back.  The kid has been hurt for the last year plus and has missed crucial development time in the process.  What he really needs is a 8-10 week stay in the minors where he can work on his swing, and gain some confidence.   This would be best for his development, and for the Yankees long term imo.

Fixed for ya....

The man needs some work.

Riding the pane, most likely is going to happen more frequently as they try to keep him from sliding further below mendoza line...

21 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

Riding the pane, most likely is going to happen more frequently as they try to keep him from sliding further below mendoza line...

And there’s no reason for it today when the weekend series against Boston is all v LHP. Assuming he has options, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him sent down before that starts.