Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfazz23

Greg Bird 2018 Outlook

bird is the best 1b in the AL

change my mind

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

change my mind

I agree

He should be the starting 1B in the all star game 

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

change my mind

Not really hard.  The best 1B are all in the NL.

Matt Olson probably challenges him though.  

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I agree

He should be the starting 1B in the all star game 

finally some sanity in this thread

giphy.webp

2 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

The best 1B are all in the NL.

Greg Bird plays in the AL dude

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

change my mind

giphy.gif

I haven't followed Bird much over his brief career, but I'm a bit confused with his floor/ceiling. I know he's got a nice power stroke and is barreling better lately, has a great opportunity in the Yanks lineup/park. He carried a half way decent AVG in the minors and his first year with NYY, but not so much since and dealt with some injuries along the way. 

You guys see him as a Gallo type possibly with a better AVG, or maybe somewhat of an Encarnacion if things go right ? 

3 minutes ago, tonywow said:

I haven't followed Bird much over his brief career, but I'm a bit confused with his floor/ceiling. I know he's got a nice power stroke and is barreling better lately, has a great opportunity in the Yanks lineup/park. He carried a half way decent AVG in the minors and his first year with NYY, but not so much since and dealt with some injuries along the way. 

You guys see him as a Gallo type possibly with a better AVG, or maybe somewhat of an Encarnacion if things go right ? 

If those are my only two options,  I'd lean toward the E5 comp.  His swing and miss woes of late are probably pretty overblown just due to the crazy injuries he had.  He's probably not winning a batting average title ever,  but a true talent 260 270 isn't a crazy projection imo. 

3 hours ago, tonywow said:

He's an extreme pull Flyball guy so I'm not sure you can't expect much in the way of BA honestly maybe .230 ? The plate discipline is solid his walk rate has gone up lately 16% the last month which is pretty good and his o-swing is solid too so in OBP leagues he's not bad. 

57 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

He's an extreme pull Flyball guy so I'm not sure you can't expect much in the way of BA honestly maybe .230 ? The plate discipline is solid his walk rate has gone up lately 16% the last month which is pretty good and his o-swing is solid too so in OBP leagues he's not bad. 

i dont think hes as much of a pull hitter as some here believe

6 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

i dont think hes as much of a pull hitter as some here believe

Unless I'm wrong I see him at 55% pull for the year which would lead the league if he qualified. 

On 7/15/2018 at 1:44 PM, einstein2u said:

justin smoak is better.

i think

Yeah Smoak seems to be back on track some recently.

Among younger players I'm liking Guzman some.  He has a quick whip-like stroke and when his body fills out more he could have a nice amount of power.  Maybe more than Bird in a few years.  Or Jake Bauers who may have less power but some decent speed and average mixed in.  I got all three of these guys spread out among my dynasty teams and it will be interesting to see which one of these three ends up the best 1B in the end.  I don't necessarily think Bird will end up the best either.  Time will tell.

Player A: This player is 26 years old, plays in a bandbox of a stadium, and has multiple position eligibility that is not challenged by much competition. He debuted at 24, where he raised eyebrows by going 5 for 14 with 3hr in his cup of coffee. His minor league numbers supported the idea that he'd be a high-AVG with medium to high pop producer, averaging 18 home runs and about .295 while establishing himself as an ironman, garnering 586, 571, and 611 ABs in his 3 minor league seasons. He also proved he could take a walk, with an average .350 OBP. In his first major league season, he belted 24 homers in 586 PA while batting .293 with 78 RBI and 65 runs. This year, an early season knee injury, which occurred when he slammed into a wall making a catch, has thrown him off his game, but despite this he's still managed 12 home runs in the first half to keep that 24hr pace while battling a BABIP that is 92 points lower than last years. 

Player B: This player is 24 years old, plays in a bandbox of a stadium, yet faces pressure to perform based on a number of competitors internally and potentially through trade and in his inability to play off 1B or DH. He debuted at 22 with 11 homers in 178PA, raising eyebrows and expectations. This homer-every-16-PA pace was far off his minors career:  20 in 573, 20 in 556, and 12 in 362. A solid contributor however, his batting average ranged stayed middling, going from .288-.280-.277 from A-AA-AAA. After his miraculous call up, he suffered a major series of foot and shoulder injuries leaving him unable to play at all in 2016. In 170 MLB PAs in 2017, he struggled to a .190 avg with only 3 home runs. Foot issues continued to plague him in 2018 Spring Training, and so far in 2018, he's hit just .214 with 8 home runs. 

Which player with 1B eligibility do you want?  In my AL-only league everyone wants B, and theres no respect for A. 

A is Trey Mancini, B is obviously Bird. 

16 minutes ago, balancedman178 said:
Player A: This player is 26 years old, plays in a bandbox of a stadium, and has multiple position eligibility that is not challenged by much competition. He debuted at 24, where he raised eyebrows by going 5 for 14 with 3hr in his cup of coffee. His minor league numbers supported the idea that he'd be a high-AVG with medium to high pop producer, averaging 18 home runs and about .295 while establishing himself as an ironman, garnering 586, 571, and 611 ABs in his 3 minor league seasons. He also proved he could take a walk, with an average .350 OBP. In his first major league season, he belted 24 homers in 586 PA while batting .293 with 78 RBI and 65 runs. This year, an early season knee injury, which occurred when he slammed into a wall making a catch, has thrown him off his game, but despite this he's still managed 12 home runs in the first half to keep that 24hr pace while battling a BABIP that is 92 points lower than last years. 

Player B: This player is 24 years old, plays in a bandbox of a stadium, yet faces pressure to perform based on a number of competitors internally and potentially through trade and in his inability to play off 1B or DH. He debuted at 22 with 11 homers in 178PA, raising eyebrows and expectations. This homer-every-16-PA pace was far off his minors career:  20 in 573, 20 in 556, and 12 in 362. A solid contributor however, his batting average ranged stayed middling, going from .288-.280-.277 from A-AA-AAA. After his miraculous call up, he suffered a major series of foot and shoulder injuries leaving him unable to play at all in 2016. In 170 MLB PAs in 2017, he struggled to a .190 avg with only 3 home runs. Foot issues continued to plague him in 2018 Spring Training, and so far in 2018, he's hit just .214 with 8 home runs. 

Which player with 1B eligibility do you want?  In my AL-only league everyone wants B, and theres no respect for A. 

A is Trey Mancini, B is obviously Bird. 

Everyone wants Bird over Mancini because Mancini has been hot garbage.

10 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

And Mancinis team is reheated garbage. 

4 hours ago, Bugs bunny said:

Bird has been hot garbage way WAY longer than  Mancini.  Especially since the garbage seems to be related to injuries in both cases and not talent.  Mancini could well be a trade target down the line too.

18 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Bird has been hot garbage way WAY longer than  Mancini.  Especially since the garbage seems to be related to injuries in both cases and not talent.  Mancini could well be a trade target down the line too.

i  mean....not everyone can be as good as mitch mooreland....

Pretty sure this guy is starting to turn things around and he's on the Yankees which is why I'm picking him up 

HRs, RBIs and Doubles, oh my! 

On 6/29/2018 at 9:47 PM, shakestreet said:

Give the guy a week until you start preening like a peacock 

Nice-Video-Peacock-Gif.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=4392525

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

last 30 days 278/365/542./906

another 2 hits yesterday and hes already 1 for 2 today

i want to see him and Didi switch spots again...and have bird in the 3 or 4 spot

it will happen