PhilaFanBoy

Rod Smith 2017 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

Kurt Warner was a grocery stocker and became one of the best QBs of all time.  To think that Rod Smith, who has been continuously playing football, not stocking shelves, does not have the ability to become something of value is completely and utterly laughable.  

 

Get a grip bros. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from competition from the other RB’s, how does this guy differ from Drake in Miami?  Both were backup RB’s on talented college teams.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's mostly important is how the Cowboys feel about him and how he's looked when given the ball this year. He absolutely does not play like a 4.69 "fullback". The stats and limited tape back that up. He's got an elite QB/offensive line and is competing with two competent but over the hill players. Great stash with league-winning potential. Even in a timeshare with Alf it's conceivable Smith carves out solid value in PPR leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a Smith owner but must say the optimism in this thread is really making me chuckle. To call him a team savior and other statements I've seen is a bit much at this point considering literally anything could happen Sunday with these 3 backs. So let's back off a little with these lofty expectations for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

What's mostly important is how the Cowboys feel about him and how he's looked when given the ball this year. He absolutely does not play like a 4.69 "fullback". The stats and limited tape back that up. He's got an elite QB/offensive line and is competing with two competent but over the hill players. Great stash with league-winning potential. Even in a timeshare with Alf it's conceivable Smith carves out solid value in PPR leagues.

 

Nice comment. Interesting that you would consider a backup RB with league-winning potential.  I could swear ive heard this argument before...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Nice comment. Interesting that you would consider a backup RB with league-winning potential.  I could swear ive heard this argument before...

 

Yup.

 

The Crimston Tide's finest himself...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

maxresdefault.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Kenyan Drake!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this guy has done is performed whenever given an opportunity. Can't say that about Alf. All aboard the Smith train here. It'll only take one game for him to establish he is the clearly the best option in this backfield IMO.

Edited by Dirtywater97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This situation/buzz has a Chris Carson feel to me.  Coaches have been talking him up a lot, and coverage-wise he's being discussed more than Alf.  It's possible Alf goes out Sunday and runs for 125 on 6 ypc, but it's no guarantee.  Momentum seems to be behind Smith right now.

Hopefully we get more than a game from him.  If I was forced to bet on an outcome for this backfield, I'd take Smith becoming the lead back by the time Zeke's suspension ends.

Heading in, and this Sunday, Alf is certainly the favorite though.  Beyond that, I think Rod takes over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, the_real_ab said:

Aside from competition from the other RB’s, how does this guy differ from Drake in Miami?  Both were backup RB’s on talented college teams.  

You say they are the same by providing the only thing they have in common because logic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SadFaceHappy said:

This situation/buzz has a Chris Carson feel to me.  Coaches have been talking him up a lot, and coverage-wise he's being discussed more than Alf.  It's possible Alf goes out Sunday and runs for 125 on 6 ypc, but it's no guarantee.  Momentum seems to be behind Smith right now.

Hopefully we get more than a game from him.  If I was forced to bet on an outcome for this backfield, I'd take Smith becoming the lead back by the time Zeke's suspension ends.

Heading in, and this Sunday, Alf is certainly the favorite though.  Beyond that, I think Rod takes over.

 

 

except for the fact that Morris and maybe DMC are better than Lacy/Rawls/Procise,  this is not anything close to the Chris Carson situation.  Carson was the only guy who showed any kind of production in that backfield.  in DAL Morris has already shown he can produce.  i'm not in the Morris camp by any means and i think Smith has a shot to be a contributor.  but this is nothing like the SEA situation at the beginning of the year.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jetdog16 said:

What's mostly important is how the Cowboys feel about him and how he's looked when given the ball this year. He absolutely does not play like a 4.69 "fullback". The stats and limited tape back that up. He's got an elite QB/offensive line and is competing with two competent but over the hill players. Great stash with league-winning potential. Even in a timeshare with Alf it's conceivable Smith carves out solid value in PPR leagues.

Why is he a solid value in PPR leagues?  In what stage of his career has he amassed any amount of targets or shown to be a good pass catcher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone want to take a guess at his numbers this Sunday?

 

5 carries 35 yards, 5 catches 60 yards...one those carries or catches is going to the house!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ozark said:

Someone want to take a guess at his numbers this Sunday?

 

5 carries 35 yards, 5 catches 60 yards...one those carries or catches is going to the house!

 

I hope so.. I have him stashed !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Rod Smith as a lotto ticket. I think we will get a decent idea of what this back field will look like. I can see him getting 10-ish touches unless ALF totally establishes his hold on the job. Could see 6 carries for 30 yards and 4 catches for 45. 

 

I dont know what to think with McFadden. I ca see him active, but not doing much. Should be interesting to see the results of the Dallas game this Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barring an injury, this is going to be a timeshare. What I'm hoping for Rod Smith in the short term is to make it a two man timeshare and secure the bulk of the passing game work. I think that's doable and I think that will make him useful, especially in PPR.

 

Alf is not going away. The Cowboys are going to give him touches. Even if he doesn't produce. People are acting like Alf needs to establish himself quickly or they will turn right to Rod, but it's the other way around. Alf is 28 with 2 Pro Bowls and more career rushing yards than Gale Sayers under his belt. He will have leash and he will get a lot of work. McFadden will get work. Step one is for Smith to make the most of his touches and get DMC phased out or he won't get enough volume to be useful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, '71 Bucks said:

Alf is 28 with 2 Pro Bowls and more career rushing yards than Gale Sayers under his belt.

 

....really?   So do 137 other NFL players.  And 2x Pro Bowl?  C'mon dude, this is the lamest line of reasoning.

Edited by kdko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also - Rod Smith has 4 receptions in his entire 3 year career. Dak Prescott has completed more than 4 passes to his running backs in a game once, and that was week 1 this year and they all went to Elliot. 

 

They could adapt their passing game with Zeke out but there's no evidence that the "passing" back role will be particularly lucrative in this offense. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Biggest winning lotto ticket of 2017.  Yall ready to cash in?

Uh... Josh Gordon?

12 hours ago, vmo1059 said:

 

To give his opinion on the player. Why you here? 

For the only good reason: to delude myself in the hype train.

5 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

 

But... what if Zeke comes back this Sunday disguised as Rod Smith, wearing a disguise and Rod Smith's #45? Throws a wrench into your theory, and just then "Rod Smith" might save your season....

Doesn't matter, Rod Smith will still be credited with the fantasy points.

3 hours ago, rbug8 said:

I'm a Smith owner but must say the optimism in this thread is really making me chuckle. To call him a team savior and other statements I've seen is a bit much at this point considering literally anything could happen Sunday with these 3 backs. So let's back off a little with these lofty expectations for now.

They're dreams/best-case scenarios, not expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Escuse me?

 

I'll try to translate this.  

8 minutes ago, Smoore12 said:

LET THE ROD TRAIN ROLL BABY!!! Hop on board, RB1 talent ROS. ??  Derrick Henry x10

 

There is a train with 12 cars - the Front of the train with the driver is SMoore12 then there is 10 Derrick Henry clones and Rod Smith at the back.  All together they produce RB1 numbers if they were on field at the same time but were the sizes of trains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gohawks said:

You say they are the same by providing the only thing they have in common because logic...

Did I say they were the same?  I was asking a question that I don’t know the answer to.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Panthor said:

 

 

except for the fact that Morris and maybe DMC are better than Lacy/Rawls/Procise,  this is not anything close to the Chris Carson situation.  Carson was the only guy who showed any kind of production in that backfield.  in DAL Morris has already shown he can produce.  i'm not in the Morris camp by any means and i think Smith has a shot to be a contributor.  but this is nothing like the SEA situation at the beginning of the year.   

That's why I said it has a CC feel to me.  Not that the situations are similar, just the vibe from coach comments, buzz, etc

 

Edit: I did use the word situation. My bad

Edited by SadFaceHappy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.