PhilaFanBoy

Rod Smith 2017 Season Outlook

cowboys will play the hot hand approach and rod smith is the most dynamic back on the roster. Simple as that. Hopefully he takes advantage of his touches and Alf looks avg 

Edited by charliehustler

As aZeke owner who has Alf and Rod my only hope is that 1 back takes over as lead dog and gives me 85% or more of Zeke's production

1 hour ago, CanaBuc said:

As aZeke owner who has Alf and Rod my only hope is that 1 back takes over as lead dog and gives me 85% or more of Zeke's production

85% of Zekes production is unrealistic even if they decided to feature just one back. At best you're probably looking at a 60/30/10 split. We think we know the 60, but not which back is the 30/10. 

I do think smith gets the 30%, but I wouldn't surprise me if its McFadden.

Realistically I could see Morris getting 2 Series and then McFadden and Smith alternating that 3rd series.

Hoping Smith looks so good he'll get more playing time next week. But Sunday will be Morris's chance.

I also hope Smith doesn't try so hard with his limited time that he fumbles.

1 minute ago, tpat30 said:

Realistically I could see Morris getting 2 Series and then McFadden and Smith alternating that 3rd series.

Hoping Smith looks so good he'll get more playing time next week. But Sunday will be Morris's chance.

I also hope Smith doesn't try so hard with his limited time that he fumbles.

I really don't see McFadden being used unless Alf looks bad.

It's really his job to lose.  I think Smith will still be used as the passing back, unless he stinks with that then McFadden will prob replace him doing that.

I guess in theory McFadden should be the starter because he has the most 3 down versatility, but I guess they believe in Alf's and Morris talents more so they will get the first shot.

This train...
Carries saints and sinners
This train...
Carries losers and winners
This train...
Carries whores and gamblers
This train...
Carries lost souls

I said this train...
Dreams will not be thwarted
This train...
Faith will be rewarded

Corey Davis and Henry???  I'm over here debating between keeping him over McGuire and Butker on bye.  I feel like Rod Smith is totally boom or bust, which is nice.  We either find out he has a lot of opportunity this weekend or it is over.

Edited by ap0calypse

Sigh this is like Kiezer Soze. The end product will not be blockbuster though 

7 minutes ago, ap0calypse said:

Corey Davis and Henry???  I'm over here debating between keeping him over McGuire and Butker on bye.  I feel like Rod Smith is totally boom or bust, which is nice.  We either find out he has a lot of opportunity this weekend or it is over.

True,  but this is a situation where the "boom" is probably worth gambling on in the off chance that Smith earns a significant role. If he performs well on the wire or on someone else's roster that hurts a lot more than the impact of having to drop a kicker imo. 

don't know if this was said before, but he might be used if the cowboys are out of the playoff hunt, which is likely possible without their best player for 6 games.  They could give him a good chance to see what they have.  For this, I think i'll hold ROS

7 minutes ago, Thinkingcap said:

well, that sure clears things up

?

25 minutes ago, nk3323 said:

don't know if this was said before, but he might be used if the cowboys are out of the playoff hunt, which is likely possible without their best player for 6 games.  They could give him a good chance to see what they have.  For this, I think i'll hold ROS

They call me the luminary 

39 minutes ago, nk3323 said:

I don't want to derail the thread, but the Cowboys are nowhere close to being out of the playoff hunt.  That and Ezekiel Elliot is not their best player, not even close.  When stud RBs have been out of games, historically the Vegas spreads change by 1/2 a point on average, which is nowhere close to what the spreads would be if Cooper Rush was throwing the ball.  If Dak Prescott were to go down, it would likely end their season.  I do think Rod Smith is a decent lottery ticket to see usage this week, but I don't think he is a good hold unless we see opportunity immediately.

Edited by ap0calypse

1 hour ago, Thinkingcap said:

"He's someone that has our coaching staff excited. He's got me excited. He's got a chance to really make a contribution. He's been doing great on special teams. Make no mistake about it, I think he's developing into a very viable three-down back."

Sounds good to me.

Oh look, another thread where people fall for coach speak and then end up in the vent and rant thread...

Edited by oliminator123

Although his hurdling technique isn't as good as Zeke, it's still a damn good athletic play. 

Zeke hurdling:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000709935/Ezekiel-Elliott-hurdles-defender-for-14-yards

Smith hurdling:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000825547/Rod-Smith-hurdles-defender

There's no Alfred Morris video's hurdling players since 2012. 

I think Smith's athletic ability over Morris will shine if given the opportunity.  I'm all aboard this train!!  Choo-chooo!!!!!

If Rod Smith takes over the starting role and dominates, it'll be the craziest thing of all time. Some hyperbole there, but you get what I'm saying. This guy's best comparable player as per player profiler is Alfred Blue. Literally, Rod Smith is one of the LEAST athletic RBs in football, as well as one of the slowest. It's a hard pass from me.