PhilaFanBoy

Rod Smith 2017 Season Outlook

Just dropped cause I was able to splooge on getting Collins in the Thursday waiver.  As much as I like Rod, I hope he doesn't blow up this week.  Not expecting much out of Smith, Collins, etc. but I don't think Smith's opportunity is necessarily this week. 

If he really gets passing down work, could be valuable.  Anyone believe this?

According to NFL Network's Jane Slater, Darren McFadden will serve as the Cowboys' No. 3 running back against the Chiefs in Week 9.

McFadden will handle change-of-pace work behind Morris with Rod Smith operating as the Cowboys' primary back on passing downs. The 30-year-old McFadden offers more versatility than Morris but has been a healthy scratch all season. He'll have a role, but perhaps not the one fantasy owners were hoping for.

2 minutes ago, herschel said:

If he really gets passing down work, could be valuable.  Anyone believe this?

According to NFL Network's Jane Slater, Darren McFadden will serve as the Cowboys' No. 3 running back against the Chiefs in Week 9.

McFadden will handle change-of-pace work behind Morris with Rod Smith operating as the Cowboys' primary back on passing downs. The 30-year-old McFadden offers more versatility than Morris but has been a healthy scratch all season. He'll have a role, but perhaps not the one fantasy owners were hoping for.

I'm actually surprised DMC is 3rd on the depth chart, behind Smith. I am starting to feel like Smith is the back to own. Talented and fast. Anyone know if he can catch?

2 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

I'm actually surprised DMC is 3rd on the depth chart, behind Smith. I am starting to feel like Smith is the back to own. Talented and fast. Anyone know if he can catch?

Why are you surprised? Darren McFadden sucks now and has for a while.

It's funny how so many people were writing off Rod Smith though...I'm going to laugh my a** off when he takes over the backfield. 

I think I am going to drop CJA for him real soon. I already own Morris so having Smith as a high upside backup just incase he takes the job seems worth it. CJA is trending way down and I can't see him sniffing my lineup anytime soon.

Please tell me if this makes sense to me that he's "#2" and DMC is #3?  Isnt' DMC Jerry Jones' boy?  What makes us think that he's suddenly going to be cast away?

1 minute ago, lbjames6 said:

Why are you surprised? Darren McFadden sucks now and has for a while.

It's funny how so many people were writing off Rod Smith though...I'm going to laugh my a** off when he takes over the backfield. 

Well now that I've thought about it, I'm not really that surprised. You're right, DMC hasn't been good for a while. I think Smith takes over this backfield soon.

1 minute ago, nk3323 said:

Please tell me if this makes sense to me that he's "#2" and DMC is #3?  Isnt' DMC Jerry Jones' boy?  What makes us think that he's suddenly going to be cast away?

Suddenly? The guy hasn’t dressed all season and has been irrelevant since 2015

Who's looked better on limited carries for DAL, Smith or Morris? 

If morris isn't clearly a better runner, then smith is the guy to own in PPR. This is looking to be Murry vs. McKinnon take 2...

2 minutes ago, Joelioli said:

Who's looked better on limited carries for DAL, Smith or Morris? 

If morris isn't clearly a better runner, then smith is the guy to own in PPR. This is looking to be Murry vs. McKinnon take 2...

I’d say they have looked equal, not really much to go off of though. Morris had a long run against the Rams a few weeks ago(70 yards I think) and then Smith at the end of the San Fran game was eating them alive. (In a blow out, 8 carries for 61 yards)

Smith has 2 catches on the year. Morris has 1.

10 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Suddenly? The guy hasn’t dressed all season and has been irrelevant since 2015

Did Aaron Jones do anything his first few weeks?

Dallas doesn't throw to RBs much, so I wouldn't bank on too many catches. Probably 3rd down back for blocking purposes. I did like his line against SF though, and gives them more explosiveness than Morris. He'll get a chance at some point.

Doubt there's any real reason to roster DMC. Morris will get 20 carries or so, maybe 5 each for Smith and DMC. Beyond the next game, I could see Smith getting opportunities to supplant Morris. Time will tell, but I've stashed him on 2 teams. Oline seems to have come together and more like their former selves 

6 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Added, I'm on board

Myself as well. Like that some news came out this morning.. Would rather be ahead of the rush to grab him after this high scoring game. 

3 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Dallas doesn't throw to RBs much, so I wouldn't bank on too many catches. Probably 3rd down back for blocking purposes. I did like his line against SF though, and gives them more explosiveness than Morris. He'll get a chance at some point.

Doubt there's any real reason to roster DMC. Morris will get 20 carries or so, maybe 5 each for Smith and DMC. Beyond the next game, I could see Smith getting opportunities to supplant Morris. Time will tell, but I've stashed him on 2 teams. Oline seems to have come together and more like their former selves 

Zeke has 19 catches on the year. So there’s a little amount of pass catching usage that needs to be made up for. Smith will probably get most of that considering Morris will run in between the tackles majority of the time. Unless they get Switzer more involved because of Beasley’s poor play and injuries I could see them having to  dump it off to their backs a little more. They won’t have Zeke going out there getting 5,6 yards on first and second down anymore. Longer 3rd down situations could be a factor.

In preseason Smith caught 7 balls for 57 as a pass catcher so he’s certainly capable.

My bets is the running back situation starts with a committee.  I’m not seeing anyone blowing up this week, but I’ll be taking note of usage & yrds/cary.

Edited by tonycpsu
CSB removed