PhilaFanBoy

Rod Smith 2017 Season Outlook

1 minute ago, seanismorris said:

My bets is the running back situation starts with a committee.  I’m not seeing anyone blowing up this week, but I’ll be taking note of usage & yrds/cary.

I’d like Rod Smith to emerge, but he’s not worth a roster spot for me (yet).  I’d have to drop Collins or Mack for him...

Well, as long as you understand that if one of these guys emerges you'll never have another crack at them.  Collins and Mack have upside, but remember the teams and o-lines they play behind.  

DMC and Alf are rostered already so i'm taking a chance on him over darkwa.  He could be one injury away or could be just a COP back to Alf or DMC - definitely worth a stash though

Edited by nk3323

3 minutes ago, nk3323 said:

DMC and Alf are rostered already so i'm taking a chance on him.  He could be one injury away or could be just a COP back to Alf or DMC - definitely worth a stash though

To me, he isn’t just an injury away from being startable. He can earn it through performance. In combination with Morris not doing well. I’m not predicting that, but it’s possible. Unlike some end of roster RBs for whom an injury would have to happen.

The cowboys aren’t dumb. They are going to play whoever gives them the best chance at winning.

Dont' know if this was posted but I like what I read....

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/30/dallas-cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-suspension-fantasy-football-week-9-waiver-wire-alfred-morris-rod-smith-darren-mcfadden/

Rod Smith played a ton in preseason and he looked like a skilled and powerful back when running or receiving the football. He did a nice job of staying alive against Green Bay and Dak Prescott found him for a third-down conversion deep in Packers territory.

Smith makes a lot of sense as a lead-back for Dallas. His tough-running style is the closest replication of what Elliott brings to this team in short yardage and he also offers the most-complete package among the group when aggregating running, receiving and pass protection duties into one player.

For fantasy, this is merely projection at this point. However, if you aren’t sold on Morris, the Smith speculation may not cost nearly as much as Morris.

Smith is a definite boom-or-bust option, but should figure into the offense regardless of who starts as the Cowboys enter the softest portion of their schedule and figure to try to dominate with their running attack.

1 minute ago, nk3323 said:

This is nice and everything but with every organization whether it is sports or not - there are expectations, relationships, and all sorts of other variables that derive to a particular conclusion.  Even if it were determined Smith was the best back - I don't know if we would see him starting or ever starting.  At this point, it is a three sided coin that you are flipping.  This situation is as clear as mud at the moment. 

Just now, dudewithabadcat said:

This is nice and everything but with every organization whether it is sports or not - there are expectations, relationships, and all sorts of other variables that derive to a particular conclusion.  Even if it were determined Smith was the best back - I don't know if we would see him starting or ever starting.  At this point, it is a three sided coin that you are flipping.  This situation is as clear as mud at the moment. 

i definitely agree which is why I said earlier that we may see more DMC first since he's JJ's boy

Just now, nk3323 said:

i definitely agree which is why I said earlier that we may see more DMC first since he's JJ's boy

You are a wicked smaht fantasy mind, bro.  

:)

I picked up all 3 a loooong time ago (not a Zeke owner...I try to stay clear of players who commit violent crimes/domestic abuse), and immediately worked a trade where I sent Morris and DMC away in a package deal...those two had the perceived value, while IMHO RSmith has the most upside of the 3 (so he's an easy stash for me....looking forward to this weekend).

In the game tape I've seen, he looks like a bigger DMC for the first 15yds, and with that O-line, that first 15yds is all I care about! ...just break off yards in chunks, he doesn't need to outrun everyone for a 70yd TD to be successful.

20 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

The cowboys are in the business of winning games. They will use whatever RB shows he’s most capable.  

We already know what Alf and McFadden are. Alf is a plodder and kind of a throw back/old school RB that doesn’t offer much big play potential or any reviving chops. McFadden has not been a good player for a while and the fact he’s been a healthy scratch and is now listed 3rd on the depth chart is indicative of how the team feels about it. I would suggest not reading into “his relationship with Jerry”, the fact of the matter is JJ wants to win football games, Jason Garrett wants to win football games, they are still in the mix and could conceivably make the playoffs. 

Rod Smith seems to have shown really well in practice and his teammates gush about him. It appears he has a role carved out being their 3rd down back. I do believe the cowboys want to turn the backfield over to one guy and if I were a betting man that guy would be Smith. He has an amazing opportunity to seize the job as a feature back behind an elite line on one of the best offenses in football. Everything I’ve read on him has been very encouraging,

This guy is absolutely worth a stash and could pay off huge. Much rather have him on my bench then a lot of guys.

Edited by CrastersCreep

2 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

I picked up all 3 a loooong time ago (not a Zeke owner...I try to stay clear of players who commit violent crimes/domestic abuse), and immediately worked a trade where I sent Morris and DMC away in a package deal...those two had the perceived value, while IMHO RSmith has the most upside of the 3 (so he's an easy stash for me....looking forward to this weekend).

In the game tape I've seen, he looks like a bigger DMC for the first 15yds, and with that O-line, that first 15yds is all I care about! ...just break off yards in chunks, he doesn't need to outrun everyone for a 70yd TD to be successful.

I must say, I chuckled when I saw that Jameis Winston was your fantasy QB.

4 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

The cowboys are in the business of winning games. They will use whatever RB shows he’s most capable.  

We already know what Alf and McFadden are. Alf is a plodder and kind of a throw back/old school RB that doesn’t offer much big play potential or any reviving chops. McFadden has not been a good player for a while and the fact he’s been a healthy scratch and is now listed 3rd on the depth chart is indicative of how the team feels about it. I would suggest not reading into “his relationship with Jerry”, the fact of the matter is JJ wants to win football games, Jason Garrett wants to win football games, they are still in the mix and could conceivably make the playoffs. 

Rod Smith seems to have shown really well in practice and his teammates gush about him. It appears he has a role carved out being their 3rd down back. I do believe the cowboys want to turn the backfield over to one guy and if I were a betting man that guy would be Smith. He has an amazing opportunity to seize the job as a feature back behind an elite line on one of the best offenses in football. Everything I’ve read on him has been very encouraging,

This guy is absolutely worth a stash and could pay off huge. Much rather have him on my bench then a lot of guys.

Nice write up about his upside. What is most encouraging to me is the high marks from his teammates. That's also why I picked up richardson lately, teammates had great things to say about him. 

3 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

DINGDINDING!

thank you for that. 

5 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

Agreed :head down:

Aaron Rodgers injury fogged my judgment...I actually traded for Winston. *I did say, "I try to avoid"

Edited by FollowTheLeader

5 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

True, except that DMC was though to be a bust before he came to Dallas and put up 1400 total yards in 2015.  IMO, he hasn't done much simply because he wasn't needed because of Zeke.  I'm not saying that he will go back to 2015.  I'm just saying don't count out DMC because of that, and the relationship with JJ (yes that definitely helps when PT is up for grabs)

1 hour ago, herschel said:

If he really gets passing down work, could be valuable.  Anyone believe this?

According to NFL Network's Jane Slater, Darren McFadden will serve as the Cowboys' No. 3 running back against the Chiefs in Week 9.

McFadden will handle change-of-pace work behind Morris with Rod Smith operating as the Cowboys' primary back on passing downs. The 30-year-old McFadden offers more versatility than Morris but has been a healthy scratch all season. He'll have a role, but perhaps not the one fantasy owners were hoping for.

This is huge. Cowboys' already know Rod Smith is better than DMC. Give this 2-3 weeks and Smith will be the workhorse. 

3 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

This is huge. Cowboys' already know Rod Smith is better than DMC. Give this 2-3 weeks and Smith will be the workhorse. 

I’m not advocating starting him this week but it could conceivably happen this week. Alf gets a few carries on the first drive doesn’t do much, Rod Smith gets some carries shows well (which is what I expect) then suddenly he’s the guy.

2 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

I’m not advocating starting him this week but it could conceivably happen this week. Alf gets a few carries on the first drive doesn’t do much, Rod Smith gets some carries shows well (which is what I expect) then suddenly he’s the guy.

Yes this is likely as well. Not sure if I have the balls to start him this week over Forte in PPR.

6 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Yes this is likely as well. Not sure if I have the balls to start him this week over Forte in PPR.

I look at it like if it’s a game that I’m an underdog in and need a high ceiling play then I think you should. Obviously he might score 3 points where as Forte is a good bet for 8-12 in PPR but I could also see Hot Rod having a monster game and winning you or anyone bold enough to play him the week. Often when opposing teams aren’t prepared for a heavy dose of an unknown player it results in monster games. I’m rollung the dice in a few leagues.

Edited by CrastersCreep

Just now, CrastersCreep said:

I look at it like if it’s a game that I’m an underdog in and need a high ceiling play then I think you should. Obviously he might score 3 points wheee as Forte is a good bet for 8-12 in PPR but I could also see Hot Rod having a monster game. Especially when opposing teams aren’t prepared for a heavy dose of an unknown player. I’m rollung the dice in a few leagues.

I agree. Sometimes you just have to start a guy, albeit the unknowns. Who knows ... maybe he'll ball out, maybe he won't. In my situation, I'm getting killed with byes so I think I'm forced to start him in my 1PPR league. It's either him or Garcon, who's a hard no this week. I also have my eye on Demarcus Robinson, if Wilson is out. I can see him getting a few catches but is the 3rd option in KC.

Optimistically, this has the feel of McKinnon and Aaron Jones.

Just now, jtbgator said:

I agree. Sometimes you just have to start a guy, albeit the unknowns. Who knows ... maybe he'll ball out, maybe he won't. In my situation, I'm getting killed with byes so I think I'm forced to start him in my 1PPR league. It's either him or Garcon, who's a hard no this week. I also have my eye on Demarcus Robinson, if Wilson is out. I can see him getting a few catches but is the 3rd option in KC.

Optimistically, this has the feel of McKinnon and Aaron Jones.

I agree completely - I’m prepared to accept that he might do squat but I also think he could just as easily have a monster week.

24 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

DINGDINDING!

thank you for that. 

Damn, I got me some serious egg on my face :blink: and deservedly so. I should have just kept my big opinionated mouth shut.

Side note: my signature team is a keeper league, as I quit ALL dynasty leagues to avoid being monetarily tied to players (such as Winston), and I could drop them immediately without a financial hit. End of season, Winston will be traded. I couldn't get any other QB via trade, and didn't trust Taylor at the time.  Does the fact I have not started Winston matter? I know...nope.

I deserved, and appreciate being called out on that factoid B)

Just dropped the Steelers DST I was holding to make sure I got him.

I have 4 Dallas RBs on my bench and they are all worthless to me this week. 

Edited by Beerdown