crazybob60

Dejounte Murray 2017-18 Season Outlook

1 hour ago, Trench Mob said:

It was against the Heat's defense. Just chalk that up as a wash.

He has a way better match-up against the journeyman Augustin tonight. I'm excited to see what he can do. 

I didn't watch the game, but the Heat are really tough against PGs. They are right up there with the Jazz in the averages they allow to the PG position, so I am not surprised by any of this. If you are going to be riding the roller coaster on a game to game basis you might want to find someone a little less volatile. At the end of the day he is 10/8/4.3 with 1 steal on 47.2%/75%. Sure, the 3's aren't there, but that is a very useful line for a lot of builds. The Magic play with much better pace so it should be a better matchup for DJ. 

Here are some thoughts I have after watching some games and the thought I have about his value season long....

I have tried to watch as many minutes of Spurs games to see what is up with DJ's role. It seems like Pop is putting him in a real good position to succeed by having him almost always out there with LMA, Green and Anderson. He plays a good amount of minutes with Pau as well to start halves. Green is playing really well spacing and cutting. From what I have seen Pau tends to space a lot when Murray is on the floor. LMA is the primary option and Anderson is just solid at making the right play to keep ball movement going. So DJ doesn't really have to force much (that is what LMA is for). The only annoying part of the half court sets is that DJ has looked far better to me in transition than he does in half court sets. He is just ridiculously long, so his strides are deceiving with how much ground he covers. I have seen him a few times in transition and he knew when to push it to the rim and when to make the pass to open shooters. In the half court I am not really excited every time he settles for a jumper. I might be biased because I am starting him in my weekly, but he doesn't look comfortable with the jumper and it isn't the nicest thing to watch. On defense the kid has the go-go gadget arms like one of my favorites, AK-47, had. He is just a thin, wirey dude that seems really advanced in knowing how to use his length. 

Overall, I don't know where he fits in with this Spurs team this year long term. Parker is coming back and I don't care if he is good, bad, washed...he is getting minutes. I don't really care if DJ starts, it is just about the minutes. Mills is getting or keeping his minutes. Murray is already being sheltered with 24-28 minutes a game usually alongside starters. I need to see that number spike into the 28-32 minutes range in the near future, or else his role probably won't be big enough to roster when TP returns. I want to see him get some minutes next to Manu and Mills in some different lineups where he guards 2's. That would tell me Pop is getting more creative with his rotations to get him more run and then he can possibly be useful all year. IMO, without more minutes, I don't think his role is big enough to justify holding him when TP returns. I think he can stay in the 8-12 point, 4-6 boards, 4ish assists and that is ok, but not enough to keep me from looking at the wire for better upside. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He has no problem getting into the lanes, but his layups and tear drops is just isn't falling lately. Eh. It's alright. 

16 minutes ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

drop city

um no

Straight murdered me this week. I can't see his situation getting any better when Parker and KL are back. Thoughts people?

56 minutes ago, ROTY said:

Straight murdered me this week. I can't see his situation getting any better when Parker and KL are back. Thoughts people?

FG% straight to the dumpster

1 hour ago, ballinOnaBudget said:

FG% straight to the dumpster

He gone man. Wassup Bog Bog!

1 hour ago, Samblacksmith said:

I'm still not dropping yet. Just cause I know he'll go off once I do. His shots just aren't falling rn 

his shots aren't falling? lol he has no jumper only an inside game 

• Like 1

3 games the rest of this week....sneaky value in daily leagues through sunday?

• Like 1

This guy is sucking majorly now? Is he dropworthy in a 14 man league?

Did anyone watch the Spurs game last night?

He had a stellar stat line, after some real clunkers.

Was this just because they were playing the Bulls or what's the deal here?

I think Murray bounces back in the weeks to come.  He's a huge part of the Spurs future alongside Kawhi , so Pop is hard on him.  

He def has a long way to go on offense but his length and athleticism is a real difference maker for the Spurs at the PG position.  I expect 13/5/5 from him when he settles in.  I'm also not worried about Parker at this stage of his career.  He'll come off the bench for 14-17mpg IMO.  

If you have an open roster spot, and need a PG long term, he's a great guy to hold on to while he learns to be more consistent.  Pop knows he has something special in Murray, and he's holding him to a high standard because of it.

Edited by HulkSmash

1 hour ago, crazybob60 said:

Did anyone watch the Spurs game last night?

He had a stellar stat line, after some real clunkers.

Was this just because they were playing the Bulls or what's the deal here?

+ Garbage Time Special?