phatrat

Waiver Wire Touts - Week 8

Dion Lewis. Has put together two solid games in a row and lead Patriots in carries both weeks. Lead the Pats in snaps this week. Its tough to own a Pats back especially since they legitimately play 4 RBs. However, Lewis has put up solid numbers in 2015 and gives Pats a unique combo of solid running between the tackles and ability to catch passes. He seems poised to take over Gillislee's early down back and potentially GL back role (Gillislee couldn't convert another GL carry; Lewis scored one last week and I think had a RZ receiving touchdown 2 weeks before that). Lewis looks to be the best Patriots back to own (outside of White in PPR but he could even cut into his workload some) and in that offense its easy for RBs to have value (although consistency is another issue). 

6 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

Dion Lewis. Has put together two solid games in a row and lead Patriots in carries both weeks. Lead the Pats in snaps this week. Its tough to own a Pats back especially since they legitimately play 4 RBs. However, Lewis has put up solid numbers in 2015 and gives Pats a unique combo of solid running between the tackles and ability to catch passes. He seems poised to take over Gillislee's early down back and potentially GL back role (Gillislee couldn't convert another GL carry; Lewis scored one last week and I think had a RZ receiving touchdown 2 weeks before that). Lewis looks to be the best Patriots back to own (outside of White in PPR but he could even cut into his workload some) and in that offense its easy for RBs to have value (although consistency is another issue). 

Lewis is worth an add, but he's not worth burning a high waiver priority over and that's coming from someone who picked him up this past week off free agency. It's anyone's guess who gets the goal line carries on a week to week basis.

JuJu Smith-Shuster could be a possibility for bye needy squads in 12+ team leagues and if your #3 WR is stinking up the joint. With the trainwreck that is Martavis Bryant, it's possible he could be traded and open up a few more looks from Big Ben. JuJu has nice size and good hands. Should the Steelers passing game take off (it hasn't yet), then JuJu would be even more valuable.

Edited by BLINDSIDERS

Corey Davis should've already been picked up in your league but if he hasn't for some reason then you should run to waivers to get him (I think he is worth burning a top waiver on). Dude should be a WR2 rest of the way especially depending on the severity of Delanie Walker's ankle injury. If you don't know him look up his college highlights. Titans spent the #5 overall pick on him in this past years draft for him to be their alpha WR1 and be Mariota's go to target. With the current WRs underwhelming and a strong performance in week 1 Davis could be the top target on this team this season (Davis struggled with a hammy injury through preseason and reinjured it early into week 2 after a strong week 1 performance where he saw a team leading 10 targets and has been out until now due to the injury; they are playing it safe obviously since he already re-injured it once and they don't want to do any long term damage).  He has a BYE next week but he will likely be healthy enough to give it a go week 9. 

Edited by Jaw1

11 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

Lewis is worth an add, but he's not worth burning a high waiver priority over and that's coming from someone who picked him up this past week off free agency. It's anyone's guess who gets the goal line carries on a week to week basis.

That's fair but I think he is a sneaky guy with upside for the RB needy and probably the top RB that is available in most leagues. With guys like TyMont, McKinnon and AP having major question marks come up this week Lewis wouldn't be a bad add to improve RB depth. I agree I probably wouldn't burn a high waiver priority on him unless you are pretty desperate (or it resets every week) though since Pats RBs are unpredictable. 

Edited by Jaw1

4 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

That's fair but I think he is a sneaky guy with upside for the RB needy and probably the top RB that is available in most leagues. With guys like TyMont, McKinnon and AP having major question marks come up this week Lewis wouldn't be a bad add to improve RB depth. I agree I probably wouldn't burn a high waiver priority on him unless you are pretty desperate (or it resets every week) though since Pats RBs are unpredictable. 

Agree with everything above. If I have a high priority though I'm saving it until a Lamar Miller, Carlos Hyde, CJ Anderson, Gore, or Bell goes down. All of their cuffs should be on free agency in the majority of leagues. Then there's always an off chance that some idiot in your league drops someone of value because they're in a slump. We've already seen it happen with Ingram, Peterson, and Cooper this year and we still have more than half a season to go.

Great post Cam– agree with you 100%. My strategy on a week like this without a clear #1 PRIORITY ADD out there is to stash your pick(s) AND let your waiver priority increase as guys scramble to fill-in for bye week guys. I'm through the thick of my bye week now (this week was the worst for me) and I'm going to sit back and save my draft priority. If you're in a position to do that because of standings / don't need fill-ins I'd strongly recommend to take that strategy as well.

For waiver adds this week– and I hate to do this on fear that my league mates read this– but I'll go with:

QB: Dalton. Keenum.

Both have solid Week 8 matchups if you need a fill in. 

WR: Sanu. Robby Anderson. Robert Woods. Cooper Kupp.

I like Sanu and Robby for Week 8 fill ins and Woods and Kupp I like for ROS though that schedule gets BRUTAL.

RB: Latavius. I think Mckinnons output was the exception rather than the rule. I have sources with that team that view him as a more complete back and was shocked (as were they) that Mckinnon finally showed as well as he did. I think Latavius is a better bet ROS – albeit RB3/Flex territory and does have a tough matchup against a surprisingly stout Cleveland D. Fat Rob Kelley is interesting due to volume and an above average offense especially in standard formats– that offense should get going here down the stretch. Marlon Mack continues to be the better of the backs in an Indy offense that will be playing catchup all year. He's interesting in PPR formats particularly. Yeldon is a better back than Ivory and is the handcuff to own in Jax if Fournette continues to miss time...

TE: Hunter Henry has a good Wk 8 matchup against NE and has been getting fed more and more... Tyler Kroft has some appeal for Bengals in a matchup against Indy. Julius Thomas has a good matchup on the road against Baltimore who have been fantasy friendly to TEs. He might get an uptick with Cutler out being a safefty valve for Matt Moore...

DST: Saints get Chicago. Eagles have a juicy matchup against SF in Wk 8. Bengals get a bounce back game against Indy. All are good fill-ins with Saints having some ROS potential but do have two tough matchups against the Falcons in the fantasy playoffs.

As for a few other thoughts re: others' posts–

I like a guy like Corey Davis but that offense has me scratching my head. Along with Bucs / Texans – I was buying into the Titans offense being extremely fantasy friendly this year and being able to get into those offenses at a discount in the draft. Bucs have worked (got Martin off waivers) and Texans are literally carrying me to the promised lands on the backs of waiver wonders Desean Watson and Fuller.

As for the Titans, that offense just hasn't clicked thus far and todays game against the Browns doesn't give me a ton of confidence. Maybe a bye week for Mariota to get better and getting Davis back will help but I'm not blowing a waiver priority on an add like that – especially if they're on a bye.

As for the Pats backfield... I am staying away completely except in deeper PPR leagues. Lewis is worth a stash but Burkhead is a guy they really like and you saw that in his usage in his first game back. Just way too much in that backfield for me to get excited about.

Edited by kjansick
shuffle

6 hours ago, ukdesi said:

Hmmmm....Deonte Thompson......only 4 targets, but the first game with a new team....Zay Jones had 9 targets and 2 receptions.....I suppose Matthews is the WR1, but Thompson has potential to assume that mantle.........one thing is that this came against a porous Bucs pass defense....

- Thompson also had plenty return yardage at Chicago. Not sure how Buffalo will use him (they already have a guy for that), but if he gets some of that too, it increases his value in return yard leagues 

- Zay Jones basically has caught absolutely nothing all season. I've not seen the games so I can't judge how bad it was, but I can definitely see the coaching staff getting fed up with that and if Thompson is able to hold on to the ball AND get decent yardage, I predict 6-8 targets next week easily

- Clay (the TE) is out for a couple weeks, so they really need somebody to catch some serious balls

- the only other person to get targets in Buffalo was McCoy, who is a stud of course, but they haven't really used him as a deep threat.

All factors in Thompson's favor. He's a gamble, not really a WR1 kind of gamble, but it would be very nice if he turns into a WR2/3 type of guy over the next couple weeks.

3 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

Lewis looks to be the best Patriots back to own (outside of White in PPR but he could even cut into his workload some) and in that offense its easy for RBs to have value (although consistency is another issue). 

All of this. At the very least I still think he has trade value after his game yesterday.

Dede Westbrook return incoming. And so is Olsen and Woodhead . Some good stashes now that you still have a shot at them

Edited by daveLux

8 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

I’m gonna put Jordan Matthews in here again. 

Why though? 2 catches for 10 yards (again) - I admit to not having seen much of the game but what do you know that I don't see, and if you like the Bills, why don't you prefer Deonte Thomson?

15 minutes ago, daveLux said:

Dede Westbrook

The Jags don't seem to want to throw much - no WR gets over 3-4 catches a week, which is not that attractive to me. I expect Westbrook to get maybe 2-3 balls the first weeks, and not that much more. Should they start throwing in earnest though, he could be interesting, but I need to see it.

10 minutes ago, daveLux said:

And so is Olsen

Doesn't the situation in Carolina scare you? I already have wayyy too much of Cam Newton in Benjamin and Funchess, and I'm looking for ways to trade that stock, because Cam on a bad day can kill that production, and Cam on a good day still wants to run the ball first.

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

The Jags don't seem to want to throw much - no WR gets over 3-4 catches a week, which is not that attractive to me. I expect Westbrook to get maybe 2-3 balls the first weeks, and not that much more. Should they start throwing in earnest though, he could be interesting, but I need to see it.

Doesn't the situation in Carolina scare you? I already have wayyy too much of Cam Newton in Benjamin and Funchess, and I'm looking for ways to trade that stock, because Cam on a bad day can kill that production, and Cam on a good day still wants to run the ball first.

I picked up Olsen 2 weeks ago to stash for later in the season. I think he is what Cam needs actually. They have a connection and Olsen will get targets from him. He has been off with the other guys and Olsen could get major points upon his return. 

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Why though? 2 catches for 10 yards (again) - I admit to not having seen much of the game but what do you know that I don't see, and if you like the Bills, why don't you prefer Deonte Thomson?

It was literally his first game back, he’s not gonna go 8/130/2. Coming off a significant injury. And I’m a bears fan, you’re not gonna catch me picking up Thompson. 

Better put a claim in for Woodhead this week! Do it before the announcers talk about him all night long on Thursday when the RB committee isn't working again for Baltimore. I am sure his name and status will be brought up 2-3 times when they play and how bad the offense needs him 

Plus, good replacement in case a RB gets injured. Week 13 on schedule looks very good too if it comes to that:

Week 13: Detroit

Week 14: @ Pittsburgh

Week 15: @ Cleveland

Week 16: Indianapolis

Unless you are in a super deep league, I see no value in stashing woodhead and Olsen . They are coming off of major injuries and are not going to start producing in game 1. If anything , it will take at least week 12/13 for them to be productive . By then , half the league is not paying attention.

C.J. Beathard While not a great "REAL" game for fantasy he put up 19 points , more then alot of stars and was his first game. He has weapons in garcon , Kittle and Hyde and can run.  Again for Fantasy purposes. Good backup too.

C.J. Beathard draws high praise in first start

Former Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard impressed in his first NFL start on Sunday for the San Francisco 49ers. You don’t need to look at his stats (28 of 35 for 235 passing yards) or know he scored his first rushing touchdown to realize his play against the Dallas Cowboys was eye-opening. The way FOX analyst Troy Aikman praised him — mentioning Beathard in the same sentence as Joe Montana — let’s you know it.

Edited by damageinc

5 minutes ago, damageinc said:

C.J. Beathard While not a great "REAL" game for fantasy he put up 19 points , more then alot of stars and was his first game. He has weapons in garcon , Kittle and Hyde and can run.  Again for Fantasy purposes. Good backup too.

C.J. Beathard draws high praise in first start

Former Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard impressed in his first NFL start on Sunday for the San Francisco 49ers. You don’t need to look at his stats (28 of 35 for 235 passing yards) or know he scored his first rushing touchdown to realize his play against the Dallas Cowboys was eye-opening. The way FOX analyst Troy Aikman praised him — mentioning Beathard in the same sentence as Joe Montana — let’s you know it.

Agree. He gave me 14.4 PPR points. Wasn't terrible. Think I'll give him another shot vs PHI week 8.

I assume 14 in your league due to fumbles ?  just curious. He had 18 in NFL..com and CBS and was a top 10 QB yesterday/ Yards 235 = 9 points, 30 rush + 3 points and rushing TD = 6

Is Donta Foreman worth stashing?  

Coming off a bye and their stud LT is back.  Maybe he gets more work?

My personal tips:

- Ted Ginn (picked him up this week), owned only in 50% of leagues and seems to finally get it.

- Dion Lewis, owned in only 30%.

- Latavius Murray, only 40%.

- Smallwood, only 40%; take a look at his play-off schedule, which is juicy if his knee holds up.

- McCown only owned 12%, which is a crime.