Sign in to follow this  
DoctorLove

T.J. McConnell 2017-2018 Season Outlook

9 minutes ago, BBOY said:

a lot of people doubt TJ but they are usually the ones who do not watch TJ. TJ is well respected on the Sixers. He was the teammate of the year. He was the point guard when they were winning all of those games with Embiid last year. 

Someone always start in front of TJ and somehow...every year...he works his way into the rotation and gains minutes as the primary facilitator. Why is that?

#1 He can play D with the best of them.  Disadvantaged at times by his height but he makes up for it overall in hustle.

#2 He is an exceptional playmaker. He runs the whole show. He isn't like the normal new age scoring guard he brings a style of play to the team and that style of play is fast and effective...if he is playing with guys who'll finish at the rim and hit the 3.

#3 He is extremely efficient. He does not take shots he can't make. 

Brett Brown's rule is Pace, Space and Defense.  TJ fits them all to a T.  He isn't a 3 point shooter but he creates space for others with his dribbling and passing. 

At the end of the year,  in exit interviews, TJ said he was going to improve his 3 because he knows how important it will be playing with Embiid and Simmons. 

Small sample size, but so far this year, it seems he has improved his 3. Still does not have confidence in it but he shoots a high%

Said all that say, grab the hell out of TJ McConnell, because no matter what happens he will be a part of it.

This. All of this. TJ is easy to scoff at, but he's got incredibly high basketball IQ and will always fight on every last possession. He also knows how to get to his spots on the floor and doesn't take many dumb shots. Really happy with the way he's playing this year. 

I had him last year and was happy with his productuon.  Fultz is definitely the PG of the future for them though, and TJ will be back to low 20s between him, bayless, and Fultz in a few months.  

6 minutes ago, Kriggly said:

I had him last year and was happy with his productuon.  Fultz is definitely the PG of the future for them though, and TJ will be back to low 20s between him, bayless, and Fultz in a few months.  

Yeah, I think long-term TJ is a better real life point guard than fantasy point guard, but for now enjoy his production while it lasts. 

So underrated. He needs just 25 minutes to be fantasy relevant. AST and STL are two competitive category in my league. He's still on the FA, so I just scoop him up without thinking deep. GO TJ!!

Edited by sickrookie

1 hour ago, sickrookie said:

So underrated. He needs just 25 minutes to be fantasy relevant. AST and STL are two competitive category in my league. He's still on the FA, so I just scoop him up without thinking deep. GO TJ!!

Who did you drop?

1 hour ago, Trade Monster said:

Who did you drop?

Jamal Murray. I know the future is bright for him but he's been such a headache. I don't need scoring (punt 3's), and his ast and stl are mediocre. 

Other FA: Crabbe, Snell, Bogdan, Levert. My bench: RoLo, Prince, J-Rich. Your thought? 

I like TJ a lot and if you told me he was guaranteed the playing time he's getting now for the rest of the season I'd take him over Murray. That's the problem though, is Markelle Fultz is coming back as some point and he's the future on the Sixers. TJ is a rental whereas Murray has the keys to the car in Denver. 

4 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

I like TJ a lot and if you told me he was guaranteed the playing time he's getting now for the rest of the season I'd take him over Murray. That's the problem though, is Markelle Fultz is coming back as some point and he's the future on the Sixers. TJ is a rental whereas Murray has the keys to the car in Denver. 

Agree here.  The Sixers don't have the best of luck with rookies and health, and this Fultz deal seems fishy so who knows when he's coming back.  Don't want to wish harm on players in real life, but I'm hoping Fultz gets shut down for a while to get right... I'm going to ride McConnell till the wheels fall off.

I agree Murray has season long value but I doubt if he's worth the wait. Even if he gets 30 minutes he would have to maintain fg 45% to be top 100 (He shot only 42% last year). Of course he may improve ast and stl this year but he's now outside top 150 and too streaky to roster. He was on my bench and I thought I could deploy him occasionally when he got hot. Now with unpredictable Malone and Mudiay/Barton I'd rather have somebody else to deal with the headache. I am well aware Fultz will eventually cut his playing time and I'll be looking at something of value as the time is up. 

Somehow I think TJ will have 20 mins at least even when Fultz is back. 

My thinking is that, TJ will take mins from Bayless. On top of that, TJ probably is more consistent than Fultz, and with 76er not taking this year, TJ should have better role.

The fact there there is no structural damage and Fultz has to be reevaluated in 3 weeks makes me think that there's a possibility he'll be shut down.

10 minutes ago, stevenzhang said:

The fact there there is no structural damage and Fultz has to be reevaluated in 3 weeks makes me think that there's a possibility he'll be shut down.

Curious, why does the lack of structural damage make you think he will be shut down? Bc it doesn’t sound like it’s healing properly?

1 hour ago, DoctorLove said:

Curious, why does the lack of structural damage make you think he will be shut down? Bc it doesn’t sound like it’s healing properly?

Makes me believe they're not sure what kind of rehab needs and how long he needs to rehab. 

Please note: I am not a doctor. I'm just stating my opinion.

So Bayless is having some discomfort in his left wrist, the same one he had surgery on last year.  Won't play tomorrow.

Looks like the door will stay open for TJ for the foreseeable future.

The Bayless injury was enough for me to add. Sixers trying to win now. While Fultz is the future, hes still too raw to really impact the team and lead the team to Ws. At this point, they are past the player development over trying to win games. If Mcconell can carve 25-28mpg no reason he cant be top 100 player.

Scooped as a streamer for tomorrow. Looking forward to a fat line.

On 2017/11/7 at 10:42 AM, DoctorLove said:

Anybody heard anything on bayless’ wrist?

Jerryd Bayless to miss at least the next games with left wrist bruise. The swelling had not gone down.

32 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

What happened to his PT tonight?

Wondering the same thing. Awesome statline, but only got 18 min. Last time he got under 26 min was Oct 23rd.