Mr.E

Weather 2017 Season Outlook

With Hurricane Irma lurking around the corner, figured it might be time to start tracking the potential fantasy implications.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-united-states-hurricane-warning-leeward-islands-hurricane-watch

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/36286662/scott-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-irma

Of course first of all prayers to all those that will be potentially impacted by this thing (including my Miami behind).

If it does indeed hit south Florida, it seems to be trending towards sometime this weekend. As for the Dolphins game, even if its not a direct hit I have to imagine there's a good chance that game gets called off if Irma progresses as projected.

I have Jameis Winston in a 12 team league. I am picking up Bradford who plays on Monday against the Saints just in case. It's a shame it's only week 1 and I am already scrambling. Ugh

Edited by KB_IV

Looks like Irma is going to make landfall sometime this weekend, potentially putting this matchup in jeopardy. I figured we could post all relevant updates to date change/postponement news here. 

1 minute ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Looks like Irma is going to make landfall sometime this weekend, potentially putting this matchup in jeopardy. I figured we could post all relevant updates to date change/postponement news here. 

Other than moving the game up, what neutral site would be available?  Would they play in a college stadium?

19 minutes ago, Mr.E said:

There is precedent for the NFL doing this -- when Hurricane Andrew struck in 1992, they moved the MIA-NE game to later in the season:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1992/08/28/Dolphins-Patriots-game-rescheduled-to-Oct-18/6380714974400/

Like in the current situation, both teams had the same bye week that season.

4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

There is precedent for the NFL doing this -- when Hurricane Andrew struck in 1992, they moved the MIA-NE game to later in the season:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1992/08/28/Dolphins-Patriots-game-rescheduled-to-Oct-18/6380714974400/

Playing 16 straight games though will be tough to sell both teams... 

3 minutes ago, Kevk44 said:

Playing 16 straight games though will be tough to sell both teams... 

True. But they might not have any other option.

Great a lot of us will be going into week one short handed without our top players 

12 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

True. But they might not have any other option.

Move the game to Friday.  Move the game to a neutral site.  

Just now, kco734 said:

Great a lot of us will be going into week one short handed without our top players 

Off the cuff, with no real information, I'd say there is a 95% chance they play this week in some fashion.  Everyone wants their bye week.  Whether that means moving up the game, or changing locations.  

It's going to be an all day Sunday/Monday deal for those of us in Florida. Of course it all depends on the sharpness of the right turn. If they move the game to Friday they would be fine. I imagine they'd make the announcement fairly quickly after a decision is made. 

Of course this would happen week 1 of the season.  FML 

A very good chance that they will move it to week 11 since they are both on a bye that week.

"

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the league wrapped up a conference call Tuesday morning without a decision on how to handle Dolphins vs. Bucs.

With Hurricane Irma now a Category 5 storm and looking likely to hit Florida on Sunday, the league will almost certainly have to move the game. Whether that is to another location or to each team's Week 11 bye remains to be seen. The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud reports the Bucs expect the game to be moved to the bye week.
Related: Buccaneers

Sep 5 - 10:43 AM

Thinking is also they might move it to Thursday night 

Just now, dre said:

Of course this would happen week 1 of the season.  FML 

Well yesterday was the anniversary of when I lost my home to Hurricane Frances and it got bad again a few weeks later with Jean. Last year Matthew hit I believe week 6. Would you rather it come when half your team are on bye weeks?

4 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Move the game to Friday.  Move the game to a neutral site.  

Friday might work. Would be hard time wise to get all the TV equipment and other stuff needed for a game moved to a neutral site. I remember hearing a stat regarding how many hours in advance the NFL needs to change game location/day in order to get all the needed resources in place for an NFL game.

34 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

In 2005 the Dolphins game with the KC Chiefs was moved to Friday night because of Hurricane Wilma as well.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2198438

KhrBhsq.png

Hopefully Miami area doesn't get a direct hit and get nailed with a lot of rain like the Houston area did. If this makes landfall at its current strength, could have devastation in the Miami area. 

Edited by burninglegs