Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

svtballa

Carlos Correa 2018 Outlook

7 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

Oh yeah, he’s a total loser.

I think you should change your screen name to Floyd Fairweather.

12 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I get that the average hasn't been where we expect it to be but he is off to a pretty good start counting stats wise. And a .264 average in such a sss is not really something anyone should complain about.  RELAX 

Jesus, this board has to be one of the most humorless places on the internet...

1 minute ago, Mickey Donovan said:

Jesus, this board has to be one of the most humorless places on the internet...

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor: right below Lewis Brinson's BA.

[ Hey, let's drop this senseless bickering and focus on things other community members care about. ]

It's good to see him stealing bases this year. I know it's only two but it feels like he's got the green light more so than he did last season. 

13 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

I get that the average hasn't been where we expect it to be but he is off to a pretty good start counting stats wise. And a .264 average in such a sss is not really something anyone should complain about.  RELAX 

Indeed - he went 1 for 2 last night raising his average to .273. If he went 2 for 4 in each of the next two games, which is hardly outlandish (especially against MIranda and Gonzales), then his average would be 0.302. It's still early!

9 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

It's good to see him stealing bases this year. I know it's only two but it feels like he's got the green light more so than he did last season. 

All my marijuana induced joking aside (see above), if he can stay healthy and steal a bag a week, holy crap, top 5 fantasy player. I am a little concerned about his strikeouts but it's 2018, just have to roll with it.

33 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

All my marijuana induced joking aside (see above), if he can stay healthy and steal a bag a week, holy crap, top 5 fantasy player. I am a little concerned about his strikeouts but it's 2018, just have to roll with it.

Don't get too greedy:  even 8-10 bags makes a huge difference IMO.

Strikeouts are only a mild concern.  If he had 4 less K's this season, his K-rate would be identical to last year.  Small aberrations look a lot bigger in the SSS to start the season.

On 4/17/2018 at 3:21 PM, merlin401 said:

Don't get too greedy:  even 8-10 bags makes a huge difference [hard stop].

Fixed.

I don't think I'll ever understand why this guy gets drafted ahead of Lindor every single year.

45 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I don't think I'll ever understand why this guy gets drafted ahead of Lindor every single year.

Cause they have comparable numbers right now and Correa hasn't even gotten hot. Lindor offers more SB sure, but Correa still has more upside

^Every year that's what everyone says. And every year Lindor is better.

6 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

^Every year that's what everyone says. And every year Lindor is better.

Correa was hurt last year too. He hit 24 HR in 109 games. The injury probably held him back from hitting 35+. 

And even if Correa is drafted ahead of him, it's a minuscule difference since it's only a few more spots in front of him. Just comes down to preference at that point.

On 5/18/2018 at 2:20 PM, Fiveohnine said:

Has Lindor ever taken Kluber deep?

Didn't think so. Check mate!

8 minutes ago, erik vulaj said:

Start playing like a 1st rounder, already 

He's a SS who is going to finish with a .280 BA, ~30 HR, 80+ R, 100+ RBI 

This isn't fantasy basketball .. people take players early for their high floors. He doesn't need to finish top 15 in the rankings to justify his top 15 ADP.

Correa is a set and forget who will provide a ton of 4 category value and has upside for more given his youth. Whether that upside materializes is anybody's guess but he's a really good bet -- at the very least -- to not regress from his current established baseline-performance since he's only 23.

Embargo Lifted should be banned from using the phrase "high floors" at this point. He's run it into the ground 10x over.

Correa's been a big disappointment so far. His K% is up, his HardHit% is down and his average exit velocity is down 1.4 MPH from last season. XStats says he deserves a .272 average so far and his BABIP is reasonable so this isn't a matter of hitting into bad luck either.

7 hours ago, erik vulaj said:

Start playing like a 1st rounder, already 

He is never going to be that guy, and people need to accept it.

6 hours ago, absknicks said:

Embargo Lifted should be banned from using the phrase "high floors" at this point. He's run it into the ground 10x over.

Correa's been a big disappointment so far. His K% is up, his HardHit% is down and his average exit velocity is down 1.4 MPH from last season. XStats says he deserves a .272 average so far and his BABIP is reasonable so this isn't a matter of hitting into bad luck either.

I don't think anyone is claiming bad luck. No, Correa hasn't been a league winner so far, but he's not the reason you're losing your league either. 

on May 25 last year, do you know what correa was batting? .276 with a .361 OBP and .455 SLG. That went with 6 HR, 24 RBI, and 28 runs. 

A week later, do you know what he was batting? .316 with a .390 OBP and .524 SLG. he hit 3 HR and had 10 RBI and 7 runs scored. 

Stop. Over. Reacting. 

4 hours ago, mevins31 said:

He is never going to be that guy, and people need to accept it.

Yeah, a declaration I'd make about a 23 year old who has already put up MVP level #'s and howns a career 162 game average line of 95 R, 38 2B, 29 HR, 111 RBI, 12 SB and a .286/.365/.495 line. I'll grant you that he's unlikely to steal 10+ again, but he it's not a stretch for him to approach that total. 

So, a guy who has done that at age 20-23 will never be a first round talent? I find it hard to believe we've seen the best he has to offer. You won't find many guys who can sniff 110 R and RBI while hitting .300+ and 35+ homers. Scariest part is that's probably not even his "ceiling."

11 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

I don't think anyone is claiming bad luck. No, Correa hasn't been a league winner so far, but he's not the reason you're losing your league either. 

on May 25 last year, do you know what correa was batting? .276 with a .361 OBP and .455 SLG. That went with 6 HR, 24 RBI, and 28 runs. 

A week later, do you know what he was batting? .316 with a .390 OBP and .524 SLG. he hit 3 HR and had 10 RBI and 7 runs scored. 

Stop. Over. Reacting. 

It's not an overreaction to point out and discuss what's gone wrong for him so far. These aren't cheerleading threads, they're meant for meaningful discussion. Citing his #s a year ago at this time doesn't tell us anything meaningful. 

What you posted may help explain why he's hitting like he is, but they are also part of a small sample either. One week of playing very strong baseball can push those #'s past where they were last year. If you are comparing his #'s to where they were last year I'm sure they are down across the board. The guy was electric last season. 

Citing how his #'s changed over the course of a week at this point last season is meaningful. Especially when owners think he's been such a disappointment. I would say calling him a big disappointment is an over reaction. Paul Goldschmidt? Big disappointment. Anthony Rizzo? Big disappointment. Those guys could very well be costing you your league. Guys like Correa, Bryant, even Votto may not be performing at the level you'd expect, but 1 big week from any would alleviate any concerns at this point in the season.