Arrowhead

Jose Altuve 2018 Outlook

Just now, EmbargoLifted said:

Tough last 7 days: batting close to .200 with 2 R, and 1 RBI

Watching tonight's game - 2 line drive outs straight at Gordon in CF and another out made on a jumping catch off the RF wall by Haniger.

Just some poor luck. 

• Like 1

2 XBH all year so far.

If the balls really aren't juiced anymore - or less juiced - wonder how that impacts his power. 

13 minutes ago, absknicks said:

2 XBH all year so far.

If the balls really aren't juiced anymore - or less juiced - wonder how that impacts his power. 

Shockingly, it’s been super s***** in Seattle.  Cold, wet, miserable day.  Ball isn’t going to travel a ton in this horrid weather.  

• Like 1

Pretty boring start to the season compared to other studs: 0HR you'd think would lead to more steals but only 1SB.

He's getting on base enough, worry his steals might be taking a dip now at his age? He usually gets his steals in early on. 

I seem to remember him starting off slow last year as well.  Same thing with Bregman.  Stay the course...  He will be the stud we all drafted him for.    my.02

4 hours ago, BIGFLY4MIKETROUT said:

Has anyone seen his at bats?

Is he already on the decline starting this year?

Decline? Not even close. Were not even through the first month of the season. He goes on one hot streak and we're not having this conversation. A slow start for a superstar is nothing to be concerned about. 

5 hours ago, BIGFLY4MIKETROUT said:

Has anyone seen his at bats?

Is he already on the decline starting this year?

Ummm...yes..definite decline. I'll trade you Lowrie for him?

• Haha 1

Definitely too early to worry. His ISO is .051, though... he's not driving the ball at all. Even that double yesterday was a product of the RF playing shallow and would've been an easy flyout in most situations. 

Anyways, he'll be fine (not top-5 fine, IMO, but still fine), but I do think 24 HR isn't going to happen again now that the balls aren't quite as juiced anymore. 

Edited by absknicks

25 minutes ago, absknicks said:

now that the balls aren't quite as juiced anymore. 

Cite?

Im only worried about the lack of steals. Might be a product of age and that heavy lineup, but we came for the steals more than the power.

Agreed...1st round bust at this point with that empty average. If you drafted him #2 overall, you are probably losing your league right now

46 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Agreed...1st round bust at this point with that empty average. If you drafted him #2 overall, you are probably losing your league right now

This is silly. Not even a month into the season yet he's a first round bust? Give it another month or two and if it's still the same results then I'd agree with you. But I highly doubt it. He steals 2 more bases and hits 2 home runs  and we're not having this conversation

4 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

This is silly. Not even a month into the season yet he's a first round bust? Give it another month or two and if it's still the same results then I'd agree with you. But I highly doubt it. He steals 2 more bases and hits 2 home runs  and we're not having this conversation

That's why I said up to this point...my league counts losses in April so not sure why I have to wait for the #2 overall pick to complete his extended spring training and then start helping in all categories

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

im a pretty patient owner and I still think he is going to be solid...but do have buyers remorse over taking him at #2....

21 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

im a pretty patient owner and I still think he is going to be solid...but do have buyers remorse over taking him at #2....

That will go away 

Wonder what I can get out of him currently, need to try and save some value. Dude is not worth squat in ops leagues

• Haha 1

Just now, tommy2guns said:

Wonder what I can get out of him currently, need to try and save some value. Dude is not worth squat in ops leagues

lol.  Last 5 years:

2014 - .830

2015 - .812

2016 - .928

2017 - .957

2P18 - .808 (86 AB)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tommy2guns said:

I think he's actually more valuable in OPS leagues since OPS is so much driven by batting average and i doubt there are too many guys who can produce an OPS of .900 while stealing 30 bases, and scoring 100+ runs. 

• Like 3

Even with only 1 SB, and 0 HR, he's ranked in the top 100 after 23 games. 

Can't imagine how good he's going to be once he finds his HR stroke and starts being more aggressive on the base paths. My only concern at this point is that the Astros lineup is so good, and that they invested so much money in Altuve that they aren't letting him run. 

5 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Even with only 1 SB, and 0 HR, he's ranked in the top 100 after 23 games. 

Can't imagine how good he's going to be once he finds his HR stroke and starts being more aggressive on the base paths. My only concern at this point is that the Astros lineup is so good, and that they invested so much money in Altuve that they aren't letting him run. 

The issue is he's always run early in the year before, and says himself he likes to get his steals in early before he starts to fatigue later in the year. Having only 1 steal so far I really am starting to wonder if his big steal numbers are over, we might be looking at 15 max this year.

He might be more of a 20-15 guy with a great AVG going forward now. Still really good just not a first rounder with the fewer steals.

Can't find a good chart to paste, but its all on FG just look at his monthly splits for past years. Averages around 7 steals in Mar/Apr and he's currently on 1. https://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits.aspx?playerid=5417&position=2B&season=0&split=2.1

Losing this guy to being just another mediocre MI has sunk my team. Waste of a 1st round pick