Arrowhead

Jose Altuve 2018 Outlook

Maybe he's nursing some leg issue. Would explain the lack of power and steals. (Lower body problem can sap power too)

Why does altuve suck now?

Just now, Dr. Whom said:

Why does altuve suck now?

because you own him ... he knows

• Like 3

On 4/26/2018 at 4:04 AM, RustyMiller said:

Hey Guys!  I finally hit a homerun! Aren't you happy now that you picked me #2?  Guys?

042518_altuve_silence_med.gif

Same as fantasy owners reactions everywhere right now.

On 4/25/2018 at 11:04 PM, RustyMiller said:

Hey Guys!  I finally hit a homerun! Aren't you happy now that you picked me #2?  Guys?

042518_altuve_silence_med.gif

Ugh...I drafted a tool. Worst pick ever and his teammates hate him as much as we do

• Haha 2

Willie Mays production with a Mike Gallego frame.  Amazing.  I am still perplexed by his lack of SB attempts given how much time he is spending on first. 

Not running at all. He s gotta be dealing with some minor leg issue. Would explain the lavk of power too. He s now back to his 8 hr days.

dude's a baller but it should be mentioned houston doesn't need to steal as many bases as they've done in the past to score this year unfortunately. 

56 minutes ago, maybach said:

dude's a baller but it should be mentioned houston doesn't need to steal as many bases as they've done in the past to score this year unfortunately. 

Agreed...he is no longer a first-rounder and will be luck to return top 75 value. If he was your first round pick, you already lost this year

5 hours ago, maybach said:

They were easily one of the best offenses in the league last year (to no one's surprise) and Altuve still had 30+ 

I looked at his SB profile last year and he has some months of only 3 SB sandwiched in between months of ~8 SB ... hoping he really gets things going this month. We need him to 'burst' with like a 5 SB week quick or his value is going to start tanking fast.

5 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

They were easily one of the best offenses in the league last year (to no one's surprise) and Altuve still had 30+ 

I looked at his SB profile last year and he has some months of only 3 SB sandwiched in between months of ~8 SB ... hoping he really gets things going this month. We need him to 'burst' with like a 5 SB week quick or his value is going to start tanking fast.

Should we expect more power too?  The OBP Altuve has put together is just fine.  But with the lack of power and speed its a very hollow OBP.

16 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Agreed...he is no longer a first-rounder and will be luck to return top 75 value. If he was your first round pick, you already lost this year

Not if you traded him away already. I saw the signs and moved him in a big deal getting Gordon for my main steals source.

He usually gets a lot of his steals in early, so I wasn't taking the risk that this is the year he becomes a 15SB guy. Still think the power comes but can't bank on it staying at that level for such a small guy, so might dip to around 15-20 too. Not really 1st round production if that happens, more 3rd round.

.320 BA, ~20 HR, 100 R, 90 RBI, ~20 SB still seems reasonable at this point. 

And even if he has an off year: .310 BA, 15 HR, 90 R, 10 SB, 80 RBI is still really solid (as a floor) ... although not any one category really pops out it's the collective that still makes that kind of 5 cat performance valuable in its own right.

It's the first round picks where someone misses large chunks of the season or has a total off year (think Miguel Cabrera 2017) that you REALLY have to avoid at all costs. A ho-hum year from Altuve is still a team that can win a league championship, granted the rest of your team was drafted competently. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted
  • Like 2

Really happy to have acquired this cutie in dynasty.

Statcast so far this season vs last shows slight variance:

- Higher AVG Exit Velocity (86.3 vs 85.5)

- Increased Launch Angle (11.9 vs 9.1)

- Increased xBA (.288 vs .281) -- of note, he's super fast so xBA will be generally low for him as it's all launch angle and velocity not running speed.

- Decreased xSLG (.460 vs .471)

- Decreased xWOBA (.350 vs .358)

I don't know about you guys, but when I draft first round talent, I'm drafting for safety first; upside second. My upside picks are in the middle rounds. With that said, I believe Jose Altuve will be at minimum a third round value with the potential of the best fantasy player in the game (assuming no injury you cheeky fellas). That's a hell of a floor with damned good upside.

The Astros as a team are struggling on offense right now which is depressing his value. Jose isn't going to swiping bags left and right if the team is putting together 20+ inning scoreless streaks on offense. You don't give away outs in front of your best hitter at the moment, Correa, even if you are really good at stealing. Slash stats of 2018 vs 2017 for the Astros:

YEAR: AVG / OBP / SLG / wOBA

2017: .282 / .346 / .478 / .349

2018: .250 / .328 / .393 / .318

World Series hangover is real right now. There is an 85 point drop in slugging 2017 to 2018 and they lost no offensive players! :o I've watched the majority of their games and a lot of their at-bats and they look like they are pressing and there is a lot of pent up frustration right now. The bottom side of their lineup is an anchor dragging them all down.With that said, they have a slugger nicknamed "Ted" in the minors right now, Kyle Tucker. I wouldn't be surprised to see him called up in the next month to provide the spark they need. 

The Astros are going to be fine. He's going to be fine. I'll leave this here for you folks doubting his 2018 power: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:08 AM, Fenamo said:

Really happy to have acquired this cutie in dynasty.

Statcast so far this season vs last shows slight variance:

- Higher AVG Exit Velocity (86.3 vs 85.5)

- Increased Launch Angle (11.9 vs 9.1)

- Increased xBA (.288 vs .281) -- of note, he's super fast so xBA will be generally low for him as it's all launch angle and velocity not running speed.

- Decreased xSLG (.460 vs .471)

- Decreased xWOBA (.350 vs .358)

I don't know about you guys, but when I draft first round talent, I'm drafting for safety first; upside second. My upside picks are in the middle rounds. With that said, I believe Jose Altuve will be at minimum a third round value with the potential of the best fantasy player in the game (assuming no injury you cheeky fellas). That's a hell of a floor with damned good upside.

The Astros as a team are struggling on offense right now which is depressing his value. Jose isn't going to swiping bags left and right if the team is putting together 20+ inning scoreless streaks on offense. You don't give away outs in front of your best hitter at the moment, Correa, even if you are really good at stealing. Slash stats of 2018 vs 2017 for the Astros:

YEAR: AVG / OBP / SLG / wOBA

2017: .282 / .346 / .478 / .349

2018: .250 / .328 / .393 / .318

World Series hangover is real right now. There is an 85 point drop in slugging 2017 to 2018 and they lost no offensive players! :o I've watched the majority of their games and a lot of their at-bats and they look like they are pressing and there is a lot of pent up frustration right now. The bottom side of their lineup is an anchor dragging them all down.With that said, they have a slugger nicknamed "Ted" in the minors right now, Kyle Tucker. I wouldn't be surprised to see him called up in the next month to provide the spark they need. 

The Astros are going to be fine. He's going to be fine. I'll leave this here for you folks doubting his 2018 power: 

So you're expecting Altuve's power and base stealing prowess to come together in due time?  I have Ozzie Albies too, so I'm getting tempted to deal Altuve for help at First or Shortstop.

4 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

So you're expecting Altuve's power and base stealing prowess to come together in due time?  I have Ozzie Albies too, so I'm getting tempted to deal Altuve for help at First or Shortstop.

I think he just had his worst month of this  season.

8 minutes ago, Fenamo said:

I think he just had his worst month of this  season.

I drafted Altuve over Bryce Harper.  Really hoping that 5'6'' Second Baseman rewards my faith.  Come the end of the season is expecting 20+ Homers and 30+ steals too much.

24 minutes ago, Magnus88 said:

I drafted Altuve over Bryce Harper.  Really hoping that 5'6'' Second Baseman rewards my faith.  Come the end of the season is expecting 20+ Homers and 30+ steals too much.

I didn't have the guts to take Harper at 2 with his variability, although I debated between the two. I feel a blazing streak in the near future, team as a whole is still hungover from the long season last year, once the team warms up it will be worth it. I'm not sure about the 30 sb's but 20-20 should be no problem. 

The month long tear will come and this will be a distant memory we can all laugh at come July...

• Like 1