Arrowhead

Jose Altuve 2018 Outlook

trying to un-jinx him/ half serious...

wouldnt take him top 10 if we were to draft today

Really hope he starts to get some SB quick. I was worried about Whit Merrifield just a few weeks ago (about him not running anymore) and he now has 7 SB. 

Everything else about Altuve's profile looks fine. 

I'm getting really frustrated with the hollow OBP and nothing else Altuve is providing.  It's taking a fair amount of self control not to start shopping him around, since I know I'd be selling low.

On 5/7/2018 at 3:53 PM, Magnus88 said:

So you're expecting Altuve's power and base stealing prowess to come together in due time?  I have Ozzie Albies too, so I'm getting tempted to deal Altuve for help at First or Shortstop.

Albies and JoRam have a  very good chance to finish ahead of Altuve.  I had a feeling they would being switch hitters who excel from both sides.  I still see Altuve as no worse than the 3rd option at 2B though so  it might be a decent time to do that move if you can get someone like a Hoskins or a #3-5 ranking SS (Lindor would be optimal, or maybe a Baez (coming superstar) plus another top half of the league player at another position).

He stole a bag today???? I drafted him 2nd overall for empty batting average, but some steals would be a plus!!!!

Hoping Altuve gets on a hot streak soon.  If so I might attempt to deal him for a package built around an elite Shortstop. I'm a Corey Seager victim by the way.  Semien is a decent stopgap player.  But long term I'd like someone better at Short.

So we're about 1/4 of the way done with the season and he's hit 2HRs and has 2SB. Hot streak imminent or is it time to start being seriously concerned here? 

18 hours ago, the_wolfman said:

So we're about 1/4 of the way done with the season and he's hit 2HRs and has 2SB. Hot streak imminent or is it time to start being seriously concerned here? 

0-5 today.  Maybe the stros need to take him out of the lead off spot.   

he's literally been swinging at everything..really disappointed in him so far, but you gotta think he has a huge hot streak coming.

would he be a top 7 pick if we drafted today? i dont think i would be the one pulling the trigger

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed CSB

On 5/14/2018 at 1:07 AM, colepenhagen said:

would he be a top 7 pick if we drafted today? i dont think i would be the one pulling the trigger

On 5/13/2018 at 7:23 PM, benturn22 said:

he's literally been swinging at everything..really disappointed in him so far, but you gotta think he has a huge hot streak coming.

Hot streak based on the track record?  Altuve is still getting on base at a decent clip.  So I'm wondering why he isn't at least trying to steal.  Change to a more conservative base running approach for Houston?

Trying my best to remain patient and not sell low on a proven commodity.  But Altuve has the most hollow quality OBP you can imagine.  No power or speed at all.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

On 5/13/2018 at 10:07 PM, colepenhagen said:

Hell no

Anyone have any theories as to the severe power/speed decline?  For the lack of stolen base attempts either a low body nagging injury or a concerted effort by Houston to be less aggressive on the base paths makes sense.

And for the lack of power is his average exit velocity in decline?  Or maybe cutting back on launch angle of his swing?

His average exit velocity is actually up from 85.5 MPH in 2017 to 86.9 in 2018. But I don't think that means much for a guy with his profile. I really think it's the balls not being juiced to the same degree that's cutting into his power. 

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

His average exit velocity is actually up from 85.5 MPH in 2017 to 86.9 in 2018. But I don't think that means much for a guy with his profile. I really think it's the balls not being juiced to the same degree that's cutting into his power. 

Is Home Run production down across the league if the composition of the balls are different?

1 minute ago, Magnus88 said:

Is Home Run production down across the league if the composition of the balls are different?

Haven't seen anything about that in a while. There was a piece in The Athletic last month that noted how the balls were acting differently and not traveling like they did the last couple of seasons. I doubt that would cut into the big sluggers HR total much since when they barrel one up it's going to go far with or without a juiced ball... but a guy like Altuve? I could definitely see it impacting him. 

i got laughed at when i said i was gonna take Betts or Harper at the 3rd pick...  really sucks so far i took Altuve.. DAMN.  Where did the power go? He rolls over everything

Almost everything as it relates to power and batting average is there .. but only 2 SB after near 2 months of the season is worrisome as hell

30 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Almost everything as it relates to power and batting average is there .. but only 2 SB after near 2 months of the season is worrisome as hell

ha you mean avg?

43 combine rbis+runs which is not good at all (for ref. mookie  47 runs, machado 42 rbis)

you want to get into advancced metrics with the power dont bother idc 

altuve is ahead of goldy for bust of the year imo as you dont expect a top 1-3 pick to be a 1 cat producer so far. (altuve does look like the safer bet to return value ROS compared to goldy)

i would not touch  altuve top 25 in a draft today not a high floor with non elite power/ non elite speed player. with no need or desire to run ( trout, areando, trea, mookie, blackmon, stanton, harper, bryant, correa, lindor, gary, judge, jdm, maachado, jo ram,  springer, max, sale, kluber sev, verlander, kershaw, degrom, cole, stras, freeman 

It's a small sample size .. Altuve will get 15-20 HR with a BA well over .300 and all of the R/RBI that comes with hitting well above average in the middle of one of the best lineups in baseball (the rest of the hitters in that astros lineup will heat up no doubt about it). The R, RBI, AVG, HR will all be in line within the range of what most people expected. It's the lack of run game/sb attempts, and the unpredictability with whether or not that part of Altuve's game is over that is REALLY calling into question his value right now and it's a legitimate concern. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted

Of course this guy is a complete bust at his adp... Sell for a top 50 guy if you find a sucker who still believes.