Arrowhead

Jose Altuve 2018 Outlook

Another steal today, to go along with one a couple days ago.  Keep it up, you little 5'6'' underachiever.  Now we just need some pop from his bat.

what is going with this guy... i just don't get it. Ive never had this high of a pick go bad for me (3rd pick). Could of nabbed Harper or Betts like wanted to. Every time i check the box score.. 1-4 , 0-4 , 1-3 with a single.. what am i missing?

Looks like a mediocre year. Hard to see him suddenly finding the magic. 0 for 4 while his team explodes.

20 minutes ago, whyamiajetfan said:

what is going with this guy... i just don't get it. Ive never had this high of a pick go bad for me (3rd pick). Could of nabbed Harper or Betts like wanted to. Every time i check the box score.. 1-4 , 0-4 , 1-3 with a single.. what am i missing?

When Altuve is on, there isn't a player in the league that matches his 5 category performance. 

It's a looong season, and this early in the year, it still only takes a hot string of games to really skyrocket up the rankings.

7 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

When Altuve is on, there isn't a player in the league that matches his 5 category performance. 

It's a looong season, and this early in the year, it still only takes a hot string of games to really skyrocket up the rankings.

idk? 2nd in the AL in hits, couple hits shy of 1st. power was expected to go down. 

Edited by cdd10

31 minutes ago, whyamiajetfan said:

harper? 3rd?

• Thanks 1

The season is nearly one third over. It is not that early.

Whatever's done is already done, so it's not like he's automatically gonna make up for the poor first two months. This is looking like a .315 10 20 type of season. Good numbers for a mid round pick, but not top 3.

1 hour ago, papasmurf said:

The season is nearly one third over. It is not that early.

Whatever's done is already done, so it's not like he's automatically gonna make up for the poor first two months. This is looking like a .315 10 20 type of season. Good numbers for a mid round pick, but not top 3.

10hr! 20sb!  if thats true ill be sick..  its brutal to watch. ill even take some doubles at least.. how many XBH did he have last year? like 55-60? i guess this should be under the vent page haha sorry.. 

If he keeps this up, this will be his lowest ISO since 2013. But back then at least he ran. He's playing like Starlin Castro so far. But pretty soon we will be at the halfway mark.

I tried to find his avg fb distance data but failed. I did see that his avg batted ball distance actually went up a few feet compared to last year, but the data counts gbs so it's not very helpful data.

He's actually hitting the ball harder and hitting more liners than last year. Does anyone have access to launch angle data? Maybe he's not hitting enough fliners. 

Last year's his avg HR distance was over 390, this year it's around 350-360, and he's hit only 2.

Having said that I know Barry Bonds was batting under .200 at the end of May one season and went on to win the MVP.  Still have hope.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

15 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

2 months is enough of a sample statistical size for me to say that Betts and Ramirez and maybe Lindy have moved ahead of him ATM and Albies is coming (Ultimately I see him as a .300 hitter).

Hard Hit % 2017 28%

Hard Hit % 2018 35%

Soft Hit % 2017 19%

Soft Hit % 2018 12.8

LineDrive% 2017 20%

LineDrive % 2018 27%

GroundBall % 2017 47%

Groundball % 2018 41%

Hr/FB 2017 12.7%

HR/FB 2018 3.6%

• Like 3

19 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Trout? Mookie? JoRam?

49 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

his HR were expected to drop imo

To maybe 15 or so perhaps.

Granted, a mini power binge will get him on that pace, but given that he's still hitting the ball hard but not homering, this may mean either his current approach isn't power friendly or simply that really the less juiced ball is impacting him.

• Like 2

4 SB in his last 6 games and the peripherals all look solid/in line with his career. 

Astros hitting hasn't been as good as it was last year, but that should change since most of their young core is in tact and a year older (and presumably better).

Given Altuve's slow start, we probably aren't going to get a career year or anything ... but if he closes with 15 HR/20 SB from here on out with 65 R/ 60 RBI we should be in good shape.

Last 2 games: 6/9, 5 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 SB 

This early in the season, a couple more games like this, and he's easily in the top 25 again. Nobody fills a stat sheet like Altuve. It's the super elite contact skills, combined with the above average power, top 3 lineup, and the SB efficiency. 

Stud.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

#7 ranked player last 2 weeks

#1 ranked player this past week with a nasty 9, 3, 10, 3 .375 week 

Altuve gonna Altuve bruh

Maybe he's reading the forum haha.

Finally putting together a few elite games.

That makes 1 player on my team hitting  :)

A couple weeks ago some Altuve owners were ready to dump him for a player with back end top 50 ADP value.  Now that he's hot again anyone looking to sell high?  Or is the old Altuve likely back permanently?