Arrowhead

Jose Altuve 2018 Outlook

I think you still gotta hold on Altuve, right? He's only just now started to pay return on your investment and with his elite skill there is a chance this is sustained. You still can't get back 2nd or 3rd pick value yet so might as well hope he gives you what he can and let him build his stock if you want to move him. 

Lets face it, when he's on, he is a true 5-cat contributor that only Trout can match. (JoRam has been great but in a redraft today would you really take him no2 or no3?) That simply cannot hurt your team and letting his value build only helps his draft stock. 

24 minutes ago, Malefide said:

I think you still gotta hold on Altuve, right? He's only just now started to pay return on your investment and with his elite skill there is a chance this is sustained. You still can't get back 2nd or 3rd pick value yet so might as well hope he gives you what he can and let him build his stock if you want to move him. 

Lets face it, when he's on, he is a true 5-cat contributor that only Trout can match. (JoRam has been great but in a redraft today would you really take him no2 or no3?) That simply cannot hurt your team and letting his value build only helps his draft stock. 

Really?  Who on earth would dream of dropping Altuve?  Next thing you know someone will be asking about holding Trout when he hits a little dip.

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Really?  Who on earth would dream of dropping Altuve?  Next thing you know someone will be asking about holding Trout when he hits a little dip.

Sorry, I meant "not trade" when I said hold, obviously would be JR smith level foolish to drop lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malefide said:

Sorry, I meant "not trade" when I said hold, obviously would be JR smith level foolish to drop lol

Okay glad to hear it.  "Hold" is usually defined as "not drop" so you had me worried there.  B)

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

4 minutes ago, Malefide said:

You could trade Altuve, but now he's clearly commanding a top 10 talent in return.  It's possible that in the middle of his "slump" you might have poached him for a bit less but I think that window has clearly closed.

• Like 1

Another 2 SB tonight ... whewf .. for a moment there i was REALLY worried his running game was going to be seriously suppressed. There's a MASSIVE value difference between a 15 SB altuve, and a 30 SB altuve 

After 5+ SB in the last couple of weeks he's looking like he's almost right back on pace to push ~30 again this season.

Edited by EmbargoLifted

On 6/1/2018 at 8:40 AM, Malefide said:

Still waiting for true five category production due to the lack of Homers.  Loving the high OBP and steals, but  my team's biggest offensive deficiency is power.  Anyone expecting the Homers from Altuve to come soon?

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed BC Content

On 6/7/2018 at 12:37 AM, Magnus88 said:

Still waiting for true five category production due to the lack of Homers.  Loving the high OBP and steals, but  my team's biggest offensive deficiency is power.  Anyone expecting the Homers from Altuve to come soon?

It depends on what you were expecting .. 

I had him down for 20-25 HR range and although he's off that pace at the moment, all it really takes is a mini HR binge to get right back on it.

I do know this though; as an Altuve owner in several very competitive leagues, i was regularly getting offers for him during his slow start. There's a lot of demand out there for a second basemen who can hit .330+ steal 30+ bags and hit for above average power in the middle one of the best offenses in baseball.

If your team is deficient in power i would start sending out offers.  You will have no shortage of interest, that's for sure!

Edited by EmbargoLifted

On 6/7/2018 at 1:37 AM, Magnus88 said:

He's not going to be a 25 homer guy every year with his profile. I'll take the elite OBP, runs, and steal production from a very thin position. 

FG had an article about him fouling a ball off his foot or something like that and compared pre and post production.

It would make sense if true. I kept thinking he was playing hurt.

Even if he hits between 12 to 15 homers I would still be happy.

Between him and Segura my middle infield's been very good, but somehow my team BA is still .257... thanks to my incredible ability to costanza with my lineup decisions at the periphery (streamers and matchup guys and such).

In any case, Altuve is probably more of a top 15 top 20 guy rather than a top 2.

Fire, say hello to Altuve...Hitting over .400 his last 14 days with 3 HR and 3 steals...

He's been the #1 player in fantasy the last 30 days:

25 R, 5 HR, 19 RBI, 8 SB, while batting .400 (44/110)

That is just 5 cat gold, especially in a year where BA & SB are way down across the board 

This guy is literally carrying people in 3 cats (R, BA, SB) and still providing value in the other 2 as well (HR, RBI) 

• Like 3

Hit #27 twice yesterday . . . the Astrotrain can not be stopped this year

3 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

He's been the #1 player in fantasy the last 30 days:

25 R, 5 HR, 19 RBI, 8 SB, while batting .400 (44/110)

That is just 5 cat gold, especially in a year where BA & SB are way down across the board 

This guy is literally carrying people in 3 cats (R, BA, SB) and still providing value in the other 2 as well (HR, RBI) 

Which is why this board in April is just pure gold. This and the Goldy thread especially

I think a .330 / 20 / 100 / 85 / 30 season seems a reasonable expectation at this point ... that would give him another top 5 finish on the player rater for sure 

i haven't owned altuve since back in the day when he was a mid round draft pick (first few seasons of his career) 

i have to say .. given all the drama with a lot of players in the first round this guy's combination of filling up the box score and playing everyday makes him a real pleasure to own. 

there's also ALL kinds of freely available power off the waiver wire this season (guys who hit HRs but drag down batting average) ... Altuve's many ABs with a .340+ BA has made it possible to pick up a lot of those waiver wire guys and enjoy their power contributions while still allowing to be competitive in BA 

• Like 1

i like how they just leave out the part about the career low of sb

We’re not used to seeing Altuve even have a mini slump, but he was in a 4-for-24 (.167) rut coming into Friday’s game. The strong night brought his batting average back up to .337, which is tops in all of baseball. It’s hard to complain too much when Altuve still has very solid numbers, but he’s on pace for his lowest home run and RBI totals since 2015.

(Rotoworld.com)

Edited by colepenhagen

There has been no announcement by the Astros on the injury. However, Altuve was seen cheering on his teammates on the top step of the dugout as they left the field at the end of an inning, so it does not appear he left for the hospital for any reason.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Knee soreness from running out a hit - that's not good at all.  Hope it's only a strain and not a tear...

Or hopefully it’s just tweak . Looks like it popped up when fielding a grounder

44 minutes ago, afgolfman666 said:

Or hopefully it’s just tweak . Looks like it popped up when fielding a grounder

Yea I agree

Rotoworld blurb says it has been bothering him for a few days.  Expect less production for the rest of the season.

On 7/26/2018 at 12:15 AM, B&F said:

Rotoworld blurb says it has been bothering him for a few days.  Expect less production for the rest of the season.

Seems a little early to be stating it will impact his production rest of season, IMO.