Arrowhead

Jose Altuve 2018 Outlook

Been watching mlb network all afternoon and they had an interview with someone who reports for the Astros and he said it was just precautionary and isn’t considered anything that will keep him out for a while. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Anyone else getting increasingly concerned? The team made it sound like the injury was no big deal, then he winds up on the DL and we haven't heard a peep since.

16 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Anyone else getting increasingly concerned? The team made it sound like the injury was no big deal, then he winds up on the DL and we haven't heard a peep since.

If they make a move today for a 2b, sure. 

If not, seems like this thing just needs some rest.

That said, he hasn't be doing a whole lot of late, and increasingly is becoming bust material based on draft position. 

I'm not concerned yet. It was only 3 days go they placed him on the DL retro to the 26th. If we were a couple days away from his eligible return date, which should be this Sunday, then I'd be somewhat worried. That being said I don't think he'll need a rehab assignment like say Correa does because he hasn't been out long to think we might not hear anything til later this week doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

Edited by BostonCajun

He's expected to start hitting and running again on Friday and If all goes well he'll.be back next week. 

I honestly think this was all to give Altuve extra rest. He has played a ton of baseball the past 2 years.

Hopefully he can get back to stealing again when he comes back. The bat was always there but the Sbs have not been enough to be worthy of that early 1st round pick.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Febonacci said:

I honestly think this was all to give Altuve extra rest. He has played a ton of baseball the past 2 years.

Hopefully he can get back to stealing again when he comes back. The bat was always there but the Sbs have not been enough to be worthy of that early 1st round pick.

Played a ton since his first full year.

3 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Any word on how his activity went Friday and any speculation on return date ? 

Slow walking his return, won't be back until Thursday it seems now.  

Between the power outage, the Astros under achieving lineup, the less aggressive basestealing, and now the lingering DL stint, this top 5 pick is looking more and more like a bust ...

Projection systems see his final 2018 line looking something like:

.320 / 90 / 15 / 70 / 20 

That is about as disappointing a season as one could possibly hope for from the player with the 2nd highest draft cost in the league heading into the year

Edited by EmbargoLifted
  • Like 2

Jose Altuve has been ruled out through at least Tuesday and will return to Houston to have his ailing right knee examined by team doctors.

It's not clear whether Altuve has suffered a setback or if this was always part of the plan. Either way, with an off day Thursday that means he's not going to return at least until Friday. We should know more about Altuve's status early this week when he's examined.
Aug 5 - 2:23 PM

Really hope this is precautionary.

No way was this part of the plan all along.  You feel better after the initial exam found nothing and you play - they were talking about him and if he would play this weekend at one point - if the plan was always another look by the team doc than they would have said so from the outset.  This reeks of his knee not feeling any better and wanting the doc to take another look at it to find if there is a reason for it. 

• Like 1

Astros getting hammered with injuries.  Correa should be back soon but Springer messed up his thumb on a headfirst slide to a base today.  A's are 5 something games back of the Astros so their comfort level can't be too relaxed.

Anyone think Altuve actually returns this week? Would love to start him over Peraza in a weekly league, but just don't have any confidence he's actually going to return after the SF series. 

8 minutes ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

Anyone think Altuve actually returns this week? Would love to start him over Peraza in a weekly league, but just don't have any confidence he's actually going to return after the SF series. 

If I were in a weekly league I would not be starting him. I hope he comes back and think he will but then again I thought he would Sunday and he didn't. 

Edited by BostonCajun

Not starting him in a weekly. This has slowly escalated since he first went on the DL. Need to hear some good news soon.

Concern level rising.  

If he isn't ready today I am assuming it will be another week.

2 minutes ago, B&F said:

Concern level rising.  

If he isn't ready today I am assuming it will be another week.

He's already ruled out for Today and tomorrow.  Concern level should grow Thursday if he is out.

Yeah it looks like at best he is out this entire week only.

Hinch said team doctors were happy with his progress and that they have a good plan in place to keep inching forward. The use of the word inching doesn't lead me to believe he's going to be back this week. 

• Like 1

Since we're talking about a knee injury I would think there is a legitimate possibility that once Altuve returns he may be conservative on the base paths.  And Altuve without Stolen Bases becomes a lot less appealing.  Anyone else thinking of dealing once Altuve is off the DL?