Arrowhead

Jose Altuve 2018 Outlook

6 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

Since we're talking about a knee injury I would think there is a legitimate possibility that once Altuve returns he may be conservative on the base paths.  And Altuve without Stolen Bases becomes a lot less appealing.  Anyone else thinking of dealing once Altuve is off the DL?

[Removed Cool Story] I also think his days with 30+SB are over. He's now in his late 20s and hes in a great lineup when healthy. He doesn't need to risk it anymore. For the next few years, I could see 100 runs, 20HR .310/.380/.460 20SB. Still a top 20 player, but no longer a top 3.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

2 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

Since we're talking about a knee injury I would think there is a legitimate possibility that once Altuve returns he may be conservative on the base paths.  And Altuve without Stolen Bases becomes a lot less appealing.  Anyone else thinking of dealing once Altuve is off the DL?

lol what is this 1995 ? nobody is going to not know about Altuve's knee .. any trade at this point will be cents on the dollar. 

If we want to try to find some silver lining here maybe Altuve has been running less because of the knee...and now after getting a few weeks off with some treatment he comes back like vintage Altuve. :unsure:

According to this report, it's August 17th @ OAK at the soonest for a return now.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Jose-Altuve-to-miss-rest-of-Astros-homestand-13147964.php

Jose Altuve will not play during the remainder of the Astros' six-game homestand, manager A.J. Hinch confirmed on Friday, prolonging the absence of Houston's reigning American League Most Valuable Player.

Battling an injured right knee which sent him to the disabled list on July 29, Altuve has still not progressed to running at full speed. Both he and Hinch are optimistic it could be attempted again during this weekend's series against the Mariners.

This is the first DL stint of Altuve's eight-year major league career. It's caused him to miss 17 consecutive games — counting the five he will now miss during this homestand.

Edited by EmbargoLifted

IMHO, ligament sprain.  Hopefully won't turn into a total tear.

2 hours ago, STLSU said:

Not good, but not horrible:

https://climbingtalshill.com/2018/08/15/astros-jose-altuve-will-play-the-rest-of-the-year-with-discomfort/

Says he will DH as much as possible while Marwin and Yuri man 2nd.

It's bad.  Players need their knees to hit well.  

I had a feeling this was going to be a down year one way or another for him.   Didn't listen to my gut.

a sprain is a tear. 

he probably has a MCL tear or something along those lines. Maybe meniscus tear.

Its just funny that the astros took him out of a game on a wednesday, with a day off thursday and said he would prob be back that friday. now a month later, still dealing with discomfort. 

Reports are that Altuve could go on a minor league rehab assignment this weekend.  In a league where lineups are submitted weekly, as opposed to daily, is Altuve too risky to start next week? 

Really liking Houston's matchups next week.  Three lefties and nothing in terms of elite RHP.  So I'm itching to pull the trigger on starting.  Is expecting a return from the DL by Tuesday unrealistic?

Sounds like he could be back as early as Monday ...He's heading to Tacoma for a Triple AAA game tomorrow and it just so happens Houston is in Seattle Monday..Hinch said that he wants him to get 3 or 4 at bats and 6 or 7 innings in the field and then they will determine next step after that.  Good news.

So much of Altuve's game is related to his athleticism/speed. Beating out singles, stretching singles to doubles, doubles to triples, stealing bases, making tons of contact, running the bases efficiently and scoring tons of runs, etc. etc. 

All of that is hampered with a sprained/bad knee. 

Altuve is also a volume player (he's usually a lock for 155+ starts) so his batting average has even more impact on your fantasy team's final standings. 

[Removed Cool Story] 

9 HR, 14 SB from your #2 pick, 5 months into the season is really bad by any measure.

We all need to cross our collective fingers that the time off allowed a bad knee he was dealing with all season to heal up .. and he comes back with the knee feeling better than ever .. and just goes on a vintage Altuve tear ... 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Hit in upper arm. They say it was probably a bruise.  Would have been his last at bat anyway they say.

Edited by jwblue

Basically gotta root for a tight finish to the AL West.

Otherwise Altuve probably won't be running much even if he's capable.

Nursing a knee. HOU looking to repeat.

Just now, benturn22 said:

hoping he's back tonight, but probably tomorrow..assuming all went well yesterday.

I think they were shooting for Tuesday to get this guy back in the lineup. If you are an Altuve owner (or the Houston Astros) it's time to get giddy with excitement.