brockpapersizer

Tommy Pham 2018 Outlook

On 4/26/2018 at 1:08 PM, to_be_quite_frank said:

Please do yourself a favor and read his SI feature if you haven't already. He's a fascinating guy and extremely focused and motivated. I can see his personality rubbing people the wrong way, but I find his brutal honesty refreshing. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/04/02/tommy-pham-st-louis-cardinals

Wow, thanks for sharing the article. I love the chip-on-his-shoulder attitude and how keyed in he is to sabermetrics and his own advanced biomechanics. I know it's a cliche take and the best analytics are best served without an emotional attachment but goddamn, he is driven, determined, and I hope he turns himself into a household name soon rather than later. The guy certainly deserves it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, varock said:

Wow, thanks for sharing the article. I love the chip-on-his-shoulder attitude and how keyed in he is to sabermetrics and his own advanced biomechanics. I know it's a cliche take and the best analytics are best served without an emotional attachment but goddamn, he is driven, determined, and I hope he turns himself into a household name soon rather than later. The guy certainly deserves it. 

Glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was one of the best interviews of any athlete I've ever read. 

The mental image of Pham just doing swings in front of the mirror until he gets tired for sleep lol

On 4/26/2018 at 3:08 PM, to_be_quite_frank said:

Please do yourself a favor and read his SI feature if you haven't already. He's a fascinating guy and extremely focused and motivated. I can see his personality rubbing people the wrong way, but I find his brutal honesty refreshing. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/04/02/tommy-pham-st-louis-cardinals

Quoting this because I want to also chime in and agree that everyone should read this. There are a few opinions that I don't really "agree" with in the article, but good God, I love Tommy Pham. I love that he's willing to call out management and the FO. I love that he's uncensored and raw. I love that he knows that might make him unpopular, but he doesn't care, because he believes he's right. I love that he's unabashedly Tommy Pham. Most interviews sound like Mr. Athlete McAthlete, but if you actually listen to Pham regularly, you can actually hear his voice.

One of my favorite interviews was in Colorado last year, around two and a half weeks after getting called back up, and he was getting interviewed about what he eats and he just drily says "I eat what I want."

Also, he was on the local sports network (as mentioned here already)a few days ago talking about how he sustained a head injury. And besides the fact that you can tell how much he wants to play in that interview, even with an injury, he just casually mentions having been stabbed. And yeah they followed up with him and it did happen, it wasn't hyperbole:

Dude is driven as hell. The "hard knocks" athlete might be something of a cliche at times, but he's been there, and that's part of why he's so driven to drink in all the baseball he can to be the best he can. It's already showing again this year considering he's sitting near the top of the WAR leaderboard...

Edited by Philoumenos
  • Like 2

Pham thinks he's as good as Trout. No Joke:

• Like 1

Walked and stole a base in the first inning. Pinch hit for in the 2nd inning. Right groin tightness. 

Smart to get out of the game and rest.  Hopefully he gets tomorrow off and ready for Monday. 

1 hour ago, ktierne3 said:

Somebody give this man a groin massage!

??

• Like 1

MRI did reveal irritation with his hip abductor. Pham the gamer says he's going to try to give it a go tonight but I'm not holding my breath. The dude has been a monster all year but these consistent health hiccups are scary. Wondering if it would be wise to sell high on his .442 OBP and 20/30 pace once that DTD clears next to his name.. It's tough because he's actually returned value from that ~55-60th overall ADP but he's due for slight regression no matter what as it is, health not included..

Edited by Motown_Magic

I will gladly take a couple more days off if it gets him to ~100%.  Don't want him to push it, regardless of what he is saying.

I forget where I heard it, but I think he said he plans to play today.  Unless you have really good options to replace, I think he's worth the risk.  If he was DL bound or they were on the fence about it, then he probably would have been held out yesterday from pinch hitting.

As an aside it’s good to see that he’s one of those guys now that plays well notwithstanding an injury.

If there was a metric that measures drive and grit he’d be pretty high.

• Haha 2

2 for 4 tonight with a solo hr and 2 runs scored. Now hitting .330 on the year with a 1.007 OPS.

19 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

He's definitely not rusty.

Another hr tonight. 2-4 with a hr and 2 RBIs. Avg up to .336 and OPS approaching 1.100 :o

• Like 1