brockpapersizer

Tommy Pham 2018 Outlook

That other article's title is a really goofy way to frame Pham's current status. He's having vision problems and hoping they're squared away by Opening Day. They're still not squared away though:

On the other hand, Tommy Pham struck out three more times, giving him 19 in 17 games and his spring average dipped to .170. Pham has been working on his mechanics lately. But he said after the game that he may have to his eyes checked.  He has vision issues throughout his career but conquered them last year when he was the Cardinals' best player.

"It's frustrating where I am right now," said Pham. "There's a whole lot of problems going on.

"Last year, I had a bad spring but I had vision-related issues. We'll see."  

Article from today.

25 minutes ago, HighHeat11 said:

you guys are panicking over Spring training numbers? Pham is a stud. 

I think it has more to do with the fact that people are worried about his vision problems.  Are they definitely going to be squared away again this season by Opening Day?  Hopefully, but just today alone, there's been two conflicting articles posted in here.

If there was no mention of any vision related issues, I don't think as many people would be concerned about his Spring Training numbers.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HighHeat11 said:

I don't think anyone here is seriously concerned about his ST numbers in isolation, especially considering they were putrid last year too.

People are concerned that (again) the bad ST numbers are tied to a vision problem, which goes back to what I was saying yesterday. His vision problems are a constant, moving target. So not only do you have usual injury issues (which he's had), not only do you have the general ups and downs of everyday play...you've also got serious eye issues that need daily attention.

He's a great player, but that kind of seems like a scary thing to contend with, especially for fantasy purposes. I probably wouldn't pass on him in a draft, but I'd definitely consider it if I were going to draft him and thinking about his ADP.

Edited by Philoumenos
  • Like 2

Pham did reveal that he had lost his right contact lens from last year. “Right before spring training started,” he said, “I went to put it in my eye and the wind blew it away. (Jose) Martinez and (Miami’s) Miguel Rojas were down in the dirt searching to find my lens.”

He said his doctor had been sending him replacement lenses and he thought the match was really close to the one he lost. He said he was seeing 20-20 out of the right eye, as opposed to 20-15 last year, and he thought he was seeing the ball well on defense. Indeed, he handled a knuckle-balling liner hit at him in center Friday.

“I’m trying to get my mechanics fixed first, and then I’ll worry about my vision,” said Pham. But that was two days ago.

“Right now, I need to stop throwing away all my at-bats,” he said. “I’m striking out and I’m not walking a whole lot to reverse that trend. (Walking) gives me a chance to get on base until it starts clicking. I can still help out stealing bases and on defense. But, with our lineup, I really have to get on base.”

Matheny said, “He’s not seeing the ball right now. There’s always mechanical things that go, but his is literally not seeing the ball as well. Once he gets that figured out, he’ll be great.”

my take on this - it sounds like his eyes haven't physically gotten any worse, he's just having lens issues. i think this is something he can get sorted out over time. he's done it multiple times before. but the possibility certainly exists that it could be a rough april.

my approach to this would be to ride it out in leagues where you already have him. in leagues where you don't, it's fair to not draft him if you don't want to deal with this, but i'd also be kind of lurking waiting for him to have a rough april and for everyone to give up on him as a fluke, and then try to grab him cheap and hope he fixes things by a couple weeks after that

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Snagged him at 64 last week and knew it came with some risk. Not feeling at all better about it today. He's usually positive and upbeat. "There are a whole lot of problems going on right now" with 5 days until opening day. Yikes. Holding strong and hoping that we are overreacting. Helped me win my 'ship last year, hoping for the best. 

A late scratch today to go to the minor league fields and take as many at bats as possible. He's working hard at trying to get right. And he was doing about the same thing last spring.

• Like 1

When a player is having an issue they will rarely say anything negative.  When they do say something negative that is a red flag.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jwblue said:

When a player is having an issue they will rarely say anything negative.  When they do say something negative that is a red flag.

This.  "Hey guys,  my eye problem really sucks and is getting worse.  I noticed my ADP is way too high for what I plan on accomplishing this season.  Just give you all a heads up"-- said no player ever lol

4 hours ago, jwblue said:

pham's unusually honest, though. it's kind of a thing

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jwblue said:

I think that's generally true, but Pham isn't exactly your most clean-cut PR friendly guy. The dude is usually pretty honest about what he's doing and what he thinks about what's going on around him.

He fell to the 8th round in my 12 team mixed league and I just couldn't  ignore him there.....grabbed him quickly.

if he hits .270 and 20/20 I'd be happy at that price.

*No jinx*

If Pham doesn't have the kinks worked out by opening day and Mitch Haniger isn't on your bench available to sub in, my boy Grichuk (poor man's Pham?) above the border has a chance to have a decent first few weeks IMO, once he gets by Tanaka's junk.

1 hour ago, bbythepier said:

*No jinx*

If Pham doesn't have the kinks worked out by opening day and Mitch Haniger isn't on your bench available to sub in, my boy Grichuk (poor man's Pham?) above the border has a chance to have a decent first few weeks IMO, once he gets by Tanaka's junk.

I'd say Grichuk is more like a homeless man's Pham than just poor.  They aren't even close.

As for Pham, before all the talk about his eye issues and such recently, I was hoping he would somehow slide down to me with my first pick after our keepers in my keeper league draft.  I've been considering just skipping him all together (if he slid down to me in the first place) and taking somebody else, but maybe it's more that his mechanics are off than his eyesight being a long term issue again.

• Haha 1

Did all that extra work on the minor league side yesterday. Today so far he's 2-for-2 with a walk and two singles, and two stolen bases, against Strasburg. Just saw him take a nice AB with a liner the other way. And he hasn't wiffed on a day in which Strasburg has 10 Ks through five innings. Promising.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caelum said:

Did all that extra work on the minor league side yesterday. Today so far he's 2-for-2 with a walk and two singles, and two stolen bases, against Strasburg. Just saw him take a nice AB with a liner the other way. And he hasn't wiffed on a day in which Strasburg has 10 Ks through five innings. Promising.

Definitely promising.  It may or may not be a gamble, but I think I'll move him back up to near the top of my post-keeper round draft rankings.

On 3/23/2018 at 8:53 PM, HighHeat11 said:

I would be careful throwing around the term "stud" would you take him in the first 2 rounds?

Is he even top 5 at his position?

With his eye condition it's worth noting that he's worse in Day Games. Almost all spring games are during the day.

His splits last year back up that theory. I think the minor league work he did got him down the straight and narrow. As long as he remains selective at the plate with his OSwing% in check, i think he'll be primed for a repeat season

image.thumb.png.6588a8bf9476f7f1b3d54616e3cd6c63.png

• Like 3