The 7th Beatles

Giancarlo Stanton 2018 Outlook

All my OFs are playing well except Stanton. How can i bench him against a lousy sp like Tomlin? So i was forced to sit deshields. 

Man stanton really sucks now. Benchable vs. righties. 

Echoing what I and others have already said here; man has it been frustrating owning this guy to begin the year.

New league of pitchers

Frigid temperatures

Pressure of playing in NYC

etc

I'm banking on a HUGE second half. I can't bother myself with agonizing over his splits in early May.

If I'm overly concerned with how slow/poor Stanton has started out, it's only because the rest of my team has given me little else to complain about.

• Like 4

I find it interesting that a lot of people attributed the cut in his strikeouts last year due to his closed stance. Except now, with that same stance, he's striking out more than he ever has. So was last year just a matter of variance in terms of the decrease in Ks or will the closed stance still help him cut Ks in the long run and he's just struggling with the adjustment to a new team/ballpark/league etc... Definitely interested in finding out the answer once we get a larger sample size

Rest day today. The funny thing about Stanton is that even though he's played like garbage up until this point, he is still among the league leaders in slugging percentage and exit velocity. I'm hoping that based on that underlying data, a turnaround will come soon. We've seen flashes of it, like last Monday. 

I just traded for him today. I’ve owned Stanton every year since he first came up.

This is standard. He will go a long stretch of looking completely lost at the plate, usually early on. Then he’ll tweak something minor in his stance and turn it on, making me think it’s half mental. Basically the real life batting version of Nuke Laloosh. I only ever worry about freak injury with him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He's murdering lefties but benchable vs. righties now. He must not be picking up the ball well from righties for whatever reason.

Many times have I regreted not sitting him vs. RHPs. The only time I sat him this year was vs. Verlander. 

With my luck the next time I sit him he will break out vs. RHPs.

11 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

He's murdering lefties but benchable vs. righties now. He must not be picking up the ball well from righties for whatever reason.

Many times have I regreted not sitting him vs. RHPs. The only time I sat him this year was vs. Verlander. 

With my luck the next time I sit him he will break out vs. RHPs.

He hit 44 Hrs off RHPs last year. I don't think he forgot how to hit them, and will likely break out at some point. I get benching him in daily leagues against a tough RHP, but I wouldn't do it right now. He's batting .310 in may with 5 HRs. I could see a breakout against RHPs coming very soon. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

BUY LOW WHILE YOU SHEEPLE CAN QUIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Phreedom32 said:

Updated thoughts anyone? He’s been a bore. 

And then he will yoke 2 tomorrow.  That’s how he rolls.

Been saying it for weeks to friends and heard Smoltz say it on the national broadcast tonight as well: he's way too closed off in his stance to have a chance against RHP right now. I watch every Yankees game and he's often lucky to even draw contact against righties. Been tough to watch.

5 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Been saying it for weeks to friends and heard Smoltz say it on the national broadcast tonight as well: he's way too closed off in his stance to have a chance against RHP right now. I watch every Yankees game and he's often lucky to even draw contact against righties. Been tough to watch.

Well not saying you're not right but he must disagree with you if he keeps doing it right? I mean he's probably aware of the pros and cons to his stance right?

35 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

Well not saying you're not right but he must disagree with you if he keeps doing it right? I mean he's probably aware of the pros and cons to his stance right?

FYI...

https://www.mlb.com/news/stantons-closed-stance-fueling-hr-surge/c-249747112

Imo, pitchers have made an adjustment to how they are pitching him with the new stance and he has to adjust again.  Right now, what he is doing is not only leaving himself open to hard stuff inside (esp from righties), but more notably, he is chasing breaking stuff down and away a lot now.  Does not seem to be able to identify it and lay off.

Edited by secretagentman

this guy is really testing my patience. cant believe how bad he looks at the plate. how THE HELL did he hit 59 HRs and win MVP? 

Be patient. He was on a similar pace last year and then went completely off.  It’s not like he’s been completely dreadful. The dingers will come. 

I repeat: Buy-low while ya can. Same thing happened last year.

Edited by ZChronicNebula

When is he going to open his stance up? He was no where near this closed off in years prior. Just flat out ugly giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, evillaw4eva said:

tenor.gif?itemid=11205391

Meanwhile, at Yankee stadium...

His approach/stance is soooo ugly right now. 

Verlander tomorrow, Morton on Tuesday... might be a good time to give him a couple days off in a row. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, absknicks said:

This is spot on! I watched him bat today (I don't get too watch many games) but his stance with the right leg back and closed off looked absolutely horrible, and he had no chance at contact on a ball even slightly out and away from the zone. And against Richards a mediocre SP like he was scared..it wasn't Verlander!  What gives? I'm sure he watches film with his management-fix this or else you're being shipped Mike!